Question for any Concrete guys out there.

doospunk

Looking to get a slab poured off the base of our deck. I've got a friend who works in the business I want to give the job to, but want to make sure the price is fair. Initially, I wanted to go with a 30 foot long, by 20 deep at their longest and widest points, but may rethink that depending on cost. (It will be a curved slab with some archs in it). He just gave me a real rough estimate today, so it's nothing set in stone. (No pun intended). He was guesstimating about 10 bucks per square foot for a stamped and stained slab, and roughly 7 bucks per square foot w/o stamp and stain. It will be up against the foundation of the house, but not attached, so a "floating slab" to allow for expansion/contraction? He said he'd reinforce it all with rebar (sp?), and would reinforce it further where we or someone who buys our house in the future would place a hot tub. (When we finisned our basement, I had all the wiring pulled into a terminal for a hot tub in case we ever wanted to install one.) My question is whether or not that's in the ballpark for price, and whether or not there's anything else to consider. We are on sand, and he would also do all the leveling and grading to ensure water drains away from the house. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cat600

$10 per foot sound pretty damn good to me, I think the norm is like $13-14 and a slab that size easily costing over the $10k mark.

But maybe I am wrong. Been a long time since I've looked at concrete.

scottiking

Seems a couple bucks a foot steep! $5 bucks for a regular broom finish! I think my cement guy gets $7 stamped and colored!
Just had him do 1000 sq ft stamped patio for me so I'll check what it was!

SCOTTIKING out

doo_dr

Quick math tells me that @ $100/yard for concrete you would have:
$1200 in concrete
$250 in rebar (may be a little light but it's not a driveway)
$250 in forms and expansion material
If you have to haul in a base you could be another $2-500.

So we'll call it $2000 for material (not including stain and stamping)

Depending on your design, they could be 1-1.5 days for set up and 1/2 day to pour and stamp. That should be roughly $800/day

So $3600 into 600 sq ft is $6/sq ft for a plain concrete slab. IMO that is a "no profit job/ good guy discount" job. I don't know pricing on staining and stamping and the price of concrete in your area so that could make the price swing pretty quick. $10/ft sounds OK to me but I usually barter labor, help with the project, and pay for all of the material. Just be careful not to offer to buy the beer when its done. Concrete guys have hollow legs!!!

eao

Just be careful with dealing with friends, sometimes you end up as not being friends afterward. I had a friend do some work for me and since he was giving me a deal he also figured he could cut corners where and when he wanted. All in all wish I would not have hired him, without my knowledge he buried the overage concrete in a hole in my gravel drive way that we discovered years later where I went to have it paved. Probably why he told me he would pour the concrete only when I was home but the week I had to be out of town he came in and did it even after he assured me he would call before he did. Then to top it off he would not accept a check, wanted stickily cash under the table, no receipts etc which he never mentioned up front.

This was over 20 yrs ago. A little side note to this. About a year later he calls me up out of the blue to ask me about this slab work he did. He wanted to know if there was any paperwork that tied him to the work like did I borrow money etc. I lied and told him yup, I took out a mortage to build the shop and the bank wanted a list of all contractors I had hired to justify the construction loan. He was po'd. I think he was having some tax issues and was worried this $3,000 was going to cost him. My payback for his dishonesty.

Last edited:

