Predictions

RHFD547

The family and I have a cabin rented on Island Lake north of Mercer (next to Bear Chasers) for the last weekend in December. I understand there is a tremendous amount of water and flooding of the trails in this area. The latest I can cancel the cabin and get a refund is around Thanksgiving. I know if it gets good and cold for a extended period of time, the majority of the trails MAY be frozen over. For the gambling and educated type, do I gamble and keep it, or cancel it? I've set in this cabin before and stared at the walls for 3 days after a meltdown followed by a freeze over. I would prefer to not do it again. The insult to that trip was that Bear Chasers was just being rebuilt after their catastrophic fire and there was nowhere to drown our sorrows.

snobuilder

The last full weekend in Dec. is 24th and 25th. We need a drastic change in temps....and soon.... for guys who book this early. Always too risky in my book. I would call the rental and ask for a more reasonable "no snow" cancellation time. I can see a months time for cancelling a summer rental but def. not in winter where most of your clientele are chasing snow.

groomerdriver

The family and I have a cabin rented on Island Lake north of Mercer (next to Bear Chasers) for the last weekend in December. I understand there is a tremendous amount of water and flooding of the trails in this area. The latest I can cancel the cabin and get a refund is around Thanksgiving. I know if it gets good and cold for a extended period of time, the majority of the trails MAY be frozen over. For the gambling and educated type, do I gamble and keep it, or cancel it? I've set in this cabin before and stared at the walls for 3 days after a meltdown followed by a freeze over. I would prefer to not do it again. The insult to that trip was that Bear Chasers was just being rebuilt after their catastrophic fire and there was nowhere to drown our sorrows.

Based on historical averages you should be.fine.

G

G

65 here yesterday. Not normal. Still have not started wood stove. When it turns it is going to turn hard. A lot can change in 7 weeks. It is probably worth a phone call to express your concerns but if they say no it will not be the end of the world. As groomerdriver said - history is on your side. As far as drowning your sorrows have you ever heard of Off Sale? It is possible to drown your sorrows without a bar as strange as it sounds.

shelby369

Have a place in St Germain....... go ever year between Christmas and New Years for the last 20 years...... 16yrs we've rode, 4 years skunked.... I keep an annual sled log so I looked back.... A few of those 16 years were pushing it, but we rode..... the other years were awesome........ and the difference between southern Vilas in snow cover to Northern Vilas with snow cover at that time a year can be significant.. I vote yes.

whitedust

12 years I lived in Vilas I have never seen it this warm in November for so long. Usually even in El Nino years we have ice on our lake by Thanksgiving. I don't see that happening this year but we don't have El Nino lurking either. The cold flip will need to happen by TG to get December ready for all of us. Hopefully JD will forecast the cold fip soon if he doesn't see it coming soon it will be a late flip and late start to winter...... let it ride to TG see if cold flip is forecastable by then.

ezra

worst part is even if they freeze and get snow it will likely be some of the only ridding In the Midwest so the trails will be packed with guys amped up ready to tear it up. groomers wont even try to keep up and it will be a huge waste of time off work. waste of a shock rebuild waste of a good memory gone bad . u could not pay me for that chit been there done that to many times

pinestump

U worry too much go anyway and enjoy whatever the conditions and improvise as necessary or go to your every day deal...Just saying.

6 years ago to today it was in 65 in my backyard and stayed well into the 50s for days after that.

Guess what happened next...by Thanksgiving Sunday I had my first ride of the year in and by Dec 1 had a foot of snow on the ground.

A lot can happen (hopefully) in a few weeks, besides, any snow that falls now isn't likely to stick for more than a couple days anyway.

groomerdriver

Based on historical averages you should be.fine.

Look at where the poster said they are going to be. They are staying in central Iron Cty. WI. It's almost a lock that they'll have rideable snow by the time they go. If the snow is thin they'll be limited to the firelane trails in the area but that would be just fine with me!

T

Tracker

little tip for whenever its low snow or your not sure or stuck inside....always snow from aboot now until june....never ever been skunked in there....we even trailer there and park at entrance of unplowed road signs in the forest....its aboot 50 mile ride from BEARS eastward....remember this for all times as a go to place.....SKYVIEW LODGE AND SUPPER CLUB PRESQUE ISLE....go see the sub continental divide out dare in da woodsies

IMG_0039.jpg