One Man's Trash

skiroule

Thanks 800etec :biggrin:, I'm moving on with the seat fabrication (such as it is). It's pretty well roughed out, with maybe a little more tweaking to go. As I mentioned, this will be a pretty basic seat, but the shape looks a lot like the seat that came on the 74 SSX, which was a little more wedge - looking than the 72 SS version.

Waiting for a chunk of 1/2" think foam that I'm going to attach to the bottom to provide a better bottom edge and give the seat a little more lift. Combined with the base board, that will add an inch of height, which should match up well with the tank.

DSC_0862.JPG

Will post another photo once the vinyl is on.

skiroule

Wasn't going to post any photos until the seat was covered but my upholstery guy - a friend - said he wouldn't be able to get to it until at least mid-January. Kind of a bummer but can't complain as the price is right (free). In the meantime, I figured I'd post a couple of shots. I also have another sled project that I'm fiddling with and since we have 6 -8" of new white stuff (and counting), riding might be a good way to pass the time.

Got the foam form fitted for (that's a lot of "f's") the base board and the board cut. Also got the tank cutout done. Not exactly surgical precision but it's functional.

DSC_0877.JPG

Seat doesn't have a lot of complex detail but it looks right on the sled. The edges and corners will soften a little when the cover is installed. Also, it will fit a little tighter on the tunnel when fastened down.

DSC_0884.JPG

G

G

I think I see a little tiny blemish on the hood right above the second r on Chaparral. You should probably fix that. Otherwise it is about perfect.

skiroule

I think I see a little tiny blemish on the hood right above the second r on Chaparral. You should probably fix that. Otherwise it is about perfect.

Went back out and looked at it from every angle, saw nothing. I've concluded that you have a fly poop on your screen.

BTW, trails around Baudette are excellent. Rainy River and lake trails are marked.

jackdog

Nice work!!. We would like to see the sled on the snow!!!

Lol. When will the seat be done. We would like to see that beast on the snow !!

mezz

Simply a gorgeous piece of artwork. Done by a real craftsman! I love the attention to details & it shows. :applause::excitement::encouragement::cool:-Mezz

skiroule

Lol. When will the seat be done. We would like to see that beast on the snow !!

I have to admit, it’s really tough to be this close to finishing and be in wait mode. I had to go out yesterday and fire it up just to get a little fix. My upholstery source is back in town this week so hopefully he can get to the seat soon and I can put a ribbon on this baby.

Added the final touch to the motor:

DSC_0888.JPG

G

G

Fly poop out of season. Think it is dog snot. Your Chap is better than it was when it was new. I will give you $429.00 for it.

skiroule

I will give you $429.00 for it.

I might at least give your offer a passing thought if you threw in a couple dozen cases of whiskey from your hometown distillery (Far North Spirits). Their ROKNAR 100% rye is a personal favorite.

Pretty sure your offer buys you an opportunity to sit on it and go vroom, vroom.

It could also buy the opportunity to puff out a few impressive smoke rings, for effect (using a legal source for the smoke, of course).

G

G

You should have named it Jesus instead of Reaper since it has come back from the dead. If you believe in that sort of thing. Maybe not as intimidating as Reaper though. But then again there is room above Reaper for something else. How about Red Reaper?

skiroule

Probably could have used "The Grim Reaper" but at my age, that's a little too close to home. Maybe "The Phoenix" would have been a better choice.

skiroule

Thanks Adam! Think this last month has been the most frustrating of the entire build. I delivered the seat foam and base to my upholstery source for him to do the seat cover but he runs an unrelated seven day a week business and just does upholstery as a hobby in his spare time (of which he has little). In mid-January he suffered an eye injury, which is not helping the situation.

I should know more by Friday, as he said he was going to try to work on it this week. Fingers crossed, it's hard to be this close and just not quite there yet. Luckily, the snow is not going anywhere soon around here.

skiroule

My upholstery guy finished the seat cover yesterday so I installed it on the foam/base last night. It's a basic design but I'm OK with that. I actually like the clean appearance and think it will look fine on the sled.

IMG_1017.JPG

euphoric1

just went through all your posts on this from beginning to current, UNBELEIVABLE! you certainly can and do work some magic! a true show piece!

D

Deleted member 10829

Looks good and he got on it pretty quickly once he was back! Can't wait to see it on the sled.

skiroule

Thanks euphoric1! Somewhere along the way in this thread I think I said this project would be a challenge and I was right. Being able to find some local guys to do the exhaust, paint, and seat cover really helped.

I was pleasantly surprised at how fast my upholstery guy turned the cover around once he got to it. I think he did a really good job for a guy that doesn’t do it professionally. And yes Gary, I can’t explain how I got the seat work through the kitchen activity approval cycle. Of course, technically I guess I never asked.

Mounted the seat today so the job list is getting really short. Only a few items left that were waiting on the seat install and a final check of things. Barring any unforeseen problems, by this time next week she should have tasted snow for the first time in probably at least 35 years.

DSC_0897.JPG