Plasma/LCD/LED in cold weather?

moen_lake

This may have been posted before but looking for advice on keeping Plasma/LCD/LED Tv's up at the Cabin in Nothern WI. As you all know, it can get pretty darn cold and was wondering what effects the cold has on them? I have 4 Samsung LED/LCD here at home with no issues but they are kept at a nice temperature.

Was leaning towards a Samsung Plasma?

Any advice is appreciated.

98panther

I have also wondered about this.
My place is unheated all winter, so far I just have an old tube TV up there.
But someday I'll want/need to replace it.

snocrazy

LCD screens are used on aircraft. Plasma TVs use gases to work, and these gases are affected by the lower air pressure at higher altitudes.
Considering the above statement, don't airplanes get cold when not running and stored outside? Never heard of any one being concerned about lcd screens in the planes not working due to cold.

What about lcd screens in cell phones or tablets? I know mine have been frozen at times. They will seem sluggish or the colors will be off until the temp comes back up.

I did some google searching on this and can not find a scientific reason for lcd to not freeze. Seems it is mostly urban legend.

If the tv is frozen, I would definitely let it come up to temp before turning it on. Always a good idea with any electronics.

Here is a good article from a RV site. http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/01/rv_flat_screen_lcd_tv.php

mezz

I keep an LCD in my shop/mancave which is presently uninsulated. It is unheated unless I am in it, which is mostly in the evenings & week-ends. 4 yrs so far & it has been fine, though, when it gets real cold, I cover the TV up with a heavy towel & get the shop warmed to at least 35-40 before I power it up.-Mezz

Modman440

I have one in the shop at the cabin its been there for 3 years now, never had a single issue with it go in to get the wood burner goin and after thst always turn it on along with everything else to check them never had a single issue.

I keep a 55" sony LCD down in my boathouse all winter for ice fishing. I dont heat it unless im fishing and it always works fine. It may just take longer to warm up. One thing to watch out for is condensation build up on the internal tv components. This happens if you have a forced air furnace warming the air in the building when the tv is still very cold.

anonomoose

I didn't even think of this when I purchased one for the cabin....but when I read the manual, it said that "if subjected to extreme cold temperatures, allow the unit to come to room temp before using it"... I don't think you can hurt it if you are impatient, but perhaps it won't work right until the place is warmed up.

radsrh

I have two at the cabin and never had a problem with them, as soon as we get there the boy will go in his room and fire up his 360. It is unheated and there room is the last to warm up from the woodstove, btw before anyone makes any comments, we arrive on Friday night and its dark and cold out ;) I always shag them outside to enjoy the UP when the sun is up.

polarisrider1

I have a 50" plasma up north and we keep the heat at 40 degrees, works fine.I think it says in the owners manual if you "store" tv in cold temps to bring to room temp. I leave it plugged in and it really never truly turns off. I suspect it keeps itself warm.

chords

Throw a heavy blanket around it when ya leave like your wrapping a baby and after arrival on a Fri nite remove said blanket after a few mins of heat. TVs need some lovin two.

ezra

well when shopping for a tv for the trailer this summer I talked to the samsung rep and a few best buy guys.
they all said led is the way to go and plasma is out and lcd is ok but wont last as long.
all that said they are cheep now prob more cheep in a few yrs so not a huge deal if it only lasts a few yrs.
we went with the off brand 39in led for the trailer like $285 an sale .I am sure it is going to be busted buy a drunk guy or falling parts long before it burns out

moen_lake

Thanks for all input! I ended up getting a Samsung 40 inch LED. I have had good luck with the other LED's I've purchased and thought there would be too much glare on the Plasma's Screen in the cabin.

800etec

Ezra-"busted by a drunk guy".That right there is funny!I thought them things only happened to my stuff.

ezra

U would not mind if it was some rookie 22yr old but it always seams to be a 40+ yr old guy doing that stuff