ONEIDA COUNTY UPDATE 1/3/23

attakman

Trails are pretty snirty through out the county,...some lakes are still not marked and some have slushy spots...and they only got worse today with more warm weather, and RAIN (not snow) all afternoon...this system has been a total bust for northern Wisconsin...was supposed to start snowing around 2PM..it didn't.. just rained ...today did not help the trails at all ...I saw forecasts of 6-8 plus inches, and forecasts that said 1-3 inches..these weather guys were ALL over the board with this.
and even if they were correct, on their predictions, it was a BIG FAIL for snow lovers, and snowmobiling in general...Can't sugar coat it... this really sucks.
Everything seems to be missing us, or tracking too far north (so too much warm air, equaling more rain less snow)

This is frustrating...we'll see if there is ANY snow on the backside of this system at all...if not my sled is gonna be parked TFN

Thanks for the update of course not what any of us like to hear so now plan B! Have you heard how things to the west of you are, prentice park falls seems by watching the local weather maps looks like west has been having a little better luck!

attakman

Thanks for the update of course not what any of us like to hear so now plan B! Have you heard how things to the west of you are, prentice park falls seems by watching the local weather maps looks like west has been having a little better luck!
Park Falls reported 5 over night, Phillips with 3, Prentice with 2...supposed to get more today up that way...Twin Cities, and far western Wisconsin got hammered 8 to 10 inches...we only received an inch of sleet/snow overnight, and it's currently a mist/sleet/snow mix....just a disappointing storm on our end....and it doesn't look like we will see much here through today...maybe an inch....but I'll update later

bayfly

I was at our cabin just west of Phillips from Monday evening until tonight (Wednesday). We got a good 6 inches Monday night / Tuesday, and probably another 3” before I left today at 4:30. It was still snowing pretty hard when I left. Our lake (Soo) hasn’t been staked out. From what I’ve heard the trails are open but some have not been groomed. Lakes are still not marked and not considered safe. Lots of slush near the shoreline. There is a solid 16” of snow in our front yard, and I would expect the groomers can do wonders with this base. But we need some cold temps to tighten up the lakes.

I was at our cabin just west of Phillips from Monday evening until tonight (Wednesday). We got a good 6 inches Monday night / Tuesday, and probably another 3” before I left today at 4:30. It was still snowing pretty hard when I left. Our lake (Soo) hasn’t been staked out. From what I’ve heard the trails are open but some have not been groomed. Lakes are still not marked and not considered safe. Lots of slush near the shoreline. There is a solid 16” of snow in our front yard, and I would expect the groomers can do wonders with this base. But we need some cold temps to tighten up the lakes.
thanks bayfly looks like destination phillips for this weekend!

bayfly

It looks to still be snowing lightly in Phillip's. This is a view south on Soo Lake.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230105_093212_Reolink.jpg
    Screenshot_20230105_093212_Reolink.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 14

attakman

Yep...saw anywhere from 6 to 10 inches across mainly northern Price County (Phillips and North)...the cutoff is sharp though...Prentice only had 2-3 inches (which is what...15 minutes south of Phillips?)......areas to the east and south of a Phillips to Mercer line saw less snow...My mother's house is near Lac du Flambeau, closer to the Price County line on HWY 70, and she had 5 to 6 inches there...while her friend in Woodruff, had 2 inches....we received a little over two inches here (Tomahawk area)...I would say as of right now the best riding is going to be north of HWY 70, and West of HWY 13 (lots of snow from Park Falls heading west to Hayward)...but from Phillips, North and West should also be decent. (keep in mind that because those areas have alot more snow, many of their lakes are not considered safe..if it's not marked, stay off it)....for my area (Tomahawk...the couple of inches, and sleet/freezing rain we got here, helped covered some bare spots, and add a bit of lubrication to the lakes, which was good.

Thank you all for the info. Appreciate it. Happy Trails. Will let you know what we find this upcoming weekend.
All we can say is thanks to all the clubs in price county, so glad we headed up there this past weekend couldn't go till Sunday AM but hit the trails by 10AM 106 miles of smooth trails, special shout out to the prentice bushbenders Met them in one of their groomers Sunday early afternoon they were out making trails sweet for us and also today met them right away at 9am again heading out on another grooming run not a bad trail to be found even the road routes were good. The scenery was exceptional, and the temps darn near perfect and low traffic, now if that big yellow ball stays behind the clouds we should be good to go again next weekend.

bayfly

All we can say is thanks to all the clubs in price county, so glad we headed up there this past weekend couldn't go till Sunday AM but hit the trails by 10AM 106 miles of smooth trails, special shout out to the prentice bushbenders Met them in one of their groomers Sunday early afternoon they were out making trails sweet for us and also today met them right away at 9am again heading out on another grooming run not a bad trail to be found even the road routes were good. The scenery was exceptional, and the temps darn near perfect and low traffic, now if that big yellow ball stays behind the clouds we should be good to go again next weekend.
Thanks for the follow up report. Glad you had great conditions!

jjj70095

Lake Minocqua still not marked as of Wed 5pm. Does anybody know what building is being built next to Kwik Trip (the one at Rt 51 and 70)? Looks like it could be another small type fast food restaurant. I also see people inside of Perkins, will that reopen as another restaurant??

pclark

Lake Minocqua still not marked as of Wed 5pm. Does anybody know what building is being built next to Kwik Trip (the one at Rt 51 and 70)? Looks like it could be another small type fast food restaurant. I also see people inside of Perkins, will that reopen as another restaurant??
Heard it is a Starbucks next to Kwik Trip. The Perkins is going to be the new Oneida County Democratic Headquarters!:ROFLMAO: Kurt Bangstead for President!

indy_500

Heard it is a Starbucks next to Kwik Trip. The Perkins is going to be the new Oneida County Democratic Headquarters!:ROFLMAO: Kurt Bangstead for President!
As much as I want to laugh at this, it wouldn’t surprise me if this happened in Minocqua LOL