NW Vilas 1/16

pclark

As I write this morning it was freezing rain at 6am and by the looks of the radar it will be like that until this afternoon when it might stop and give us a dry window until tonight when it could transition over to snow with a couple of inches. Tuesday looks to be more snow than mixed precipitation and then Wednesday night into Thursday could bring more snow (it looks like that storm can't make up it's mind where its going?) One report has us seeing anywhere from 3-7" of new snow this week which would be perfect. We have faired pretty well so far but need some colder temps. Grooming won't do much in these temps but the long range looks to be cooling at night into the 20's and single digits by Friday night.

goofy600

33 degrees and freezing rain on Cisco chain and have already seen a group of 2 and 3 cross the lake, not what I would want to ride in. Hopefully the snow hits all of us up here.

rph130

31 degrees and rain in Presque Isle at 9am. Snow starting to slide off of the metal roof with additional rain weight. Short ride yesterday on Presque Isle/Winchester trails. Surprised to see how nice the trails were after the heavy weekend traffic.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
SHOOT2KILL

54 Sleds....225,000+ Miles....$1,000,000 Spent on the Sport Since 1969

Your tag line/signature is of interest. 54 sleds? Can you name them? That's like a new/different sled every year for the last 50 years, impressive! Not that I'm doubting you but that's over 4,000 miles a year, some on bogie wheels. Care to elaborate?

SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL

Your tag line/signature is of interest. 54 sleds? Can you name them? That's like a new/different sled every year for the last 50 years, impressive! Not that I'm doubting you but that's over 4,000 miles a year, some on bogie wheels. Care to elaborate?
Had them listed a few years ago over @ HCS in my sig...One of the douchey admin/mods deleted it...For almost 3 decades I was averaging 7500-9k miles yearly...Some years I purchased upwards of 4 new sleds in single seasons...Heres a small handful...Wont be making any major additions to the sled count...Decided to try a new aspect of sledding longevity...Going to see how many miles I can pile on my 22 gade 6...

Attachments

• img013 (1).jpg
    img013 (1).jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Sleds.jpg
    Sleds.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 47
  • img010_1_.jpg
    img010_1_.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 44
  • img032.jpg
    img032.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 48
  • img033.jpg
    img033.jpg
    782.7 KB · Views: 50

pclark

Well… it’s 5 degrees cooler up north and still raining up there soo….
As of 4pm still a light freezing rain in Vilas, It only got to 34 today but it was one miserable day and the ice on everything was natsy, people taking spills everywhere. It is supposed to snow this evening, hope so, things could use a fresh coat of white. We took a little bit of a hit today but it could have been worse. Near the towns will be the worst, for the record i did not see very many people out on the trails today and if you were that must have been one crappy ride!

pclark

33 degrees at 6:30am on Tuesday morning, no new snow, not too much change overnight as I look out my window. I have to go down to Minocqua today so i'll report back later this afternoon on what I see on the trails.

nhra1000

SHOOT2KILL

Had them listed a few years ago over @ HCS in my sig...One of the douchey admin/mods deleted it...For almost 3 decades I was averaging 7500-9k miles yearly...Some years I purchased upwards of 4 new sleds in single seasons...Heres a small handful...Wont be making any major additions to the sled count...Decided to try a new aspect of sledding longevity...Going to see how many miles I can pile on my 22 gade 6...
Curious where you lived during the years you rode 8-9K per year and what riding area?

SHOOT2KILL

if you were that must have been one crappy ride!
I rode in the same crap last friday...Extremely fine freezing mist all over Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas...
Curious where you lived during the years you rode 8-9K per year and what riding area?
Elmhurst,il...Janesville,Wi...Chased snow the entire time...Theres 72 counties in Wi...I have ridden in 69 of them...Pierce, Pepin, and 1 other county are all thats left on the bucket list...Probably a solid 80,000+ of the miles have been in the U.P....I burned up a lot of riding partners who couldnt handle multiple 350 mile riding days in a row...

Last edited:

old abe

I rode in the same crap last friday...Extremely fine freezing mist all over Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas...

Elmhurst,il...Janesville,Wi...Chased snow the entire time...Theres 72 counties in Wi...I have ridden in 69 of them...Pierce, Pepin, and 1 other county are all thats left on the bucket list...Probably a solid 80,000+ of the miles have been in the U.P....I burned up a lot of riding partners who couldnt handle multiple 350 mile riding days in a row...
What kind of employment did you have that you could get the time off? Seems you have 3 counties left, that are some of the best left to do!

euphoric1

All I have to say with the last couple days of weather is.... WOW!!! Thanks for that!!! looking good! maybe someday we could hook up with you and ride!!