Overnight trip from Phelps/Conover, where to?

Longlegs

There is a lot of great riding in northern Vilas. I’d stick to that until experience is gained. Copper Harbor is a big bite to take. We’ve done Lake of the Clouds and back from Conover and that’s a pretty full day. Like has been said, in the UP when you hit rough trail, you have a long ways to go to reroute or you just have to suffer thru it. Up to Bond Falls and back thru Cisco can be a nice loop and you have options to add mileage back in Vilas. Up to Lando and across to Boulder and back down thru Arbor Vitea is a nice day. Come back thru Sayner or StGermain. A good beginner overnight might be ride to Saxon Harbor, stay at Mercer then back thru Boulder or Minocqua. Lots of option to shorten or lengthen your trip this way.

Longlegs

Oh, how about Thunder Bay Inn up at Big Bay? It’s Henry Fords lodge from back in the 40’s. Snow conditions can be sketch from Bruce east across the middle of the UP though. The lake effect just doesn’t hit thru there.

old abe

Oh, how about Thunder Bay Inn up at Big Bay? It’s Henry Fords lodge from back in the 40’s. Snow conditions can be sketch from Bruce east across the middle of the UP though. The lake effect just doesn’t hit thru there.
No the snow conditions in that area are nothing as they were 25 to 30 years ago for sure

favoritos

Sounds like a fun trip.
We ride most of the area from Watersmeet north on a regular basis.
@mjw66 , We love the Copper Harbor ride, but I wouldn't recommend this one over a weekend and a "schedule". I think your group would miss some of the fun just trying to make the trip. I will also reiterate the previous statements about changing conditions. We ride from the west end to Copper Harbor every other week during the season. The trails can be brutal or perfect. It's tough when they are brutal. It also varies a lot with each club at times. Equipment breakdowns and timing affects the north end more because of traffic and snow depth. I mention the last part because you are trying to plan this trip in advance. Those factors can happen on a daily basis.

I like you plan to ride the Porkies and L.O.C. It's doable and also gives you a lot of options. If you have a chance to sit down with some maps, look at a loop ride. I can help a lot with trail input with any of those trails and simple gas planning. The variety of trails and scenery is pretty remarkable just by taking a different route in each direction. BTW, the Bond Falls suggestion is fantastic.
Another item to note is the variation in snow with that ride. The north/south orientation can create some amazing contrast in snow. If you hit the timing right and the L.E.S. guns are going, you might be shocked.

I'd love to help a little more on the overnight options, but it would be hearsay. Konteka has been good to us with the food and option to throw around a bowling ball. Maybe someone can give an update on the AmericInn in Silver City. I have not stayed in the rooms. Food has varied over the years. I'm not aware of many other walking options.

pclark

Sounds like a fun trip.
We ride most of the area from Watersmeet north on a regular basis.
@mjw66 , We love the Copper Harbor ride, but I wouldn't recommend this one over a weekend and a "schedule". I think your group would miss some of the fun just trying to make the trip. I will also reiterate the previous statements about changing conditions. We ride from the west end to Copper Harbor every other week during the season. The trails can be brutal or perfect. It's tough when they are brutal. It also varies a lot with each club at times. Equipment breakdowns and timing affects the north end more because of traffic and snow depth. I mention the last part because you are trying to plan this trip in advance. Those factors can happen on a daily basis.

I like you plan to ride the Porkies and L.O.C. It's doable and also gives you a lot of options. If you have a chance to sit down with some maps, look at a loop ride. I can help a lot with trail input with any of those trails and simple gas planning. The variety of trails and scenery is pretty remarkable just by taking a different route in each direction. BTW, the Bond Falls suggestion is fantastic.
Another item to note is the variation in snow with that ride. The north/south orientation can create some amazing contrast in snow. If you hit the timing right and the L.E.S. guns are going, you might be shocked.

I'd love to help a little more on the overnight options, but it would be hearsay. Konteka has been good to us with the food and option to throw around a bowling ball. Maybe someone can give an update on the AmericInn in Silver City. I have not stayed in the rooms. Food has varied over the years. I'm not aware of many other walking options.
What accomodations are there near the Porkies and LOC?

indy_500

South and east of sidnaw
Rode out of Land O Lakes for a 4 day trip 12 years ago with my dad. Spent the entire trip riding said area. Sidnaw, Champion, Republic, Sagola, Amasa, Crystal Falls, etc. Some of the best trails I’ve ever ridden, and absolutely zero traffic. Haven’t been back since unfortunately. Got into off trail riding after that, and now when I trail ride with the woman, she most likely wouldn’t be a fan of riding 80+ miles without passing a bar, restaurant, or gas station, which is reality in that area.

dfattack

South and east of sidnaw
ok. I see what you are saying. I realize you are comparing the snow conditions to 20+ years ago, but since 2002 I would say it's been pretty consistent and the area you are referring to is one of my primary areas I ride. Typically lower traffic than west of Sidnaw (which I like) and once you get to Iron River MI I would say Usually the snow it pretty decent north and west of there...Amasa as well.

