Question about snowmobiling at night.

matti

Hi everyone.

First, I'm not a snowmobiler, so this might be a silly question. I'm simply a snow lover and I visit this site to learn more about weather and general goings-on in northern WI and the UP.

I really enjoy going for a drive in the middle of the night, say 2-3am or so. I find it relaxing and quite peaceful. Do a lot of you folks ride your sled in the middle of the night? If so, do you take trails that go deep into the middle of nowhere? Or maybe you stay closer to your house/hotel or a town?

Just curious. Thanks

1fujifilm

Hi everyone.

First, I'm not a snowmobiler, so this might be a silly question. I'm simply a snow lover and I visit this site to learn more about weather and general goings-on in northern WI and the UP.

I really enjoy going for a drive in the middle of the night, say 2-3am or so. I find it relaxing and quite peaceful. Do a lot of you folks ride your sled in the middle of the night? If so, do you take trails that go deep into the middle of nowhere? Or maybe you stay closer to your house/hotel or a town?

Just curious. Thanks

P.D., you out there?

Bear

D

Deleted member 10829

P.D., as Bear alludes to, or Polaris Dan, does lots of this. The biggest issue could be getting gas, but I know he just loves riding at those hours. Nobody out and trails are usually freshly groomed. I've never done it but would like to try it sometime.

WorkHardPlayHrd

My husband and I do it all the time. Way less traffic. I can see others coming. Just need to know the area you are in. Certain areas of Michigan and Minnesota you need to be very aware of your fuel level because pay at the pump is not available. But, when you stop in the middle of nowhere and shut off the sleds at night the view is just gorgeous. No lights to affect the stars or northern lights. Absolute peace.

durphee

We (with PD and with my other group) ride a decent amount at night. Lots of perks...trails usually groomed smooth, almost no one else out riding, you can see other sleds very easily if they are out, and don’t forget to stop and look up in the sky and see tons of stars (obviously when it’s clear).

above post hit the submit button right before I did!

Dont get to do it as much anymore as usually riding solo,and when I am with others they dont care to ride to late. As others have mentionedIt doesnt get much better then riding at night. Smooth flat trails,dont have to worry as much at everycorner if somebody is riding on the wrong side of trail(on one ski of course) coming in hot to the corner like they own it. Cool crisp air no other noise when you stop for a break. Just make sure your tanks full and pay attention to odometer/mpg's.

2TrakR

Echoing other comments. Less traffic, quieter trails. Definitely nice to see oncoming traffic or groomer, rare to be surprised by a machine coming at you.

Downside is stopping for a break in the middle of nowhere as it is DARK when the machine shuts off. I carry a couple wind-up LED lanterns.

Other downside for break time in dark in UP, hearing wolves howling not too far away.

snomoman

If anyone has read some of my posts in the past I always have interesting stories to tell, well here goes, last February my cousin and I decided to go for a night ride and ended up down at the Sidnaw gas station where we filled up with gas, then decided to take trail 15 south then trail 2 east to Iron River, where we had dinner and filled up with gas again, on the way back the older sled which was a 2003 Polaris XC 600 decided to throw a rod through the crank case, we hadn’t seen a single sled on the trails for hours, this was a tuesday nite, I guess we could of left it where it blew up, we were 23 miles from the sidnaw gas station, so we towed the sled back to the sidnaw gas station, left it there and then rode on my snowmobile with both of us all the way back to mass city which was around 40 miles, didn’t get back to the hotel till about three in the morning, the next morning I called Kip and said “Kip are you interested in buying a blown up Polaris?” and he said yes and had it picked up by a sled towing company he knows.....that my friends is the end of the story

Last edited:

Stench

I prefer night riding to daytime. Oncoming headlights warn of approaching riders. My headlights illuminate the trails well. On an overcast night, I've shut down the machine and couldn't see my hand in front of my face. On a clear night the moon reflects off the snow an you'd swear it was just dusk.
Groomers.... they typically go out at night. Find a groomer, let him pass, head the opposite direction, and open her wide on that fresh sheet of heaven..... NOTHING BETTER in my opinion.
Haven't ran into gas issues.... but always a possibility.

Only draw back..... last year we headed out of Baraga southwest towards Sidnaw. Light fluffy snow falling and getting kicked up made it difficult to see when your headlight brightens the snow in the air, especially if you weren't leading.... Riding with guys who knew the trail..... I think I pee'd a little when we hit the rollers and I didn't expect em.

euphoric1

I love riding at night especially in densely wooded areas when there is a lot of snow stuck to branches with the surrounding dark its like riding through a snow tunnel and you will sometimes have very light snow falling from branches which gives a sparkle to the air in the headlights, and when you come to a clearing stopping, turning off the sleds you feel like you are the only one on the planet, for me night is safer especially when neandering through woods. Not one to turn down a night ride unless it is snowing heavily.

blkhwkbob

There is nothing like stopping the sleds in the middle of nowhere and looking up at the stars in total silence. I live five minutes from Ohare airport and two blocks from I-294 so those are things I basically never experience.

wirev

Used to do it all the time---not so much as I've gotten older, but I liked night riding because you could see sleds coming at you. Daytime doesn't afford seeing oncoming traffic like at night.

dfattack

Love riding at night for all the reasons mentioned so far. Can't add anything new. Absolutely love the stars at night and the silence. I will add that I also like riding on cloudy days much better than sunny days. Can't stand dealing with the sun glaring in my eyes.

matti

Everyone, thanks for sharing! I enjoyed reading your stories. And I agree that being in the middle of the woods with no lights and a dark, starlit sky can be very enjoyable. One of my favorite drives of all time was when I was driving through western Montana in the middle of the night (driving from Oregon to Minnesota). It was so peaceful and relaxing.

Agree with the above. I remember taking my family years back outside of town for the first time on a clear night then shutting the sleds down. Their reactions were amazing.
There are just two places I would stop and enjoy a cigar, trailside at night and on a golf course.

600_RMK_144

P.D., you out there?

Bear

My first thought as well. Where is PD when you need him?! My first time ever to the UP was with Dan and we got back to the hotel at 1:00am with 195 miles for the day. I say to him as we are walking in "I've never had a 200 mile day of riding, we almost did it today!" PD: "Get back on, let's go!!!!" He lives for night riding in the UP. No traffic, smooth as glass trails and occasional stop at the bridge for a smoke. HA!

latner

My first thought as well. Where is PD when you need him?! My first time ever to the UP was with Dan and we got back to the hotel at 1:00am with 195 miles for the day. I say to him as we are walking in "I've never had a 200 mile day of riding, we almost did it today!" PD: "Get back on, let's go!!!!" He lives for night riding in the UP. No traffic, smooth as glass trails and occasional stop at the bridge for a smoke. HA!

Pretty sure I saw him posting on another sled forum

night riding is the best. do it locally, No Mn and in the UP for various reasons. have bud that him and i go out after hours for a quick rip and really enjoy it. group of us have a few stops on the Gunflint and sit with a beer, some have a nail and just chat and listen to wildlife and watch the falling stars and northern lights.

chords

IMG_5658 (2).JPG For a relaxing drive at 2:31 am head out on a safe to you lake or any time after dark.. Do a few doughnuts and spin around and park. You will experience sounds and sight seen by few others. Way beyond flipping up a visor in a forest of trees and your ears ringing at 3000 rpms.

Last edited: