opinion on 2013 nytro xtx

shift08

I am thinking about buying my first 4 - stroke . Found a deal on a new leftover nytro xtx 1.75 . What have people liked or disliked about this machine ? All opinions welcome .

Thanks

Attak man

If you are a stand up, aggresive rider...or an off trail rider...it's a decent sled...yamaha have improved it through the years...the dual tuner skis settle the front end down...and the 1.75 track really makes the thing hook up in loose snow.
The engine pulls hard...but it's not a top end sled...in a long straight line...a vector will pull by you.

The fuel tank is small (just over 7 gallons)...so it has rather poor fuel range even though it gets excellent fuel economy...around 15-17 mpg.

The wind protection sucks...when it's below zero...even with a bigger windshield...you will freeze your balls off.

keep in mind...that even though it's one of the lighter four strokes out there...it's still heavy...and not fun to dig out.
They do tend to nose dive in powder...not as bad as an apex or vector...but they still do.

If you buy it...you will want to considered getting hand guards, a bigger windshield with side deflectors (if it doesn't already have that), and possible a trail tank (to give you more fuel range).

I am not sure what type of a rider you are...but the nytro is relatively stiff....if you really want a four stroke, and are more of a sit down trail rider...I'd go vector ltx...or apex....they handle flatter, and have a softer, nicer ride...the nytro's in my opinion are stiff and harsh (especially the RTX models)....if u can take one for a ride...you should do it.....the nytro is my least favorite sled from yamaha...but that's just my opinion...and I'm old and crabby...lol

Attack man offers some quality input to you, Shift08. I'll give you my opinion though too. I have an 09 Nytro xtx and I am a trail rider 95% of the time. Quite frankly, I'm just not ready to give up the machine yet. It has the attributes of a dirt bike when I feel like catching some air yet it offers a very comfortable ride to protect my aging back. I have not found the sled to be stiff unless I have adjusted the suspension to do so. It will feel top heavy if you are aggressively cornering. I have played with the ski's and carbide set up and have mine dialed in for my style of riding. The tall windshield and side deflectors are necessary for me and with them, I rarely have been cold even in -10 or slightly colder temps. The hand warmers on the newer models are much better than what I have and that, I'm sure, you will appreciate. One design issue I do have with it is the rear exhaust. It will create and collect several pounds of ice in the tunnel.

I differ in my opinion from Attack man perhaps from a riding style preference. The Nytro xtx is my favorite Yamaha sled to date because it is not a "sit down" style sled. I have logged a few miles on the Vector and Apex as well and they too, are awesome sleds.

I would offer you to ride my sled as long as there is snow. If you would like to ride an Apex, I will offer that to you year round. A buddy of mine stores his at my place.

Now you have two opinions from guys who claim to be "old and crabby".

Happy shopping.

whitedust

Nytros are really fun stand up sleds.... the 144 XTX will do powder very well but I like the shorter track FX version more trail forgiving the Rtx models are harsh shockwise. If you like to stand up & like a rip snorting rear exhaust engine Nytro is for you. As said gas range may be a problem but a larger gas tank is available & I would add that to any Nytro.Unfortunaly at the time Yamaha was trying to trim any & all weight from Nytro thus the 7 gallon stock tank.

shift08

Great feedback guys . I do like to ride harder and do some ditch riding/logging road riding . I also trail ride but rarely get on more then 150 miles in a day . I just want a sled that has a reliable motor ( had a poo 800 ) but we will leave that thread alone ! I know have a poo 600 shorty and miss my long track . It was either a nitro or a renegade 1200 but cnt find a good deal on one . Also do you guys think 9 out the door everything included is a good deal for a new 2013 xtx 1.75 ?

