Off-trail Geocaching - Go find it!

cuzzinolaf

5 inches in the woods.

You are looking for Skylar's lost height from birth somewhere in the area of Pine Dam Lake.

Latitude: 46.918918
Longitude: -88.902247

Micro cache near Donken, MI. Approach from the east. The coordinates will take you to the area of a small inland lake along a snow covered road. Once in the area you'll notice all the tall trees, tall shrubs, tall beaver dam, and some other tall stuff. Enjoy the added height if you need it or leave it for Skylar.

racerx

Just curious, is this going to be posted on GC.com? Altho I'm pretty sure I can't get to this one at least during the winter. BTW Right now the closet cache is 2.3mi to the southeast.

Here are to coords in other formats.
N 46 55.135, W 88 54.135
N 46 55 08.10, W 88 54 08.09
16T E 355164 N 5197910

Yep this is what I do when not on the sled...

cuzzinolaf

I never thought about people doing this in the winter to be honest. It was more of a joke because of all the recent threads about off-trail and where to go. I'm sorry Skylar got dragged into it but can't take full credit for that one LOL. I figured if everyone wanted to give up their secret spots (JOKE) that this would be the way to do it.

scott_b

I had a co-worker that would head out west once or twice a year with a large group. They used to split up into groups of 3 or 4 and head their own direction. One year (shortly after GPS became available to civilians) their group ended up with 2 GPS units and over drinks (all good ideas start over drinks) they decided each group would head out with a 6 pack of beer, find a cool, remote location, bury the beer deep, and leave some sort of marker as to where to dig. The next day they would erase the track log and trade GPS units with only a way point on the map, you make it to that location, you get a beer. He said it was much harder than you would think, especially w/o topo maps.

I like to believe this is how geocatching was born...

racerx

I have done some snomocaching before and already got one in Lando this season and a DNF east of Watersmeet due to snow cover, well a month ago when there was some decent snow and I got a good ride in. When I saw this thread I was searching the Houghton/Hancock area for caches I can do when I'm up there later this month since I want to knock off another MI county. So yeah we are out there in winter but I don't do a lot since it is hard to stop a group when out on the trails to search in the snow which is hard so I usually do this when I'm alone.

rocky367

I've done a little bit myself on the sled around my area, and have a ton hidden along the trails where I can. I did a ton of snowshoeing last winter and in December I did quite a bit also, so far January has been slow.
The hidden spots are what is great about geocaching and finding them. Sounds like we could almost start a snowmocaching group.