Propane this year

katden4

I checked with my currant propane guy, and out of Minocqua its $1.80 right now and I own the tank. What are your thoughts on when to buy this year? Last year I missed the cut off for pre buy.

mezz

I would lock in as soon a possible considering the on-going increases with everything. I don't see it going down in price, but thats just my .02.

matti

I was just quoted $2.39 for Pre-Buy (Ferrellgas)...for our place in the UP.....I own the tank
Thanks for your post, which served as a great reminder. I just check in with Ferrellgas and was quoted $2.49 (leased tank in Bayfield County, WI).

wisco-mb

I just got my summer fill. Crawford Propane out of Portage, WI. $1.94 a gallon. I rent the tank. The winter contracts are going to be released soon.

My supplier comes out with a weekly blog. Below is the blog from last week.
My price I paid last summer was $1.59.

The one bright spot in all this chaos is propane. Propane prices continue to stay steady through the chaos. Propane is now much cheaper to use for heat than natural gas and fuel oil. Unlike natural gas and other refined products, we already know the maximum export capacity of propane in the US. Therefore, we can do simple predictable math on the supply of propane in our country. As crude harvesting and refining capacity continue to run red-hot, the byproduct of each process is the production of propane. Propane inventories are now higher than they were at this point last year. Now, we don’t want to be complacent. We had very little corn drying demand last year. But with the late planting season this year, corn drying demand could be very high. We are still too early to predict, so we must be cautious. For now, propane prices are at their lowest in six months. If you have not ordered a summer fill, we highly recommend that you do so. Contracts for next winter season will be released probably near the end of June.

LoveMyDobe

locked in with Ferrellgas for 2.49 for a year, last year was 1.69 Cost me a one time fee of 60.00 NWWI Have an outdoor central boiler woodburner for back up, too busy and no time to cut wood anymore. When the house was built we used it all the time, took 7 years before we had to fill our propane tank.

wisco-mb

Mine was also $1.69 last year. Both my neighbors burn wood. Agreed on the time! When I purchased my house, they had a pellet stove installed on the main area. I usually try to run it a couple weeks during the winter. Just to give my furnace a break. I may look into using that more this year. I've found for best price, you need to buy the pellets in bulk though.

ICT Sledder

How long does a 500 gallon tank last you guys over the winter on say a 1500-2000 SF home with the thermostat kept in the 60's?

Just randomly curious. I've always lived in homes with natural gas utility, but that may be changing soon.

whitedust

How long does a 500 gallon tank last you guys over the winter on say a 1500-2000 SF home with the thermostat kept in the 60's?

Just randomly curious. I've always lived in homes with natural gas utility, but that may be changing soon.
No easy answer for that depends on location and how well the house is insulated. I would burn 600 plus gallons in Phelps between November and June also had gas dryer and hot water heater probably 3600 square feet 3 levels but also had wood stove going most of the time on main level. Southern exposure helped too. I don’t know what type of heat you would be changing too but propane or electric is no better than nat gas heat.

snobuilder

No easy answer for that depends on location and how well the house is insulated. I would burn 600 plus gallons in Phelps between November and June also had gas dryer and hot water heater probably 3600 square feet 3 levels but also had wood stove going most of the time on main level. Southern exposure helped too. I don’t know what type of heat you would be changing too but propane or electric is no better than nat gas heat.
I think he means he is relocating to where Natgas is not available

hybrid

BUY a 1000 gallon tank 500 to small
better shot at having to only buy once a year in the summer
i never buy lp in the winter
my place is only 800 sqft tho
i use 3-500 gallons a year
depends how much i run the modine hot dawg furnace in the shop/garage 1000 sqft
only run heat in shop when needed emergency repair/thaw not heated most of the winter
newer furnace and old range oven only in the house on lp
i also team up with 5 other neighbors and we all buy at the same time usually in Aug
call around for best price saves us quite a bit
good luck with your move

Last edited:

whitedust

BUY a 1000 gallon tank 500 to small
better shot at having to only buy once a year in the summer
i never buy lp in the winter
my place is only 800 sqft tho
i use 3-500 gallons a year
depends how much i run the modine hot dawg furnace in the shop/garage 1000 sqft
newer furnace and old range oven only in the house on lp
i also team up with 5 other neighbors and we all buy at the same time usually in Aug
call around for best price saves us quite a bit
good luck with your move
Excellent advice I had 1000 gallon tank too never bought gas in winter. Our road was a nightmare hilly and snow covered November thru April and sure don’t want to need gas when Spring weight restrictions are on.