9k out the door for a new leftover 2013 is ok. Remember the nytro is no longer in production. I would still try and go lower. I paid 10,999 out the door for a 2014 Nytro xtx 1.75 spring order. Now that I know the nytro is gone from the yamaha line up, I would've paid less. You will love the sled. I would have DuPont slides installed and replace the rail idler wheels with excell wheels. I wore done my slides in less than 500 miles on stock slide and wheels and those 500 miles were all in fresh snow. Since I put the excell wheels and duponts on I rode on hard packed trails for 300 miles and it showed no signs of wear. I think they are a must have especially for 1.75 track. The sled will push in the corners but I'm sure you can set it up to your liking. However, it will never handle like a shorty going fast through the corners. The engine has plenty of torque and with the 1.75 track she will hook up and pull like a freight train.

I also came from a polaris 2 smoke 700 and so far I have no intentions of going back. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Madmachz

I have a 13' XTX with 1.25 track w/studs. Very torquey down low, but runs out of steam around 80mph. I put A-Arm plates on mine so it's not so nose heavy off trail. The tank size is a problem at times but with proper planning its a non issue. Just got back from Munising and had it stuck several times...that's why I ride with a buddy that doesnt mind digging me out. Buy it, you wont regret it...

shift08

I have a 13' XTX with 1.25 track w/studs. Very torquey down low, but runs out of steam around 80mph. I put A-Arm plates on mine so it's not so nose heavy off trail. The tank size is a problem at times but with proper planning its a non issue. Just got back from Munising and had it stuck several times...that's why I ride with a buddy that doesnt mind digging me out. Buy it, you wont regret it...

So your what are you getting for top speed on your xtx ?

Madmachz

So your what are you getting for top speed on your xtx ?

Ive seen around 90mph, but its always been on trail, with loose snow. I dont hold it WFO very long so maybe I'm not the one to ask for top speed. Also, im close to 270lbs with gear on.

shift08

i am about the same weight with gear . Did you have to change to heavier springs or revalve shocks to keep it from bottoming out ? Plus 90 is fast enough if it gets there quick !

I am probably right around 200 lbs all geared up (solid muscle I assure you) yeah, ok... Anyway, I will occasionally see triple digits on my liars gauge if I have enough runway with tight snow. Stock 09 xtx. It will get to 90 quickly and then climb only slowly after that. For me, the pull from 0 - appropriate speed for trail conditions is what I'm after. I'll take the pull over top end any day.

shift08

Well I bought this machine ! Now I need to know what upgrades to add this summer . I got the dealer to throw in a new spare belt and DuPont slides . I would like to add a exhaust can for a better sound but not to loud and maybe tunnel block off plate to help with ice build up . What cn have people had good luck with fit and finish ?

Thanks

MNBlizzard

Well I bought this machine ! Now I need to know what upgrades to add this summer . I got the dealer to throw in a new spare belt and DuPont slides . I would like to add a exhaust can for a better sound but not to loud and maybe tunnel block off plate to help with ice build up . What cn have people had good luck with fit and finish ?

Thanks

You made a great choice! I'd suggest getting the oft steering relocator, oft rollover valve, and Mountaintech full skid plate. I really like my skinz super Q can, lslight db increase but much throatier sound. I am on my second nytro and really like it, adding a supercharger to my 13 this summer.

Madmachz

Thanks[/QUOTE

Good purchase.. I'd leave exhaust stock. IMO would be annoying 2hrs into a ride... Block off plate is good. Icing is pretty bad. Threw me over the bars once when a chunk got wedged between heat exchanger and track at slow speed. A-arm guards for flotation in the deep. Tuner skis are OK, push a little in the loose and OK off trail not great. Update fuel pump relay for cold weather....

shift08

Madmachz , you said the tuners are ok . I have a set of c a pro razors with 6 in carbides i could switch . Anyone try these on a nytro ? Also looking for a set of scratchers to put on the skis not the rails Any suggestions ?

Madmachz

Madmachz , you said the tuners are ok . I have a set of c a pro razors with 6 in carbides i could switch . Anyone try these on a nytro ? Also looking for a set of scratchers to put on the skis not the rails Any suggestions ?

I had Razors on a 04 rev and they were nice. I'd try the tuners, but i think you'll like the C&A's better.