rear shock removal 2007 Crossfire 7

saber

Got both shocks out of the sled this weekend to have them rebuilt. Was able to pull them out w/o removing the skid. Question is how do I get them back in, the front shock was hard to get out because of the tension on the bolts because of the spring. Should I pull the skid to reinstall them? I do not think I will be able to compress the front shock enough to get it to line up tp install the bolts.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I know I have a week or so until I get them back but it is bugging me thinking about it.

Saber

ezra

just pull the skid I can swap tracks in a xfire buy my self on a xfire in less than 1 hr.
reassemble skid.
tip sled on its side
drop skid in
install fr skid bolts

now it varies on the guy doing the job
I use the tighten the track method
get drill driver with a socket on it and tighten track adjustment bolt on rear of skid till track tension starts to collapse suspension to the point that rear mounting holes line up.IMHO best way to do buy your self or with a bud
2nd way you have a 07 so it is a non float skid so you have to hold the rear spring and unbolt the plastic bracket bolted to bottom of skid and release tension to rear arm then install rear arm bolts then re tension springs and re attach slide blocks .but why do all that when you can just use the above method of tensing the track to collapse suspension

thebreeze

What ezra said. Pulling the skid is pretty quick and easy especially with two sets of hands and is a nice opportunity to check out the skid, replace bearings, hifax, etc. I use ratchet straps to compress the skid when reinstalling it into the sled. The front shock would be almost impossible to reinstall with the skid in the sled.

I have an 2006 and also pull the skid. I used a ratchet strap to collapse the skid, easy way to line up holes for the shock and to install the skid.

ezra

you people have to ditch the ratchet straps and trust me on this if after you try my way you dont think it is way faster and way more EZ Im will buy you lunch.I bet a trailer full of mechanics on a drag team I could do it faster and they were shocked and said they never thought of doing it that way.
install fr bolts tighten track with you standard 9/16 and a extension hooked to cordless impact and skid will collapse and rear holes line up perfect if you go to far just loosen less than 10 min every time.
also helps greatly if you have sled rear hanging off remote control hoist or just a ratchet strap so you can lower to the skid in stead of other way around but on its side works well to

markf419

Ditto what ezra said, toss the ratchet straps and just tighten the track to bring the rear arm down when installing skid. I R+R'ed my all my Cats shocks without pulling the skids. I don't recall a problem. If the ft skid is hangin down and limit straps and your track are slack. Pulling skid gives better access but does not increase space between mounting points, ft or rear, providing your sled is in the air. Ck your straps.

Last edited: