not good news for Polaris sled owners

euphoric1

Not good...an understatement, especially with riding season not too far off. 230,000 snowmobiles affected? no fix...yet and a world seriously affected with supply chain issues? this will likely go over like a lead balloon. Hopefully issued early enough to come up with a fix and be able to correct before season.

saber1

I think most people will just send it if it burns it burns on a positive note trails might be less crowded

mrbb

and I doubt polaris will have enough NEW sleds to fill demands, if they give an incentive to trade sleds in to make customers happy!

favoritos

Problem with that is I don’t think insurance will cover you if notified to NOT RIDE.
Lawyers wouldn't want to play for sure.
The good news if I'm reading it right, the issue seems to be long term storage and initial starts.
I wouldn't be too concerned about actually riding.

Overall, it's a bummer deal. That is a pretty good sized quantity of machines. It will take some resources and time to get them done. Maybe when the cure is announced, we could get the parts and have fix it parties. We could get a pile of owners together, with a little supervision for legal, and whip these things out before the snow flies.

euphoric1

yeah, not quite sure why it would only be after storage and initial startup after storage, what would be different to create the charge that would cause a potential fire.

mrbb

yeah, not quite sure why it would only be after storage and initial startup after storage, what would be different to create the charge that would cause a potential fire.
just a guess but poor venting or venting into a pocket where gasses build over time and get trapped ?
where as running and moving the sled while driving, gets air flowing to get rid of pockets of fumes to ignite ??
just a guess here, off the top of my head!

ddhanna

And why only with degraded fuel. I would think fresh fuel would be more troublesome.

G

G

And why only with degraded fuel. I would think fresh fuel would be more troublesome.
Don't know but my guess would be that ethanol is eating a particular connector hose. When the ethanol destroys the hose you get a leak. And then a fire. But I have no basis for this. Just a guess.

euphoric1

I'm sorry, I can't wait to hear fix because issue makes no sense to me, a few theories thrown out here but no matter how much you vent there will always be gas fumes in a gas tank, or what is storing the energy and creating the ignition to allow fumes to ignite....inside the tank. And I'm sure the wonderful EPA will not just allow simple venting system and hopefully for Polaris's pocketbook not new tanks or fuel system across the board. Again I am curios as what the fix will be to a problem that really makes no sense.

hybrid

there are metal electric fuel pumps in these plastic tanks
bet there is a loose connection or bad grounding issue causing a spark

G

G

If they need new tanks on 230000 sleds that will be a nightmare. There is no way Polaris can get that done in a timely manner. People will just ride them.

mrbb

If they need new tanks on 230000 sleds that will be a nightmare. There is no way Polaris can get that done in a timely manner. People will just ride them.
hey that might be the plan, as this way if they warn you and you ride, they don't end up liable, and like said before, nor will most likely your insurance cover things
which gets the sleds out of peoples hands and no cost to them!

these days nothing surprises me with how MFG"S handle problems like this

its like so many company's that have poor customer service, where its at the point, they designed it to be so frustrating, that most folks give up before the company has to do anything for you! they count on you giving up, and them not having to help you, or replace things!