jerkbait_1075

Doospunk,

I have been in the concrete business for 23. Working part time as a welder/fabricator in the truck repair shop for a large family business that owns numerous ready mix concrete companies and sand pits. I know alot of concrete contractors in the north western illinois area. As a matter of fact me and my wife just complete a large stamped/stained concrete patio project at our home. We poured the last 3 yards yesterday after noon. All in total our patio is 56 ft. by 24 ft. at the max. numerous curves and radius. We used a total of 18 yards of concrete. When you work for a ready mix company the employee pricing allowes you to go WAYYYYYY overboard on the size of your patio. Anyways. in my part of Illinois stamped and stained concrete ranges from $10-$22 sq. ft. Depending on how elaborate the project is. The problem with pricing this stuff by the sq. foot is that the liquid base intergral color as well as the suface release agent and stain (water based vs. acid) range from a couple bucks to a$100 per cubic yard in price. We used coloring products from both Brickform corporation as well as Solomon Concrete products. I suggest you check out their websites for ideas. The bottom line with coloring and staining is the more complicate the color (pigmentation requirements) the more expensive they get to make. The brickform product we used cost $22 per bucket/one bucket per cubic yard. We went with a intergarl color called Phenix Tan. We also used a Solomon liquid color called Taupe on some of the pours, that was $16 per bucket. I will tell you again depending on the pigmentation in the color recipe we looked at colors that were $75 per bucket. Crazy!!!!!! We then used a Medium grey powder release agent over the top before the stamping process. Staining highlights were done by using Brickform Artisen water based staining products. As far as the stamps we used rough cut ashular slate 2 ft by 2 ft tiles to border and cut the larger sections of the patio into large slabs. We then used whats called texturing "skins" to texture the area in between the stamped area. Gave the look of large slabs of stone that were bordered ashular slate. Once the concrete is poured and cured in 7 days you will need to sealed with a good solvent based high gloss sealer. This stuff isnt cheap either. We used a concrete sealer called Pro Super Seal. The employee price on a 5 gallon bucket of that stuff was somewhere around $110.

Bottom line, im a concrete guy. Stamp your patio you will love it. If you want let me know and I would be happy to take some pictures tonight and post them on here.

Besides the concrete, color and stains you also have to consider the amount of labor that goes into some of these stamping jobs depending on what stamp is used. Some of the patterns are VERY complicated and require alot of planning and layout work. The contractor only gets one chance once he starts stamping.

My project broke down like this:

Concrete- $100 per cubic yard (retail, not my price)
Liquid intergal color- $16-$22 per cubic yard (ranging from $12-$75 per cubic yard)
Color release agent- $40 per 5 gallon bucket of powder (ranging from $35-$90 per bucket)
Artisen Water Based Stain- $25-$40 per gallon (ranging from $25-$120 per gallon)
Sealer- $150 per 5 gallons
Contractor labor- Very good friends with the contractor, did is for $4 per sq. ft. he only did the stamping. I did all the tear out, grade work, forming, stripping of forms, saw cutting, ect.
Stamp rental- $200

krupps_resort

jerkbait_1075--If possible, would you please post pics. I would really like to see what you just explained-sounds beautiful. (I don't know if this knowledge has come into the UP yet-I may check into this)
Sandy (hmmmm, Richard doesn't know what I'm thinking yet-LOL)

doospunk

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Scottik - Give me an idea what your guy did it for. We're in the same marketplace, so cost of concrete should be somewhat similar I assume.

Jerkbait - Please do post pics. He did mention several of the things you posted above regarding release agents, stains, sealers, etc. so glad to know that he's covering those points. As I mentioned above, those were just very rough estimates he was giving me, and price will vary depending on the quality and types of stains, patterns, etc. It was a bit much for me to retain the first go around. He had several pics on his phone of jobs done he'd done, but it's a bit difficult comprehend it all on a small phone vs pictures. Thanks!

5_spot

Just be careful with dealing with friends, sometimes you end up as not being friends afterward. I had a friend do some work for me and since he was giving me a deal he also figured he could cut corners where and when he wanted. All in all wish I would not have hired him, without my knowledge he buried the overage concrete in a hole in my gravel drive way that we discovered years later where I went to have it paved. Probably why he told me he would pour the concrete only when I was home but the week I had to be out of town he came in and did it even after he assured me he would call before he did. Then to top it off he would not accept a check, wanted stickily cash under the table, no receipts etc which he never mentioned up front.

This was over 20 yrs ago. A little side note to this. About a year later he calls me up out of the blue to ask me about this slab work he did. He wanted to know if there was any paperwork that tied him to the work like did I borrow money etc. I lied and told him yup, I took out a mortage to build the shop and the bank wanted a list of all contractors I had hired to justify the construction loan. He was po'd. I think he was having some tax issues and was worried this $3,000 was going to cost him. My payback for his dishonesty.

