Porting of track on Yamaha Vector

edmarino

I have an 06 Vector and was considering porting the track to let more snow in and was wondering if anyone else out there has done this and what possible problems might it cause.

sledneck

Actually porting the track is for evacuating snow out of the track I believe. Possible problems are weakening the track, allowing rocks to get into the track, can't really think of any others though. I have a 07' Attak and have given some thought of doing this myself but for weight loss of spinning track and evacuating snow when riding off trail. Maybe someone else will chime in. Gene

indy_500

If you port it a certain way you can get more snow in. if you also port in another certain way you could let more snow out. but i wouldn't know how. i've never ported anything due to track life. figuring i could save money not having to buy a new track. i know there's information on other websites about this but i know someone will reply with better information than mine

big10champ2003

Edmarino, Here's the question. What are you wanting to port your track for? Porting your track will mainly allow more snow to evacuate. Mainly used for mountain riders or deep snow off trail riders. And typically sleds with longer tracks. If you are mainly a trail rider not sure that you would want to port your track, you would just be taking away a lot of the lubrication that you need for your slides. You would have to get ice scratchers.

Now with all that said. Porting your track is easy. I did mine last summer. Just get a 1.25" or 1.5" hole saw for your drill. I used 1.25". Make sure you have a good drill, they will get warm from using it for so long. I used my pneumatic drill, worked great. Then all you have to do is grind down all the teeth on the hole saw and make it like a sharp razor blade. Reason for this is you dont want to cut the track, you want to burn and melt the track to help keep its strength.

It cuts through the track real easy, but gets a little smelly. It took me about an hour and a half to get my track done. I did a 3-2-3 pattern. I ended up taking about 2.5-3lbs of rubber pucks out of the track.

Hope this helps. Oh and I never had any problems with the integrity of the track yet...but I ride in good snow so.

edmarino

I was looking at porting the track because not every hole is open were the slides ride and I thought this would help but apparently not, so I will not be doing it. Thanks for the info from everyone

sledneck

edmarino do you just want better life out of your hyfax? If so get a low snow wheel kit it will reduce friction quite a bit and will help in other ways as well. I don't like a lot of snow in my track, suspension area as it makes the sled heavier. I have the low snow wheel kit and have over 3,000 miles on my hyfax and they haven't worn much at all. It helps some with fuel mileage, and cuts down on the engine breaking also. PM me if you want to know where I got mine from. Gene

edmarino

To sledneck Please let me know where you got your low snow wheel kit. I have changed my suspention system to a Fast airwave system so I don't know if info will apply but it is worth a shot.Thanks in advance for any info . ED

sledneck

Well the kit I was referring to is for Yamaha suspensions so I don't see any benefit for the Fast Airwave. What are you trying to achieve? You can cut out the closed off windows and add clips to help bring some more snow directly to the hyfax. You can do this easily with a sharp utility knife, you will go through some blades but it cuts fairly easy. Are you burning up hyfax? I had very good hyfax wear when I had a Fast M-10. Gene

edmarino

To Sledneck I am trying to increase hyfax wear life and cutting out the closed windows and adding in clips is what I was thinking. I have an M10 system on my Polaris and have good life on hyfax but all the windows are open. As you know this is not the case on the stock Yamaha track. Every third window is closed. And more clips should help also.

vx700xtc

YES, open the windows and buy the track clips that have holes in them. They are supposed to be lighter, but the holes pack with ice and help a bunch when you get to a stretch of low lube conditions.
I use the holey clips every third clip, first clip is the one the track came with, second is just a solid clip.
Ran this set-up 10000+ miles on an RX-1 (worst sled ever for hyfax life) and on my 06 Apex, and my dads 07 Attak,and 09 Apex LTX.
The improvement is awesome.
Take a good sharp wood chisel, stuff an old peice of hyfax in between the track and the hyfax and cut the block out by striking the chisel with a hammer.
You will need to buy a track clip instalation tool, one you can run with an impact is best.

mezz

I believe the track that comes with these sleds are blocked on every other window so the track holds more snow in the skid. You might want to check with FAST & see if they have a wheel kit for that skid. Have you thought about scratchers? It would also be helpful if you temper the slides which will reduce fast wear.-Mezz

mezz

Ed, to temper your slides, get rolling (crank it up) on a nice hard pack trail or if possible on a snow covered secondary road, run it for a couple of miles, this will heat the slides up. Then pull off into the deeper fresh snow, come to a rolling stop & sit there for a bit. The heated hyfax will cool rapidly in the deep snow & harden the surface. Repeat this if you ever run a hard pack or low snow trail or lake to re-temper. You will be amazed at how many miles you can get out of a set.-Mezz