Question on fill time for a toilet

whitedust

Another question. My water pump in basement runs for 20 seconds, around every 20 minutes. No water is being used in house for last few hours. Is this normal you think??

No noises from any toilets. House is 70 degrees.
Either pressure tank blatter is shot or pipes from well leak losing pressure causing pump to recycle. Both common problems that need to be corrected as both only get worse systematic to more costly problems. Looks to me like your are going to spend some money on repairs.

jjj70095

I did a deep flush on the problem toilet and that fixed the water pump issue. I will use another toilet until I get someone to come take a look at the problem toilet. It is causing issues with the water level somehow.

hybrid

Either pressure tank blatter is shot or pipes from well leak losing pressure causing pump to recycle. Both common problems that need to be corrected as both only get worse systematic to more costly problems. Looks to me like your are going to spend some money on repairs.
i had this problem last year
well guy pulled my pump and found the pvc pipe coming up was leaking at a threaded fitting
the pump was 20 years old so he pulled everything out installed a new pump wire and replaced the threaded fitting
1200 bucks and good to go another 20 years

pclark

The silver valve to toilet is all the way to the left. Here is pic of fill tank. The blue spot is a toilet cleaner pill that I put in about 6 weeks ago.
Sometimes a piece of those blue cakes can get under the seal of the rubber flap and it doesn’t close all the way?

jjj70095

That is a possibility. I am not going use the blue tablets anymore. This one is dissolved all the way now. I once had a sticker label on the toilet get stuck on the flapper and that caused the water pump to not shut off.

whitedust

If plumber is there he can check your pressure tank bladder if it is shot replace it as causes your water pump to cycle too much which can burn it out. Also replace with a larger pressure tank so the pump gets less use between cycles.

jjj70095

Sounds good. I was gone the whole day and just got back and checked the water pump. No dampness or dripping at all, so it did not keep going off while I was away today.

If the flapper was bad, wouldn't the water from the tank be lower and drip into the toilet bowl while I am away? The water level in tank is not changing while I am away. I think problem is fill valve or floater.

Last edited:

whitedust

Sounds good. I was gone the whole day and just got back and checked the water pump. No dampness or dripping at all, so it did not keep going off while I was away today.

If the flapper was bad, wouldn't the water from the tank be lower and drip into the toilet bowl while I am away? The water level in tank is not changing while I am away. I think problem is fill valve or floater.
Yes the stopper doesn’t seat it will keep calling for water until the proper level is satisfied. It’s really simple mechanics. If the blue cleaner caused the stopper not to seat that could have caused the problem especially if you are holding the lever down the water comes in quite fast causes a current when drained moves the blue disk. Seems I had the same problem with those disks stopped using them more problems than they are worth especially when the family used the toilet.