People using search and rescue when not necessary

flatlandassn

THE proliferation of cellphones, satellite phones, emergency locator devices, GPS, and similar technology has led to an epidemic of backcountry rescues for people who have called for help they don’t need, risking the lives of rescuers in the process.

Search-and-rescue outfits around the country are grappling regularly with “false alerts” and novices’ getting in over their heads because they think gadgetry guarantees safety. More and more folks are carrying personal locator beacons, or P.L.B.’s, into the backcountry. With the push of a button they can send out an emergency distress signal, but no information about their predicament.

Matt Scharper, search and rescue coordinator for the California Emergency Management Agency, calls the locator beacons “yuppie 911’s,” adding, “You send a message to a satellite and the government pulls your butt out of something you shouldn’t have been in in the first place.” Nick Parker, a veteran of 45 years of wilderness rescues in Alaska, said in an e-mail: “The real issue is one of training (or lack thereof), and of our dependence on gizmos to save us. People expect a rescue in the same way they expect a fire engine or ambulance to come when they dial 911.”

Consider the case that unfolded in the Grand Canyon in 2009. Four hikers in a remote part of the canyon pushed the emergency help button on their SPOT satellite tracking device. When rangers helicoptered in the next day, the hikers declined evacuation, saying they were worried about running short of water. The next day the hikers pushed the button again. Another copter team arrived, to hear the complaint that the water the men had “tasted salty.” On the third day, the gang pushed their button a third time. Fed up, the rangers loaded the miscreants onto the helicopter. The group’s leader was cited for creating a hazardous condition.

Though few instances are quite so outrageous as the Grand Canyon fiasco, false alerts are becoming commonplace. In 2010, there was a rash of rescue calls in Grand Teton National Park, with hikers asking for help down the mountain. One asked that hot chocolate be flown in.
Last October in Yosemite, several hikers on the Cables route on Half Dome pushed on in the face of a gathering lightning storm. On the summit, hypothermic, they called for a helicopter rescue, only to be told that the rangers couldn’t fly in such weather. “I was freaking out and thought I wasn’t going to make it,” one of the stranded men later said. The next day, 20 hikers on Half Dome called 911 to ask for a rescue in similar conditions.

In some European countries, inexpensive rescue insurance covers the costs of all rescues, while in others, those rescued must pay for the help, especially when “victims” are thought to have been negligent or to have cried wolf. But in the United States, charging hikers or boaters for unnecessary rescues is an option seldom pursued. “We don’t want people not to call for a rescue because they think they can’t afford it. Then they’re likely to get into deeper trouble and trigger a more dangerous rescue,” says Jeff Sparhawk, public information officer for the Rocky Mountain Rescue Group, a search-and-rescue team based in Boulder, Colo.

Despite his cynicism about “yuppie 911’s,” Mr. Scharper sees a silver lining. “P.L.B.’s have saved a lot of lives,” he says. “And as the technology develops, the problem will partly solve itself. Instead of a ‘911 hangup’ ”— a beeping distress signal attached to GPS coordinates — “we’ll be able to text back and forth. We’ll be able to talk a lost hiker back to safety without going out to get him, or putting any rescuers at risk.”

As a longtime mountaineer and teacher of wilderness skills, I’m more pessimistic. I believe that the “gizmos” are not themselves to blame for unnecessary rescues — the problem is that the devices have engendered a radical shift in the concept of adventure. Hikers, skiers and boaters not only expect to be whisked to safety at the push of a button, they regard this luxury as an inalienable right. In Wyoming in January 2010, a skier at Grand Targhee ventured out of bounds at the resort, got lost, sent out a cellphone distress call, but died of hypothermia. Despite a heroic effort by the Teton County Search and Rescue team, his heirs sued the team for $5 million.

Far more people are now venturing into the backcountry without even minimal survival skills. Many carry gadgets they think of as get-out-of-jail-free cards. More of them than ever before will be rescued from their own incompetence. And too many of their rescuers will be endangered, injured or even killed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/opinion/when-gps-leads-to-s-o-s.html?_r=1&hpw
<NYT_AUTHOR_ID>

jd

Administrator
Staff member
You just have to be proud to be part of the human race.... The water "tasted salty" and... suing the rescuers.

Man-o-man. It would be funny if it were not so sad.

