polishing tunnels

maddogg

The best way would be to have her polish it.

I'm sorry couldn't hlep myself. A lot of users on this board use Mother's and the power ball but any aluminum/metal polish will work with time and elbow grease.

artic570

i think most will say "mothers alum polish"
i used it by hand on a sled, works good, but it took a lot of time.
i've heard some say use the "mothers power ball" tool to polish with.

polarisrider1

I use the chamois powerball and Mothers. Takes tons of time and does not last long even if you use the majical sealer they sell you at the snow shows. I do it once to each sled during the summer and always say never again. It is great for trailer queens. skip the idea and let her have fun. You will have enough to keep you busy removing belt dust. WD40 for that.

jimfsr

Skip the polish and just acid wash it a few time a season and it will look like new. Products like tunnel brite, or alumaclean are good for that. We get it in bulk at work, so I don't know what it costs, but its all the same thing. Spray it on, sit for a minute, rinse it off.

polarisrider1

Skip the polish and just acid wash it a few time a season and it will look like new. Products like tunnel brite, or alumaclean are good for that. We get it in bulk at work, so I don't know what it costs, but its all the same thing. Spray it on, sit for a minute, rinse it off.

Jim- some how I am not buying into that. Acid wash? with what muriatic, hydrochloric?, sulfuric or just plain old vinigar? Dilute to what ratio. I do not want to anodize tunnel or etch. Is tunnel brite and alumaclean acidic?

ezra

pontoon cleaner is diluted muriatic I use muriatic about 50/50 on trailer tunnel ext ext .toon bright works well about 12 bucks for 25cents of muriatic and watter.

700classic

Don't know about on a tunnel, but I used Busch's aluminum polish on my truck at work. It seemed to work the best and keeps the shine longer. I tried Mothers once and will never do it again. Too much work, ran out of elbow grease! Busch's goes on easy and comes off easy.

ezra

I like wizards it is in a steel tin like a band aid case.rip a small chunk off and work it.works great for small parts on bikes and under hood on sled.takes just a verry small chunk maybe the size of a quarter to shine up say tour pipe.and maybe the size of a tic tac for a steering arm.when I am doing things like tunnels I get a roll of TP to wipe off allot of the black goo after working it for a bit then switch to rags.allot less rags used that way

art1

I use Wizards for the the first time over to get the worst of the grime off then Mothers Billet polish. I don't use a buffer though. I usually put Zaino Clear Seal over it once I'm done so it stays nice longer.

Attachments

• 100_0678.jpg
    100_0678.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 79

woodi

just a question, i left armorall on tunnel overnight it really discolored things know I'm stupid but how ya fix stupid.

jimfsr

in response to the acid question, yes alumabrite, or pontoon cleaner, or any kind of acid based alum. cleaner, is just that, acid. You have to realize that this is not going to eat a hole in your tunnel, this is not a TV show. The stuff you can buy off the shelf is not that strong. What it does is de-oxidize the alum surface, bringing it back to the original state in which it was manufactured before air and salt had a chance to oxidize the surface. I have used this on trucks, sleds, trailers, and even airplanes. In fact it was a requirement to acid wash the bare alum. of the plane before we alodined it and painted it. If it was not acid washed (with a scotch brite pad too), the surface oxidation would keep the paint from properly adhering. Try it and you will be suprised how easy it is and how nice it looks. Just make sure it is rinsed off with water real good. If you let it dry on the surface it will turn it kind of chalky white, like the salt spray dried on the trailer after a trip north. No big deal, just re-apply the acid and rinse. Tip for summer storage... acid wash all the alum parts, rinse well, let dry and spray with WD-40, it will look great in the fall, no oxidation.

If you but the HCL/muratic acid in bulk (gallon) dilute with water about 3 p water to 1 p acid. And remember the saying..."do what ya oughta, add acid to wata"

coldsmokejr

I've used mothers a few times and a buddy of mine turned me on to a product called "white diamonds" I used that with a buffer, took me half the time and I got twice the shine, its a little spendy (about $14 a jug) but you dont need much. Dont waste your time with mothers.
White Diamonds can be found at Pats Yamaha.

1blue99srx600

"The best way would be to have her polish it." HILARIOUS!!!

If you do it for her you'd be the best dad ever!!!, I couldn't pay my dad to do it!

I did mine a 500 SS, if it's a TNT be careful of the stickers on the tunnel, they will turn nice and grey. Mothers aluminum and a powerball and elbow grease, I tell you what I will seriously think long and hard about doing it again!

Art1: OMG, that looks unbelievable I wouldn't want to ride it after that.

Last edited: