Pre season Carb Cleaning...

danzo

Was up in Houghton this weekend but came home early cause buddys 03 MXZ 600 HO blew a cylinder. Has 139 on other. Limped it back town and took it to Skidoo dealer there where they comp checked it. 2 mechs and the service guy all asked if we did the pre season carb cleaning? He did not and was told thats prolly the reason why it happened. Talked with another guy at a restaraunt later and he also asked if we cleaned carbs and used fresh gas. I just bought a 05 MXZ 600 HO and Im freakin now cause I havent cleaned carbs as I just bought it and it runs good. Any advice on this is appreciated and also can a guy do this himself on the MXZ?? Im guessin you pull off the float bowls and clean em and maybe pull the slide out and check? Add fuel sys cleaner to gas tank??

TeamsterDave

carb cleaning and carb boots

Was up in Houghton this weekend but came home early cause buddys 03 MXZ 600 HO blew a cylinder. Has 139 on other. Limped it back town and took it to Skidoo dealer there where they comp checked it. 2 mechs and the service guy all asked if we did the pre season carb cleaning? He did not and was told thats prolly the reason why it happened. Talked with another guy at a restaraunt later and he also asked if we cleaned carbs and used fresh gas. I just bought a 05 MXZ 600 HO and Im freakin now cause I havent cleaned carbs as I just bought it and it runs good. Any advice on this is appreciated and also can a guy do this himself on the MXZ?? Im guessin you pull off the float bowls and clean em and maybe pull the slide out and check? Add fuel sys cleaner to gas tank??

I found out the hard way a few years back on my ski doo. I clean my carbs every year but I still melted a piston down. I found out that the carb boots crack near the reed valves. M y dealer said because of the alcohol in the gas it breaks down the rubber. He said they should be replaced every 4 years. good luck

danzo

LOL...found out what caused the cyl fail. Found acorn shells all the way into the reeds. Guy had sled stored in shed somewhere and dam mice get in everywhere.

indy_500

Jets should be cleaned out yearly. Old gas should be drained and thrown in the truck start the season off with a fresh tank of premium non ethanol.