propane vs electric smoker

deerhunter

im looking into getting a meat smoker but cant decide on which one. is one better than the other? im getting it to make my own vension sausage and snack sticks and want that natural smoke flavor in it

mike

eagle1

Good to know! Cause I ordered one yesterday!! Ordered one where the packaging was slightly damaged, $196!!

eagle1

Did my first smoke tonight!! Turned out great. Mmm mmm.
Did a rack of ribs and a whole chicken. Used hickory chips and 4 1/2 hrs later...... the results

Last edited:

snocrazy

Look at all of that shiny virgin metal in that smoker. It will be solid black in no time. You will love the thing.
Most recently I even discovered smoking hard boiled eggs for 30 minutes before using to make deviled eggs. MMMMMMM.
You picture did make my mouth water.

durphee

I have the electric smoker since I am a rookie and just learning how to smoke. It is nice that it holds its heat very consistent. i made some jerky, came out Ok, still working the kinks out. I am going to try a ham for Easter and some garlic sausage. Any hints or ideas are always welcome!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few years ago a co-worker got me interested in Smoking. Since he was using charcoal I bought an entry level Smoker and used that for a couple of years. Last year I upgraded to the Weber Charcoal Smoker which works really well. Smoking with charcoal requires more attention and monitoring than electric or gas but it gives me about 4 hours to do other things (like take a nap, have a beer, etc) before it needs more fuel. I've smoked all the basics like Ribs, Pulled Pork, Salmon on a Cedar plank, and Sausage. Even a lowly hot dog takes on a nice flavor after an hour or two. I've done brisket but I'm not a big fan.

One of the many "tricks" I've learned is to remove the membrane from the inside of the ribs before you add the rub. The ribs will fall apart much better when they're done and the smoking seems to be more complete. Then I like to use a Memphis Rub on the pork and let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next morning it has a bright orange color going into the Smoker and when it comes out it looks like a Meteorite but man does it taste great. Maybe this weekend......

harvest1121

I do like my electric smoker its great just set the temp and let it go. Watching youtube has taught me more about smoking. The mustard smothering works great to keep the rub on. I just got a used Kamado have to see how it works. kom.jpg

mtb1115

DSC02155.jpg DSC02164.jpg rt3.jpg I have posted before about the pellet smoker grills that are out there and gaining in popularity, they are the bomb !!! I have one made by a company called Rec Tec which I love however there are a few dozen other manufacturers and they all work about the same. Menards now carries a mid sized one for about $500 as well as the cooking pellets. These type of grills offer the best of many worlds, you can smoke to grill on them with a temperature range from 180 to 500 degrees (you can go lower for cold smoking with the purchase of a "smoke tube" from Amazon.com). The best thing with these is you can set it and forget it with out having to baby sit the cooker, fill the hopper with pellets and BAM you're done...

ibendwire

View attachment 46932 View attachment 46934 View attachment 46933 I have posted before about the pellet smoker grills that are out there and gaining in popularity, they are the bomb !!! I have one made by a company called Rec Tec which I love however there are a few dozen other manufacturers and they all work about the same. Menards now carries a mid sized one for about $500 as well as the cooking pellets. These type of grills offer the best of many worlds, you can smoke to grill on them with a temperature range from 180 to 500 degrees (you can go lower for cold smoking with the purchase of a "smoke tube" from Amazon.com). The best thing with these is you can set it and forget it with out having to baby sit the cooker, fill the hopper with pellets and BAM you're done...

I have a few questions as I am looking to buy my first smoker. What you have described is what I am looking for in that I don't want to have to continuously monitor the temperature. Are there advantages to the pellet smoker vs. the electric smoker? I was leaning towards the electric smoker because it appears to me that you plug it in and then set your temperature and that is it. I really don't know anything about smokers so I admit I need to do some research but would like to hear more comments. Also, what is cold smoking?

snocrazy

Even with the electric, you still need to add wood chips.

The pellet stove mtb posted looks interesting. If you do just put in pellets one time, it is more maint free then the electric.
I own a master built electric and love it. I put in wood chips approx hourly.

I tend to linger around the thing a lot drinking beers while it is doing its thing any way. Dont want those good smells to go to waste. :)

eagle1

I have a few questions as I am looking to buy my first smoker. What you have described is what I am looking for in that I don't want to have to continuously monitor the temperature. Are there advantages to the pellet smoker vs. the electric smoker? I was leaning towards the electric smoker because it appears to me that you plug it in and then set your temperature and that is it. I really don't know anything about smokers so I admit I need to do some research but would like to hear more comments. Also, what is cold smoking?

Lots of good info on this forum. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
http://www.smoking-meat.com/

Of course there's plenty of you tube videos also.

mtb1115

The pellet grills use a hard, fruit or a blend of wood that has been ground up and run thru a machine that forms the pellets, which is your fuel. They require electricity to run the feed auger and combustion blower as well as the ignition module and the temperature control circuitry. Once you fill the hopper with the pellets (some hold #20 to #40 lbs) you set the temp you wish to cook at (I use 220 degrees for brisket) they develop and maintain that temp. You use aprox. 1 to 2 pounds of pellets an hour, more in colder weather and when cooking at higher temps and less in warmer weather or lower temps and ( I've used mine all winter long). I will often put a brisket on before I got to bed and in the morning it's done and ready to go. Check out the pellet cooking web sights or blogs. My grill was a bit expensive but the one at Menards is reasonable and only slightly smaller.

Woodtic

Mtb1115, I'm looking hard at these pellet grills. Can you get 500 deg out of them in the winter? My other dilemma is ,I can walk to Wild West BBQ on Rt 59 and Baby Back Blues is a 5 min drive,on rt30.

m8man

I had an electric that I got from mezz and that worked great for a couple of years. I have just upgraded to a weber smokey mountain. You can get no maintenance burns for 10 hrs which is waaaaaay diff than I thought.

They are all good, it's just a matter of personal pref. All I know for sure is that food looked crazy good in this post.

m8man

mtb1115

Might be a little tough to get the full 500 degrees in cooler temps without a blanket, but I have not tried. If I'm in need of higher temps for grilling I'll just fire up the old Weber gas, and yes the Weber Smokey Mt. is a very nice unit and Wild West and Baby Back Blues do have excellent eats, I do go there also.

saltyg

Eagle1 - coming back to this - did you go for the Masterbuilt 30" smoker, and if so how is it working for you?

thx

-Saltyg

ezra

I have a electric and I did a brisket in jan was not really getting warm enough so I moved to the garage my garage still smells like smoked brisket.lol
I have tried a lot of things that jeff at www.smoking-meat.com sends to my e mail and all been great.