Rain in Ont. Canada.

old abe

Yep!!! But, now we don't have the "snow train" to escape back south in poor weather conditions. And no North of Superior Loop anymore. 2 big losses in my book!!!

Last edited:

frnash

Yep!!! But, now we don't have the "snow train" to escape back south in poor weather conditions. And no North of Superior Loop anymore. 2 big looses [sic] in my book!!!
Yer gonna need some tights to make up fer those "looses"! :devilish:

old abe

Freezing rain in Hearst, On as I write. What a bummer!!! Although the weather looks good after tomorrow for several weeks.

old abe

I just got back from a 1,200 mile Ontario, Canada trip. Got real lucky with the snowfall on 2-24 on. 2-25, and 2-27 it really came down!!! Almost perfect conditions in the worst areas. There is noting to compare to riding in Canada for myself. None!

dfattack

I just got back from a 1,200 mile Ontario, Canada trip. Got real lucky with the snowfall on 2-24 on. 2-25, and 2-27 it really came down!!! Almost perfect conditions in the worst areas. There is noting to compare to riding in Canada for myself. None!

Glad you had a good time. would love to hear more info...where, routes, towns, etc.

old abe

We were very blessed with the weather after we got up there. Had the storm not produced, it would have been a very bad trip. The warm up was really devastating up there also. Many water holes, but only one that caused a long detoured route. The small ones froze up fast. So we did Sault St Marie, Wawa, Dubrevuilville, Hornepayne, Hearst, Mattice, Kapuskasing, Moonbeam, Cochrane, Abitibi Canyon, Smooth Rock Falls, Iroquois Falls, Timmins, Foleyet, Chapleau, Halfway Heaven. Not what we had planned, but it turned out to be a real good run. Took in many loops/tours along the way. The 900 Ace Renegade has proved to be my ride of choice for Canadian trips. Covered many miles, and always felt fresh, ready for more. In hopes the North of Superior Loop will be back next year. It's absolutely great riding up there.

Hoosier

We were very blessed with the weather after we got up there. Had the storm not produced, it would have been a very bad trip. The warm up was really devastating up there also. Many water holes, but only one that caused a long detoured route. The small ones froze up fast. So we did Sault St Marie, Wawa, Dubrevuilville, Hornepayne, Hearst, Mattice, Kapuskasing, Moonbeam, Cochrane, Abitibi Canyon, Smooth Rock Falls, Iroquois Falls, Timmins, Foleyet, Chapleau, Halfway Heaven. Not what we had planned, but it turned out to be a real good run. Took in many loops/tours along the way. The 900 Ace Renegade has proved to be my ride of choice for Canadian trips. Covered many miles, and always felt fresh, ready for more. In hopes the North of Superior Loop will be back next year. It's absolutely great riding up there.

Good to hear. How many days did that take? I'm dying to get back up there but it's not going to happen this year. Too many other obligations. But there's always next year. We sort of did that big loop you described last March but without the Caynon loop. Wished we had more time to hit the off loops along the way.

I'm with you - there's nothing like riding up there. That 900 probably helped take down the gas costs quite a bit too. Did it have enough acceleration and top end for you up there? I was surprised that I liked the one I rode as much as I did. Of course I liked the Cat 600 I rode a lot too, and there are good prices on those.

I've been keeping an eye on thegroomerguy's and halfway haven's facebook pages - seems like there have been a lot of sleds up there, which is great. There's always so much negativity about the future of the sport but it's nice to see some areas see a big uptick.

old abe

Good to hear. How many days did that take? I'm dying to get back up there but it's not going to happen this year. Too many other obligations. But there's always next year. We sort of did that big loop you described last March but without the Caynon loop. Wished we had more time to hit the off loops along the way.

I'm with you - there's nothing like riding up there. That 900 probably helped take down the gas costs quite a bit too. Did it have enough acceleration and top end for you up there? I was surprised that I liked the one I rode as much as I did. Of course I liked the Cat 600 I rode a lot too, and there are good prices on those.

Hoosier we actually rode 7 days. I wish we could have rode a couple more days, but hockey tournaments, and fishing derbies made the lodging somewhat difficult. It snowed so hard the day we did the canyon, we did not get see, or get any pics that we wanted. As for the 900 Ace, it was bought for my wife, but it got me hooked. No need to worry about the type fuel, 20 plus mpg, and most of all it's so quiet. I hate the helmet noise of my other sleds any more, and they are not loud at all (all stock exhaust). It is a little short on the top side, but the rest of its performance by far out weighs that loss. 85/90 top. Cruised at 70/75 all day, or wide open for miles. It's a perfect ride for me. Pulls hard out of the corners, and you never get tired of riding it. It will never wear you out. I find that the new 1200's with the electronic throttle are much better than the older ones without TBW. The Doo 4/strokes sleds are by far better balanced and handling rides than the Yama/Cats are. Sleds should not need power steering!!! 1200 is very much faster than the Viper. My 900 will run with the Viper. Followed a S/W for a couple of days, no problem. He would lose me fast on the open runs, but I could push him hard in the twistie/curved trails. When he would stop, he was wore out. Ride before you buy always!!! And 4/strokes are a different ride than a 2/stroke. How ever the Ace 900 is very, very close. I'm ready to go back!!!!!!!!!! I've got big plans for next year!!!!!!!