Last edited:

dfattack

Rode out of Land O Lakes for a 4 day trip 12 years ago with my dad. Spent the entire trip riding said area. Sidnaw, Champion, Republic, Sagola, Amasa, Crystal Falls, etc. Some of the best trails I’ve ever ridden, and absolutely zero traffic. Haven’t been back since unfortunately. Got into off trail riding after that, and now when I trail ride with the woman, she most likely wouldn’t be a fan of riding 80+ miles without passing a bar, restaurant, or gas station, which is reality in that area.
Exactly. As stated in another response to Abe...this is one of my favorite areas to ride. I used to be a little careful suggesting since I didn't want the traffic to increase too much but now my thinking is why not? Only those flexible enough with their schedule will try these trails out anyway. When I ride in the western UP and that's rarely, it's crazy busy and not my cup of tea.

whitedust

Exactly. As stated in another response to Abe...this is one of my favorite areas to ride. I used to be a little careful suggesting since I didn't want the traffic to increase too much but now my thinking is why not? Only those flexible enough with their schedule will try these trails out anyway. When I ride in the western UP and that's rarely, it's crazy busy and not my cup of tea.
I’ve been advocating these trails for years sharing the knowledge and traffic has picked up a bit but nothing like trail 3 and big snow country. But as Indy said most won’t like the lack of amenities and lower snow plus big miles town to town so they only frequent same old same old trails that they know.

old abe

I’ve been advocating these trails for years sharing the knowledge and traffic has picked up a bit but nothing like trail 3 and big snow country. But as Indy said most won’t like the lack of amenities and lower snow plus big miles town to town so they only frequent same old same old trails that they know.
Few stops, big miles, always lead to a full of fun day riding!

pclark

Rode these trails in maybe 2010 and they were really nice as described. Just better know where gas is and take a snack and some water. Very scenic and some flat and fast trails.

dfattack

Rode these trails in maybe 2010 and they were really nice as described. Just better know where gas is and take a snack and some water. Very scenic and some flat and fast trails.
Amasa, Iron River, (Mi), Crystal Falls, Sidnaw all have somewhere to get food and gas. Not as big a deal as some believe. The run from Amasa to Republic is a little long but so it Republic (or Koski Corner) to Big Bay. Great trails and yes remote but worth it.

sr22ger

To double down on the posts discussing going north and east ish from Phelps;

Trail 6 does a bit of a hokey turn to the north on a forest road just north of long lake. There is a forest road, I believe 3210 that you take left just before the trail continues on to sand lake pub to the east. Take your left at that forest road, then follow it to the next intersection at fr 3290. Follow that one all the way past the crossing with hwy 2, which comes out to a road you take left for a bit till it crosses trail 2. Hop on and take it to the west till you hit trail 15. Go north and freakin enjoy. Combo of twisters, straight sections, and ends with wide sweeping sections that are my favorite in pretty much all of Wisconsin and the UP. From there go right to Sidnaw, and you can take a couple of different loops that lead north, east ish, west to silver mountain or sturgeon river gorge, or to Republic, Lanse, back down to Amasa, Crystal falls, wherever your heart takes you. Plan it out on the ride command app for apx mileage. It can vary from 120 to 180 or more depending upon your loop.

IMG_5654.PNG Edit - Did a quick improvised map for clarity.

Last edited:

WorkHardPlayHrd

I want to be offended Indy, but unfortunately with most woman that statement is true. Yes trails in that area are very twisty. Have never seen so many switchbacks in my life.

pclark

Amasa, Iron River, (Mi), Crystal Falls, Sidnaw all have somewhere to get food and gas. Not as big a deal as some believe. The run from Amasa to Republic is a little long but so it Republic (or Koski Corner) to Big Bay. Great trails and yes remote but worth it.
I was riding a gas pig back then Polaris Classic 600, it got 100 miles out of the tank, or about 10 mpg so I was always getting to the gas station and putting another full tank in. Always topped off whenever I saw gas too. My riding budding was always riding newer machines, the newer they were got better mileage. Now with my Ski Doo 900 4stroke I don't worry like I used to!

To double down on the posts discussing going north and east ish from Phelps;

Trail 6 does a bit of a hokey turn to the north on a forest road just north of long lake. There is a forest road, I believe 3210 that you take left just before the trail continues on to sand lake pub to the east. Take your left at that forest road, then follow it to the next intersection at fr 3290. Follow that one all the way past the crossing with hwy 2, which comes out to a road you take left for a bit till it crosses trail 2. Hop on and take it to the west till you hit trail 15. Go north and freakin enjoy. Combo of twisters, straight sections, and ends with wide sweeping sections that are my favorite in pretty much all of Wisconsin and the UP. From there go right to Sidnaw, and you can take a couple of different loops that lead north, east ish, west to silver mountain or sturgeon river gorge, or to Republic, Lanse, back down to Amasa, Crystal falls, wherever your heart takes you. Plan it out on the ride command app for apx mileage. It can vary from 120 to 180 or more depending upon your loop.

View attachment 67551 Edit - Did a quick improvised map for clarity.

Just know as the season goes on the worse that trail gets. Since it will never see a groomer, it can be downright painful until the meetup on 2 grade. We run this in the summer as well on UTV.

dfattack

I was riding a gas pig back then Polaris Classic 600, it got 100 miles out of the tank, or about 10 mpg so I was always getting to the gas station and putting another full tank in. Always topped off whenever I saw gas too. My riding budding was always riding newer machines, the newer they were got better mileage. Now with my Ski Doo 900 4stroke I don't worry like I used to!
So true