Oil change kit for Ski Doo 900 ace

whitedust

Of course the Ski-Doo dealer is going to say that, would expect nothing less. OEM dealers want a monopoly of what you buy for your machines and they will say and do anything to advance that agenda. OEM branded oils are big business and many OEM's pressure their dealers into an oil program. Buy X amount of our oil, get a discount on you parts program. So dealers have to move the oils and convincing the customers that everything is no good is what many do.
A Yamaha dealer told me the same thing, not Pats. I brought in M1 0-30 full syn and the guy had a fit told me my sled would never start below 0. He got so pissed I walked out never went back. Long and short of it me and many buds all used M1 0-30 full syn worked great.

pclark

I get it guys, I witnessed the hard starting last winter, proof will be if it starts easier this winter. On the other hand I did the math, with buying all the gasket/o ring, filter, and oil it's basically the same price. It cam today so I'll be changing the oil soon.

smokenjoe

I get it guys, I witnessed the hard starting last winter, proof will be if it starts easier this winter. On the other hand I did the math, with buying all the gasket/o ring, filter, and oil it's basically the same price. It cam today so I'll be changing the oil soon.
I buy the kit because everything is in the box and it get sent to my house in Winchester. I paid 84 dollars on Amazon in August, when you live where we do sometimes it pays not to drive all over hell to find what you want.

pclark

I buy the kit because everything is in the box and it get sent to my house in Winchester. I paid 84 dollars on Amazon in August, when you live where we do sometimes it pays not to drive all over hell to find what you want.
You got that right Smoking Joe! We love Amazon Prime, they probably lose money with our account having to deliver free up here.

indy_500

You got that right Smoking Joe! We love Amazon Prime, they probably lose money with our account having to deliver free up here.
I live 5 minutes from a distribution center. Man, is it convenient but boy oh boy is it annoying watching the trucks drive by all day! In the past month or 2, they have been converting the Greenville facility over to the new electric vans. Have to ask, are you seeing them up there by you guys yet? They look like something out of a movie.
IMG_6415.jpeg

smokenjoe

I live 5 minutes from a distribution center. Man, is it convenient but boy oh boy is it annoying watching the trucks drive by all day! In the past month or 2, they have been converting the Greenville facility over to the new electric vans. Have to ask, are you seeing them up there by you guys yet? They look like something out of a movie.
View attachment 69179
We only have UPS or Fed Ex for the most part, no Amazon vehicles at all

pclark

View attachment 69179
Indy, we don't get any Amazon trucks up here, it's all contracted out to mostly UPS with maybe 10% going to FEDX. My daughter lives in Naperville, IL and they get product the same day, up here it takes at least 5 days, sometimes a week before it makes it up here, no big deal to me, just order it ahead of time. I honestly think it would suck if we didn't have Prime.

old abe

I spoke with a buddy of mine who comes up for a week every year and he had hard starting issues last year (running Mobil 1 synthetic and aftermarket filters. A trusted Ski-Doo Dealer told hime that the Ski-Doo brand oil has cold weather additives in it and make starting in -15 temps easier. I ended up buying the kit on Amazon for $89, that way I have all the O rings, gaskets, etc.
That Doo dealer is either very stupid, or he's a liar. If using the proper, and recommended viscosity oil there is no difference. Mobil 1, 0W40 has a very low temp pour pt. as does the Doo oil.

old abe

Assuming you meant ACE, I changed it for you. I believe the Kit is the same price at all dealers and on-line. What I've done in the past is buy the Filter from my dealer and then use the Mobil1 0/40 Full Syn. in the 5 gallon jug. You won't need the whole 5 gallons so there's some left over for the next time.

I usually change mine at the end of the season, last spring I dropped one of the plugs down into the bulkhead and it's lost forever. I recall that little drain plug cost around 9 dollars to replace.

There are times when I'm reminded that "snowmobiling is inexpensive", said no one ever!
Hmmm? Perhaps the 5 qt. jug instead of 5 gal. ?

old abe

Yep, I say to each his own! I believe Amsoil 0W40 has the lowest cold pour pt.? Doo also offers 0W20 for severe cold climates. I've experienced many 30 to 50 below mornings in Ontario and my 900 ace started every time with the Mobile 0W40.

jshabadu

The viscosity of an oil is measured by its resistance to flow. There are two numbers that define the viscosity of an oil. The first number ends with the letter 'W', which stands for Winter. This measurement is related to how an oil flows when it is cold, such as at engine start-up. The second number is defined by how an oil flows when at higher temperatures normal engine operating temperatures.

old abe

The viscosity of an oil is measured by its resistance to flow. There are two numbers that define the viscosity of an oil. The first number ends with the letter 'W', which stands for Winter. This measurement is related to how an oil flows when it is cold, such as at engine start-up. The second number is defined by how an oil flows when at higher temperatures normal engine operating temperatures.
You are correct on Viscosity. However the same 0-W-40 oils, can have different pour pts. depending on the brand of product/producer. Pour pt is the ability of oil flow when cold.