Polaris Fuel and Oil Consumption Question

600xc

Looking for some information on the fuel and oil consumption on the 600 and 800 Polaris Rush. Have been a Polaris owner for many years and am looking to purchase new next year. Have never had very much luck getting over 11 mpg with any sled and not much over 100 miles per quart of oil. Have owned 600 triples, twins, 700 and 800. Just gathering info on what to buy.

Thanks much

Polarice

I have a 600 IQ cfi. I've never had trouble with it consuming too much oil or too much gas. I buy 2 cases of oil for 2 sleds and hope that's enough.

Of course, I don't keep track of gas mileage either. I just fill them up and go. I use what I use. If I cared, I'd probably get a 4 stroke of some sort.

Sorry, my response may not help much.

edmarino

Buy a Yamaha, oil change 3 qts. every 2500 miles and a filter change at 12000. Gas would be about 18-20MPG. Don't think Polaris comes even close to these numbers. I know this is not what you asked just offering some other info.

whitedust

Buy a Yamaha, oil change 3 qts. every 2500 miles and a filter change at 12000. Gas would be about 18-20MPG. Don't think Polaris comes even close to these numbers. I know this is not what you asked just offering some other info.

Good info Ed but let's try & keep on track to Poo MPG. Just thought I say it before someone else rants about Yam 4s info in a Poo thread.:)

Duffy

2010 600 IQ
15 to 17 MPG, depending on snow conditions
Oil is set at 50:1, 1 quart to every 12 gallons of gas

I ride with some 2011 600 Rushes and they use allot less oil, like 70:1, not enough oil for my liking. they get about 2MPG better than I do.

Not sure about the 800 Rush that we ride with.

Marty P

Good info Ed but let's try & keep on track to Poo MPG. Just thought I say it before someone else rants about Yam 4s info in a Poo thread.:)

LOL...Whitedust; Ever the politician...just giving you a bad time...

My 11' 800 E-tec 137 x 1.75 Backcountry is exactly at 15.3 mpg off trail...Oh' wait...this is about Polaris...sorry :)

whitedust

LOL...Whitedust; Ever the politician...just giving you a bad time...

My 11' 800 E-tec 137 x 1.75 Backcountry is exactly at 15.3 mpg off trail...Oh' wait...this is about Polaris...sorry :)

Just trying to keep everyone happy & noticed the 4s haters get very upset with Yam 4s specs so thought better to stay on thread track. Don't know why they get upset just do? Different stokes for different folks.:)

dragon_07

I think the reason folks get upset is just like this thread a person is asking a specific question: if you do not own the sled then dont reply because he is asking for rider feedback not your opinion. Trust me there are plenty that have noticed those that seek out a polaris thread just to suggest people switch brands. I believe HCS has brand specific threads, tell how wonderful your sled is to your brand loyalists. As for the actual question: I have a 2011 Rush 800 but can't say I have bothered to check the MPG or oil consumption. I can tell you that there is no way it uses a quart every hundred miles, I top off after ever ride and I would say it uses 1/3rd of that. As for MPG I know I use more than my wifes FST and my sons 700 dragon and the best they have ever gotten was 17 and 16 respectively.

snow_monkey

You can buy a doo and save on gas and oil. Enough savings in gas and oil in a year to pay for the 3 year warranty so when it blows your covered. LOL!!!

switch07

On my 2011 600 Rush LX, I used one gallon of oil in 840 miles. My gas mileage has been in the 12 to 14 mpg range depending on how hard I push it. I am more than happy with this sled as far as comfort, dependibility, and fuel/oil consumption. Next year I will be on a Rush Adventure, and this will be my wifes sled. I would think she would get better MPG's than me, being that she is a little lighter on the flipper.......and the seat, lol. Good luck on your choice, you can't go wrong on the RUSH.

900RMtanK

Our 2011 600 Pro R average's 270-300mi per quart, 12.2mpg lowest recorded, 14.6mpg best. 2400mi on sled.

The 2010 800 Assault - 180-200mi per qt - 11.5mpg worst (trail), 13.1mpg best. 2000mi.

Nearly all gas used was non-ethanol. We're lucky enough to have a few stations in the area with 87 and 91 non-ethanol here.

600xc

Thanks for all the info, and I have been considering 4 stoke but just can't seem to lean far enough that way. I put on about 3k miles per year so I like to buy new every 3 years. If I get a 4 stroker I may have to go longer and don't get to take advantage of the new technology :). The cost isn't as much of a factor as not wanting to be the one in the group who is looking for gas first. Been on trips to Canada and other places where there may be 100 plus miles between stops. Not a big issue, always find a way to carry what you need just more a hasle than anything else. I am leaning towards the new 600 adventure myself and just wanted some good feedback on the rush chassis and mileage.

edmarino

To 600Xc
If gas milage is the major concern you have to look at a 4 stroker. The fact that the engine last longer and less likely to fail also means a better resale value so less likely to lose money by replacing on 3 year cycle, 4 stroke vs 2 stroke. Also oil comsuption would be less or really non at all, because you change oil rather then burn it. So oil can be recycled. Not that you get any thing for it, just does not get consumed.

Last edited:

oldguy

XC600.

My 2011 600 Rush has gotten up to 15 mpg nursing it and as bad 7-8 running in slushy/deep snow on rivers and lakes.

I managed to score an Adventure to ride for a couple of days this weekend and can give you a report next Monday. The Adventure will be for my wife and I have concerns that it may be a bit too heavy for her.

600xc

Thanks again for more input, 4 stroke may be the logical option but call it stubborness, I just can't get the 2 cycle out of my blood. Have not given up on the option however.

Oldguy, (not young myself) that would be great if you could get me feedback on the adventure. I saw that on line and thought it might be my next choice. Always a little concerned when a new model comes out as there are usually adjustments that need to be made after the general public gets its hands on it for a good solid season. But in this case the rush has been out and the 600 motor is as solid as it gets. It looks like the biggest change are more on the option or cosmetic side.

edmarino

To 600xc
For my own edification what has you so enthralled with 2storke, is it the smell of two stroke oil, high fuel consumption(lowMPG), questionable engine reliability. It use to be a 2stroke was a simple engine unfortunitly those days are long gone. I just don't understand the love of a 2 stroke. So if you care to share with me I would appricate it.

indy_500

2-stroke is loud and smells good :) I'd love to get a 4-stroke, but I'd have to keep a 2-smoker in the fleet to satisfy me... I put 5 miles going around my yard in circles tonight on my 700, and just the sound everytime you tap the throttle is addicting, it puts a smile on your face.

600xc

Ed, I agree with Indy, just call it nostolgia or something. Been riding sleds since the late 60's and maybe it is just the sound and smell of the 2 stroke, not quite sure. Many good points on the 4 strokes and they have there own nice quiet hum to them that just sounds like power, but just something about opening the hood and seeing all that clutter inside doesn't seem right. After all is said and done that is the way I may go but the simple 2 stroke will always have a place in my garage.

edmarino

To 600XC
Thanks for taking the time to answer me. The last time I looked in a Polaris 4 stroke with turbo it scared the heck out of me with all the stuff they had in there. MY 4 stroke is quite clean with just a valve cover and spark plug wires to look at. And my nostolgia for a 2 stroke lessen every day as gas prices keep going up. Snowmobiling is an expensive sport, but to put 80 dollars a day in to a sled just for gas and oil, especially since I have to feed my wifes too, is hard on my retirement.