-John

ezra

u get a bill from the cops when they come to a false alarm at your house
u get a bill for a ride to the hospital
u get a bill for the fire trucks coming to your house
i was under the assumeption u would get a bill for a chopper ride out of whateaver
now with all these bills coming from state agenceys why is my property tax going up every yr ??

russholio

u get a bill for the fire trucks coming to your house

Not necessarily, or at least, not in every community. The only time you MIGHT get a bill in ours is if you become a "habitual offender" and we get called to your house numerous times for the same thing (usually a malfunctioning alarm system that frequently sends out false alarms).

snoluver1

And just think, these are probably the same people who fight tirelessly to keep us out of "their" wilderness, so they can have peace and solitude!

frnash

In some parts of the country, if you want "fire protection services", you contract with a private fire protection company, in advance, typically with an annual "subscription". If you feel lucky, you can just "wing it", but then when you do have an urgent need for fire protection, you will be billed for (each) such event. If you choose the latter option, but fail to pay the bill, you won't get a second "freebie" service, but may by faced with a lawsuit for the first failure to pay.

Example: See Rural Metro Fire Depertment.

Last edited:

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am so sick and tired of hearing about cases where someone did something they weren't suppose to, and then a fatality happens, and then the family tries to sue, because their family member was an idiot.

Case in point. About 8 years ago there was a terrible accident with a truck with some teenagers in it, and a train. A county road crossed the tracks, and there was a train stopped on the tracks blocking the road. No lights or gate at this spot. Well, at this particular spot, if you travelled fast enough, you could get some air with your car/truck. So, the driver of the truck is hauling *** down this road WITH HIS LIGHTS OFF, and plowed into the train. Guess what, yep, the parents of the kids tried to sue the railroad company. THE KID HAS HIS FRICKEN LIGHTS OFF!!!! I'm sorry, but your son was a moron!

I believe that if you call in search and rescue with your spot or other locater device, and it is not an emergency, you get to pay for that!

OK rant over. :)

polarisrider1

Leave my frozen carcass to be where it was meant to be, No Spot locator, but I do us a beacon locator and probes to find my buddies, Montana at 11,500 feet is all I ask. I plan to stay for 3 days in comfort. Then find me in spring before the bears do. Sledding is life!

Last edited:

russholio

I am so sick and tired of hearing about cases where someone did something they weren't suppose to, and then a fatality happens, and then the family tries to sue, because their family member was an idiot.

Case in point. About 8 years ago there was a terrible accident with a truck with some teenagers in it, and a train. A county road crossed the tracks, and there was a train stopped on the tracks blocking the road. No lights or gate at this spot. Well, at this particular spot, if you travelled fast enough, you could get some air with your car/truck. So, the driver of the truck is hauling *** down this road WITH HIS LIGHTS OFF, and plowed into the train. Guess what, yep, the parents of the kids tried to sue the railroad company. THE KID HAS HIS FRICKEN LIGHTS OFF!!!! I'm sorry, but your son was a moron!

I believe that if you call in search and rescue with your spot or other locater device, and it is not an emergency, you get to pay for that!

OK rant over. :)

Amen. I'm officially starting the "Skylar for President" write-in campaign!

polarisrider1

Kinda like the McDonalds coffee that was "To Hot". Who the heck would do such a thing? Slip on the floor at Meijer store and sue??? get me a gun and lets cull the herd. I don't get it????????????????? Sueing for your spouses stupidity??? null void. really sets me off. such *** nine thoughts. Dude you do not belong if you need to call momma when you get in deep. suck it up. (sorry about the rant) Those who know me get it.

Firecatguy

I was told this from a S&R guy the reason they do not charge for a rescue is that they would rather you call for help than wait till it is worse or someone dies....

doospunk

I should have strapped one of those SPOT trackers around CuzzinO before letting him take off on our golf cart at 1:30 in the morning back in June.

In all seriousness though, the dumb just keep getting dumber. I can't believe that Grand Canyon story.

Last edited:

cuzzinolaf

I should have strapped one of those SPOT trackers around CuzzinO before letting him take off on our golf cart at 1:30 in the morning back in June.

In all seriousness though, the dumb just keep getting dumber. I can't believe that Grand Canyon story.

LMAO, good times! How many times can you say someone took off on your golf cart after 1am, with no lights, got it stolen and then recovered it, and made it back to your place? You can't forget the high speed dismount by the barn and the mysterious car following us around only to see a golf cart sitting on the road by itself in a different location each time.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
LMAO, good times! How many times can you say someone took off on your golf cart after 1am, with no lights, got it stolen and then recovered it, and made it back to your place? You can't forget the high speed dismount by the barn and the mysterious car following us around only to see a golf cart sitting on the road by itself in a different location each time.

Hmmmm... I think I'll bring my SPOT for the Haydays get together. :)

-John

doospunk

Keith - true. I cant say that happens very often. LoL

John - No need to......, so long as you don't let Keith drive and lead. I saw that pic from the last time he lead his crew, and a Cat ended up in the trees about 15 feet up the Birch after coming over the rock face. Wonder if he had his SPOT then? :p

.......Didn't mean to hijack your thread there flatlandassn.

Last edited: