Please stay off the ice

hemi_newman

Guys,
I just returned from a very bad call tonight,(I'm a firefighter here in Hayward), atv threw the ice with 3 guys that broke through. A fish or a joy ride is not worth it for the rest of ice season. We saved 2 people but the 3rd did not make it, we gave it our best. Please stay off the ice, it's just not worth it.

D

Deleted member 10829

It's hard to believe anyone would be out on the ice. So sad to hear this!! Thank you for your service to the community.

Highflyer

Guys,
I just returned from a very bad call tonight,(I'm a firefighter here in Hayward), atv threw the ice with 3 guys that broke through. A fish or a joy ride is not worth it for the rest of ice season. We saved 2 people but the 3rd did not make it, we gave it our best. Please stay off the ice, it's just not worth it.

If you don't mind me asking, what Lake?

zltim

There was a guy in front of my home on Prairie Lake, near Rice Lake wi. No vehicle just himself and fishing sled. I have always said they don't require an IQ test to get a fishing license.

ezra

in west metro Minneapolis my neighbor had his ranger out on the lake today has to be some sort of record

Last edited:

sjb

I hear you and a good warning.

I live on Lake Winnebago and right now on the east shore there are major ice heaves (over 30') and it has become a tourist destination. The heaves are anchored to the bed of the lake, but the ice that is on the west side of the heaves are not. Most areas are 6-12' of water and people are walking on it. I have warned the people I saw, but someone is going to go through - the ice is just crap. Maybe a Darwinism.