Based on your description, I don't see where he was "dishonest". It's not uncommon to bury overage concrete. As far as schedule, it could have been coincedence that you were out of town. Between weather, other jobs scheduled & trying to keep employees busy, you pour when you can. As far as the cash, I don't know what was negotiatied, but I always get people who ask for a "Cash" price. They want a "Cash" discount but don't understand that discount comes with no documentation, when docs are involved, no reason for a discount. That is why I don't even deal with "Cash" discounts, I don't want the liability. Sounds to me like he gave you a "deal" & it ended up costing him.

garyl62

I've done a lot of construction work and management, never poured concrete myself except for my own work, but have managed it as part of jobs. As a lot of guys have said, the stamping price can really vary but $10 seems on the low side. On the other hand, $7 for typical broom finish seems on the high side if you're getting a 4" slab. If a lot of the curves are in that section and the set-up will be more involved then it may be ok. If it takes a lot of effort to get the material to the job location it could be ok too, but then the stamped price should have been higher. Just remember, you got a rough idea. It could change a lot when you make your final decisions and get a firm price. A lot of people used to ask me for "a Ballpark" as to what a job would cost and a few years ago I quite giving people rough ideas. It always changes because they used the rough idea to either cut the project back, or make it bigger. Then if they cut it back they usually told everyone I was way out of line when they got it cheaper, or got ticked off when they added all the bells and whistles and the price was a lot higher.

Just get a firm quote with the paperwork. Don't do it on time and material, a good flatwork guy knows how to quote and wouldn't be scared off by you asking for a firm number.

jerkbait_1075

Pics of the our patio

Attachments

• DSC03480.jpg
    DSC03480.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC03481.jpg
    DSC03481.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC03482.jpg
    DSC03482.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC03483.jpg
    DSC03483.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC03484.jpg
    DSC03484.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 165

garyl62

Looks great! These photos raised another question for me, about the wall you have. Did you put it on a footing, or just compacted stone and a full course below grade? Has it been through a winter and how did it fair for movement?

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not know a dang thing about concrete, but I am looking forward to spilling some beer on your new patio Haydays weekend!

jerkbait_1075

Yes, Both the Columns and the wall are on one continuous concrete footing dug to 48 inches. Talked to one of our customers at the Ready Mix where I work who does alot of stone wall / Landscaping work. He told me that he started to put concrete footings under everything. To much frost, freeze, thaw in our part of the midwest. Said he got tired of trying to go back and straighten walls and colums that moved from one year to the next. I tell yah, I really loved doing the stone work part of the patio project. It was fun!!! I mean alot of work, and alot of "dinaro" (Decorative stone can be spendy) but the "possibilities" are endless. Initially we were just going to do the columns and then after seeing the options on display then it became a wall, pillar, firepit project. I actually poured my own caps for the pillars. Used the same technique we did on the patio to make my own caps. We are going to build outdoor bar and kitchen area yet but we have kinda reached the stopping point budget wise for the time being. Plus heading up to the northwoods tmmrw for a week at the inlaws near the "up" border. Get back from there next friday home for ten days and then leave again for the Hardrock Punta Cana for a week. Schedule is kinda full right now. Come July I plan on tackling the Kitchen/Bar project.

jerkbait_1075

And Skylar, If you spill any beer, well thats just a crime in itself. But if you do spill, you better go get a fresh one. The fridge is in the garage!!!!!!

polarisrider1

Concrete is way cheaper over here or maybe it is the labor. Just got a price for a 64x27 slab with 12" Rat wall with double row of rebar, and 32 piers at 42" deep under the slab for Five Grand Cash. that's $2.89 a sq. ft. and that includes the piers. Then 3 rows (24" tall) of 6" block to go around the perimiter with 4 vents and a 2'x2' scuttle hole, for $2300 mat. and labor.

jerkbait_1075

Polarisrider, Piers??? Ratwall??? Scuttle vent holes??? What are you building? Some type of bin or ground silo??? Anyways... 5K cash thats pretty cheap. Sounds like your talking new construction, that being that case new construction (no tear out) is ussually considerably cheaper. Anyone experienced, with s skid steer can form up any type of slab in no time at all if they know what they are doing. I will say that its still about a $1 per sq ft. cheaper than even the cheapest guy that I know of in my area. I would jump on that deal because that guy is either going to figure out that he is working way to hard for way to little or he wont be in business that long. Good Luck.