One Man's Trash

skiroule

Regardless of the project, it’s always kind of a weird feeling when it’s done. Maybe because it’s hard to believe it’s actually finished.

Thought it would be worthwhile to re-post a couple of starting point photos, in addition to a couple of the maiden voyage today. Thanks to everyone that followed along!

She runs like a Boss and is an absolute blast to ride! Makes it all worthwhile

Start_1.JPG
Start_2.JPG

Finished_1.JPG

Finished_2.JPG

D

Deleted member 10829

As always, very impressed with your work! That first picture looks like it could be a marketing photo for the brochure when the sled was new. Well done Kelly!! I love the before pictures to compare to the finished product. 2 thumbs up!!

Now comes the question; what's next? :)

skiroule

Thanks guys! It's a good feeling to save an old Bird from the crusher.

Now comes the question; what's next? :)

Great question! I definitely have some projects in mind that hopefully could be completed in less time (including a pretty cool one). Doubt if I would do another board "blog" for the next project though. Maybe some photos when it's complete :friendly_wink:

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kelly, I hope you realize there's not many guys on the planet that can do work like this. Excellent craftmanship, NOW PARTY LIKE IT'S 1972!!!

J.Glenn

Thanks guys! It's a good feeling to save an old Bird from the crusher.

Great question! I definitely have some projects in mind that hopefully could be completed in less time (including a pretty cool one). Doubt if I would do another board "blog" for the next project though. Maybe some photos when it's complete :friendly_wink:

I'm sure it takes some additional time to do progress/before/after pictures along the way and post in a blog, but I for one, have enjoyed following your progress in bringing the old iron back to excellent condition! I typically don't comment much on here but I thought it was worth it in this instance.

So, if you're doing another project, I would definitely follow along (even if from the sidelines) on the journey, just as I did this one. Excellent job!

mezz

I agree with J.Glen, I have enjoyed following your progress, not only on this, but your previous endeavors. You do such "high class" work, it really is something special. I realize that not only does it take your time to do the work itself, add in the time to put it on-line, that is a chunk out of your clock. It's been fun. She sure looks good on the snow! Enjoy. -Mezz

skiroule

NOW PARTY LIKE IT'S 1972!!!

I’m afraid that if I partied like it was 1972 (I was 23), it would take a week to recover now :biggrin:.

It’s really rewarding that a number of you follow and enjoy these types of projects, especially in this case where it was such a long time to completion. It means a lot!

Capturing the state of a project in photos is not really a big deal, in part because I take a lot of photos for help in re-assembly anyway. It’s amazing how much you forget about putting things back together. In addition to the photos, I think a project thread tells a story and I do find myself looking back on things that have happened along the way.

Making a project public can be pretty intimidating but more importantly, can be a motivator. Once it’s started, you really don’t want to let people down that are looking forward to the finished result. So far, I’ve been lucky with completions but I can’t help but wonder if the day will come when I’ve pushed my luck too far. We’ll see what the future holds. I’ve got a few months to think about it.

garageguy

Everytime I visit the site, I check your thread for updates. Watching the progress is very interesting. Fantastic work!!! Please continue to document additional projects.

jccams

I also don't post much but always follow your builds Kelly. This one was especially interesting to me as I grew up watching people ride these by my house and dreaming of someday owning one (never did). Thought then and still do today that they were beautiful. Yours is nothing short of a work of art. Since I could never pull off what you have accomplished following your journey was the next best thing.

skiroule

I can’t tell you guys how encouraging it is to hear that you have an interest in these old sleds. They were built in a very unique period of snowmobiling history.

This one was especially interesting to me as I grew up watching people ride these by my house and dreaming of someday owning one (never did). Thought then and still do today that they were beautiful.

I owned a 72 SS back in the day (which I foolishly sold) and now having worked on this project, I’ve tried to figure out what it is about this Chaparral sled design that makes it so appealing to me. I don't have an answer but I also think it’s one of the most beautiful sled designs of the 70’s. Chaparral tweaked the design in the 73/74 models to give the sleds a more refined look and were gorgeous sleds, but my favorite is still the 72. Something about that big air intake maybe.

It’s really a shame that Armco, the Chaparral parent company decided to pull the plug in 74 with the 75 models (reportedly with a forward mounted engine) all ready to go into production. We’ll never know how good that sled could have been.

handiman

Wow! What a great accomplishment.
Been following this thread since the beginning. It has been like reading a book that you were hopeful that it would have a great end and you certainly did not disappoint skiroule.
I admire your skill, workmanship and patience.
Fantastic job!

skiroule

It has been like reading a book that you were hopeful that it would have a great end

Thanks handiman! You’ve written a fitting conclusion to this project thread in a single phrase. I have to admit that, almost to the very end, the outcome of this project was a complete wild card. There were so many things that had to fall into place. Luckily for me that happened.

I know there are other members with vintage sleds and projects out there and hopefully they will share photos and stories in this forum.

As for me, at least a couple in this group could be a project candidate, but I do have one I’m favoring. I’ll know more about that potential project later this year but who knows, in the meantime I might stumble onto a deal that really catches my eye. If money were no object, there’s a few out there I would pick up in a heartbeat.

DSC_0905.JPG

euphoric1

Skiroule, was hoping to see a new project in the works, you kind of hinted at it in last post. Hopefully you are doing well in all of this.

skiroule

My wife and I are doing well but being in the high-risk group with respect to the COVID-19, we are being careful. Hopefully, we will continue to remain healthy.

Over the summer I’ve dismantled a few things here and there to assess the probability of success of any future project. As I’ve mentioned before, there’s always a chance that a project will come to a screeching halt with a problem, the solution of which is beyond the resources of most backyard operations. I do try look at what those problems might be before I get too far into something.

If I do attempt another, it might be this one: The seller said it just needs a carb cleaning. Don’t think he was being completely truthful.

DSC_1058.JPG