Hoosier

Hoosier we actually rode 7 days. I wish we could have rode a couple more days, but hockey tournaments, and fishing derbies made the lodging somewhat difficult. It snowed so hard the day we did the canyon, we did not get see, or get any pics that we wanted. As for the 900 Ace, it was bought for my wife, but it got me hooked. No need to worry about the type fuel, 20 plus mpg, and most of all it's so quiet. I hate the helmet noise of my other sleds any more, and they are not loud at all (all stock exhaust). It is a little short on the top side, but the rest of its performance by far out weighs that loss. 85/90 top. Cruised at 70/75 all day, or wide open for miles. It's a perfect ride for me. Pulls hard out of the corners, and you never get tired of riding it. It will never wear you out. I find that the new 1200's with the electronic throttle are much better than the older ones without TBW. The Doo 4/strokes sleds are by far better balanced and handling rides than the Yama/Cats are. Sleds should not need power steering!!! 1200 is very much faster than the Viper. My 900 will run with the Viper. Followed a S/W for a couple of days, no problem. He would lose me fast on the open runs, but I could push him hard in the twistie/curved trails. When he would stop, he was wore out. Ride before you buy always!!! And 4/strokes are a different ride than a 2/stroke. How ever the Ace 900 is very, very close. I'm ready to go back!!!!!!!!!! I've got big plans for next year!!!!!!!

That sounds great. The noise thing is something I didn't expect either - part of when I was riding it I was riding with my 5 year daughter in front of me. We could basically have a conversation even with helmets on.

frnash

Good to hear. How many days did that take? …
This message with the malformed/mangled quotation (and many similar ones of late) inspired me to spend most of the day completely reworking my earlier post in Board Use Q&A, entitled "Using quotations in your message(s) …".

Nothin' personal old abe, just borrowing this context as a convenient jumping off point; you're not alone!

Once again, "There's been a lot of edited/screwed up quotations on the board lately!"

Note to all: See my "latest and greatest" effort at …
(click →) How to use quotes in replying to a message, a full and complete tutorial (with lotsa purty pictures!).
I will be referring other folks to that tutorial as the need arises.

Last edited:

old abe

This message with the malformed/mangled quotation (and many similar ones of late) inspired me to spend most of the day completely reworking my earlier post in Board Use Q&A, entitled "Using quotations in your message(s) …".

Nothin' personal old abe, just borrowing this context as a convenient jumping off point; you're not alone!

Once again, "There's been a lot of edited/screwed up quotations on the board lately!"

Note to all: See my "latest and greatest" effort at …
(click →) How to use quotes in replying to a message, a full and complete tutorial (with lotsa purty pictures!).
I will be referring other folks to that tutorial as the need arises.

Okay frnash. But does anyone else care??? I get your reason. Buttttttttttt-----------------, I say so what!!!

frnash

Don't be sealing my identity now too!!! You just keep doing what you have been, and all will be fine!!!

1. "Don't be sealing [sic?] my identity now too!!"? — I don't have a clue to what that means!
  2. How come I see an "orphan" formatting tag at the head of your latest message, as reads: {QUOTE=old abe;445597} (but in square brackets "[" & "]" instead?
That couldn't be a carelessly edited quotation, as discussed in step 5 of my post "How to use quotes in replying to a message", could it?

Naww, that certainly couldn't be, 'cuz that would just be an example of the old saying:
"You buy 'em books, and buy 'em books, and all they do is eat the covers!"

A usage example from an article in the Los Angeles Times, June 28, 1985:
(click →) "State Dept. Official Scores U.S. Churches' Sympathy for Central American Marxists", quoted here in part:
"The official, Assistant Secretary of State Langhorne A. Motley, also said he found Congress and the media unexpectedly difficult to educate about Central America.

'You buy 'em books and buy 'em books, and all they do is eat the covers,' he said."
And besides, I have a lot of respect for (click →) Old Abe.
:devilish:

old abe

Good job frnash, except I would have thought you would have figured out that I forgot the "t"??? Yes, my bad. How ever, I am happy to see that you are still on the job!!! Can you figure out what "old abe" my user name comes from??? With your resources, you should be able to get it??? Oh, I almost forgot again, it has been raining again in Ontario!!!!!!!!!! I really enjoy riding up there!!!

old abe

I have some sad news. OFSC says the Ontario snowmobile trails are all closed. This year has to be one of the earliest this has happened up there. What a BUUMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!