Oneida County Trails are Open 1/28/21

Attak man

Oneida County trails are officially open...but are in early season riding condition...some areas are poor with thin spots and rocks, some are good....the railrode grade (Hiawatha) is open from town north to oneida county (lake nokomis area) and is rideable, but thin in spots...but the rest of Lincoln County is closed ...so basically from Tomahawk south and east, all of knight owls remains closed (this includes harrison hills).

Again trails are fair overall with some poor areas, and some good areas....watch for rocks, stumps, and other objects..snow cover is especially thin, in the pine forested areas.....most lakes are marked.

I can't stress enough to stay on the marked trails...in less then two days we've already had pissed off land owners due to guys going off trail...PLEASE STAY ON THE MARKED TRAILS!!!

pclark

Good to see you are finally open. Crazy year that your area doesn't open until last week in January. I hear you about the people that think they can ride everywhere. We mark trails down here (Waukesha County) and see guys riding around in fields even when we post the trail with "Stay on the trail or stay home" signs every 1/8 mile. I have thought about sitting out there and waiting until I see it happening but is not something we should have to do. Hope you get more snow soon, I have a place up in Manitowish and it's not much better however they are doing wonders with what they have. Riding is good for a change down here.

Thanks Attak man...always appreciate your reports. How much to you think it would take to open the trails in Lincoln county, especially the knight owls trails?
Thanks!

Attak man

Mojo...I'm not sure...I think the Garage is on the Lincoln/Price border...Price is open...But Lincoln is not...I'm being told Knight owls, and at least the northern trails in Lincoln County need 4-5 inches before they will open.

mojo

You think it be ok to ride out from there? I think it’s about a half a mile in Lincoln County

Attak man

Thanks for the report. How about areas to west of the willow?

Don't know yet...haven't been out there...heard the 10 corridor was nice (with a few rough spots)...was told 5 was in rough shape.

- - - Updated - - -

You think it be ok to ride out from there? I think it’s about a half a mile in Lincoln County

You should call them (they may have a local trail to get around on)...I'm not going to tell you to ride closed trails.

Attak man

updated......(saturday am)..the railroad grade is in poor to fair shape, with lots of snirt and gravel as heavy traffic hit it last night ...from Holly's to the Loon is bare gravel in spots..looks like it's been rototilled...burned what little base we had right off the trail...and there is heavy traffic around nokomis today due to drag races going on at Holly's....I rode into work today (in town), and wish I hadn't. Some of the wooded trails are decent, except the pine forest areas, where snow is thin due to the trees...it is getting icy and snirty in the corners ..so watch for that..also watch for rocks , and stumps. It's a real mixed bag out there...some good, some bad, some so/so....it's thin out there...we need more snow. Didn't think we'd have the amount of traffic out there that we do...kind of shocked by how many people are up here

- - - Updated - - -

btw....the ramp coming off lake nokomis on the back side of the loon is dangerously close to open water, with lots of slush....looks like they are trying to re route it (or at least mark it off)...but beware of that area..it could be very dangerous to a novice rider.

hermie

I will agree with the amount of traffic unfortunately there is not a good enough base to handle all the sleds that are out this weekend not to mention the ones who just don't care and are spinning there tracks all the way down the trail, pretty much throwing all the snow into the woods.

Attak man

I will agree with the amount of traffic unfortunately there is not a good enough base to handle all the sleds that are out this weekend not to mention the ones who just don't care and are spinning there tracks all the way down the trail, pretty much throwing all the snow into the woods.

Yep...x2...as I said..I was shocked how many people were out...great for the businesses...and it sure felt great seeing all the sleds parked at the bars and restaurants..but the railroad grade from the loon to billy bobs to hollys looked like somebody took a rototiller to it..no base left whatsoever..
I guess people are gonna ride no matter what. We need a really good wet snow of at least 6 inches to be able to handle and sustain the trail base with heavy traffic...thankfully we got a nice wet 2 plus inches over night..and might get some snow the end of the week (not gonna hold my breath the way this year is going)...gonna go check out some of the trails today...hopefully that wet snow last night and early this morning helped things out a bit.

hermie

Rode from St.Germain to Star lake today the snow definitely helped some. There is definitely more snow on the trails that way as much as usual no but enough for the groomers to work with. The cold next weekend should help the trails to hold a groom and if we can get the snow Thursday could be a decent weekend.