Oldest snowmobile item you own

heckler56

What is the oldest item you still own related to your snowmobile life? For me it is these boots. They are now 54 years old. Got them when I was 11 and my parents let us boys rent a Homelite snowmobile. I was hooked and have been riding ever since.

These boots have been with me through high school, college in the UP in the 70’s, marriage, two kids, 11 dogs and 8 snowmobiles.

Attachments

• 08AB3C3A-098E-475E-85BA-F7B7761ED81F.jpeg
    08AB3C3A-098E-475E-85BA-F7B7761ED81F.jpeg
    971.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 09A4FA7F-8831-44F3-B6BD-909C1FA3CAF2.jpeg
    09A4FA7F-8831-44F3-B6BD-909C1FA3CAF2.jpeg
    470.6 KB · Views: 18

hybrid

ya i would have to say the same thing
my boots are the oldest thing i still have
Sorel boots are awesome
very warm boots
i have a pair that I have owned since the early 90s
mine are the taller all black ones
pretty sure they still sell them
I still use them every year
i have had to replace the laces twice and the liners once
they are still in great shape

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a good question. Most of us gravitate to the newer items and trends as snowmobiling and gear have been improving since the days of your Homelite. I think my Gear Bag may be 20 years old but everything else has been upgraded over time.

euphoric1

not sure which is older and I apologize I dont have pics but 2 items 1st item 1 quart of "SHALER" RISLONE "Special" Snowmobile oil, from The Schaler Company, Waupun Wisconsin, contains..."monochloronaphthalenes" whatever that is, but from graphics on can would place it late 60"s very early 70's item #2 1971 Johnson Rampage. Again not sure which is older.

TDVectorLTX

I still wear a Yamaha neck gaitor that I got when I bought my first brand new sled in 1986 (Enticer 340); so this season it will be 35 years old.

heckler56

Do you still have it?
Nope. Totaled it on trail 417 between Marquette and Munising on new years eve 1979/1980 when the trail was still a rail line (trying to rundown a drunk driver). I did get a another in 1982 but blew a piston ~1988 and gave it to my brother’s neighbor, who then moved to northern WI.

bearrassler

I have some clothing items from the late 60’s and early 70’s but the oldest that I still use is my Polaris Ice Rider boots from 1991, i got a pair of Sorels in the early 70’s that I used for snowmobiling, hunting, and many other outdoor activities, and replaced them with my current boots in 1991 so only 2 pairs of boots for about 50 years of riding

old abe

not sure which is older and I apologize I dont have pics but 2 items 1st item 1 quart of "SHALER" RISLONE "Special" Snowmobile oil, from The Schaler Company, Waupun Wisconsin, contains..."monochloronaphthalenes" whatever that is, but from graphics on can would place it late 60"s very early 70's item #2 1971 Johnson Rampage. Again not sure which is older.
I still use Shaler Rislone regularly, added to crankcase engine oil in some 60's vintage tractors that I had installed turbo chargers to. Doing so as to keep the valve guides/valves from sticking due to increased air intake charge, thus lack of lubrication, dry. Once I realized what was happening, and why it was happening, I added the Rislone, problem solved. We always used Rislone added to break in oil after engine overhauls. Good stuff, it works. These tractors are still running fine with many years, and thousands of hours of use.

old abe

What is the oldest item you still own related to your snowmobile life? For me it is these boots. They are now 54 years old. Got them when I was 11 and my parents let us boys rent a Homelite snowmobile. I was hooked and have been riding ever since.

These boots have been with me through high school, college in the UP in the 70’s, marriage, two kids, 11 dogs and 8 snowmobiles.
I too still have my oldest item, the Sorel Premium boots, that were sold back then by John Deere in the late 60's/70's. No rotten, or cracked rubber. Still usable outside of the are completely smooth due to a lot of use over the years. My first pair of LaCrosse Iceman (mid 70's) are also still good, with no rot. I am now using Cabela's 2000 Inferno thinsulate boots, and highly recommend them.

BigSix

My Walls Blizzard-Pruf snowmobile suit. I got it in the late '70s but it doesn't fit me any more LOL! Still have it though.
Walls.jpg

legend02

I have two pairs of Lacrosse boots from about 1990 that I still wear around the house

I also have a few old snowmobile coats from the mid 90s

One I let other people wear sometimes if they want and the skidoo coat hangs in the trailer in case it’s needed to work on some thing I also use it to snow blow round the house