Recommendations for 1st time heading West from Twin Cities

machz2005

With the lack of snow everywhere, I'm looking for some advice any of you may have for a 1st time riding group heading west. Closest, best riding, lodge, etc.? Thanks in advance!

woodside

I did my first time out west ride with two friends last January at Beaver Creek Lodge, Utah. It was a fantastic experience. So much that we are going back with our wives, my brother and two others. Just a month away and we are very excited. The lodge has it all www.beavercreeklodge.com And the service, sleds, etc and meals are all first class. New sleds, KLIM gear, etc. and meals that you will die for.

I would best describe the area as the Disney World of Snowmobiling. From the lodge, ride the well groomed trails, get off on the numerous adjacent meadows, basins and climb the small hills and slopes right next to the trails. Have your fun and back on the trails. Or go back country to areas that you would never find without a guide. We did that the first day and it was absolutely awesome.

We fly from MSP to Salt Lake City and then a three hour drive up to the lodge. For us it works great as none of us want to spend four days driving tagging along with trailers out and back. We think their rates are very reasonable and the airfare to SLC is very reasonable. We did ours for $272. Last year $228. Plus we don't have mountain sleds which is a must if you want to enjoy the area.

mrbb

maybe you could add WHAT type of riding you want to do, off trail, or ON trail
do you want challenging terrain, or do you want to just play here and there?
do you want conveniences of lots of places to stop and eat/drink
or you want more remote and less traffic??
you can always get better packaged deals in the bigger places , like west yellowstone and Island park, many places offer go deals on stay and rental packages, and these places cater to sledders really well,
alot of WHERE to go out west has to do with what experience your looking for if you ask me

the more populated places off free airport pick up, and can save you on a car rental too,

but the west is for sure a great place to go at least once, most times you go, you will want to go back, and have a better idea on what you want after that, then you can pick better
NOTHING beats the popular places for a first time trip I think, unless your really experienced and want the bigger challenges, they, there are better places for sure with a LOT less crowds

chicagosledder

Albany Wyoming is probably your closest but the snow is sketchy right now for off trail riding. If you go there stay in Laramie and drive to Albany. We are going to the Glen eden resort in Clark Colorado in 2 weeks. It is just north of Steamboat and the riding is great. You can go to Steamboat for dinner and nightlife or Hahns Peak right up the road. You can ride several places nearby in the Routt National Forest or go up to Rabbit Ears and ride there. They have good snow with the storm that just came through and they are supposed to get more this week. Once you go you will be hooked.

hudson056

Albany is a 15hr drive for us, if that truly is the closest place to ride, it sucks to think about it.... renting a sled while I own two makes my skin crawl hahaha

mrbb

Albany is a 15hr drive for us, if that truly is the closest place to ride, it sucks to think about it.... renting a sled while I own two makes my skin crawl hahaha
well renting a sled can make a difference in getting out there to ride or not for many, as like me its a 40 hr drive one way, and the costs of fuel alone out and back about covers the rental fee;s
and don;t have to put wear and tear on a personal sled(don;t have one right now but still)

and if your like me, you can fly out cheaper than driving, and NOT waste 2 days driving each way

so for many again iots a better deal to fly and rent, than drive and tow
all comes down to what you want and can swing I guess

but al the rentals I have had, have all been great so far, even broke a few and just got a new one on the spot!, NO down time

where had it been MY sled, I would have been waiting to get into a local dealer for repair and been siting while others rode. so that's also another reason a rental can make since, when far from home??

it sure sucks to have your own sled all set up as you like and be riding a rental, LOL
that's for sure, but when there is NO snow at home, and too far to tow to get to it, a plane ride and a rental can make a season IMO

Albany Wyoming is probably your closest but the snow is sketchy right now for off trail riding. If you go there stay in Laramie and drive to Albany. We are going to the Glen eden resort in Clark Colorado in 2 weeks. It is just north of Steamboat and the riding is great. You can go to Steamboat for dinner and nightlife or Hahns Peak right up the road. You can ride several places nearby in the Routt National Forest or go up to Rabbit Ears and ride there. They have good snow with the storm that just came through and they are supposed to get more this week. Once you go you will be hooked.

will be in Glen eden in 2 weeks as well. see you there!

ezra

well renting a sled can make a difference in getting out there to ride or not for many, as like me its a 40 hr drive one way, and the costs of fuel alone out and back about covers the rental fee;s
and don;t have to put wear and tear on a personal sled(don;t have one right now but still)
40hrs? whats up grandpa I have driven from NY to san fran in less time than that .
the other thing to think about is when U total a rental . I have been there when a guy in our crew did that one . it ended up cheaper for him to buy it haul it home and fix it

ezra

We will be at Albany too staying in the box car 26-jan 2

will be in the "hiker" cabin and look for a grey duramax with sled deck. we got a teenager too.

I think they put us in the North Star cabin.

any of u guys trailer to the sierra madre after the range gets wind blown and piss pounded ? it is a extra drive around but staying in ryan park gives u a pretty ez trailer over to the madre's and ez night drive to the hobo pools in Saratoga

justride

another option for you to check into is the blackhills. closer and short tracks do fine and if you stay in deadwood there are plenty of options for night life. we always stay at the deadwood gulch hotel located on south end of town and if there is a lot of snow the trail starts out front.if they don't have snow in town you trailer your sleds up the hill about 5 miles to a parking lot and unload there.

mrbb

40hrs? whats up grandpa I have driven from NY to san fran in less time than that .
the other thing to think about is when U total a rental . I have been there when a guy in our crew did that one . it ended up cheaper for him to buy it haul it home and fix it
well from NY to CA is like 2600+ miles, so NOT sure HOW Fast you drive , but NON stop , GO gas or food stops and you still close to 40 hrs
from my door to the place I stay in WY was just under 40 hrs
a lot of side roads, bad weather and traffic on the hi way at major city;s I cross thru

Ran from my place to Belfield ND a few dozen times, just under 2,000 miles and it runs me any where from 38-36 hrs, driving when possible at 75+ on cruise control, and run NON stop, minus fuel stops
SO< unless your driving a LOT faster than 75??
I think your MATH on time is off LOL
been driving across the usa back and forth for 25+ yrs
(and yes into CA several times)
so, I think my numbers are rather accurate for me and depending where others live at

NEXT as for totaling a sled
been with friends that did the same

they had to pay a $750.00 deductible when they totaled there rental

MY deductible on my personal sleds was $500.00
so, that means it would have cost me an extra 250 bucks IF I totaled a rental, which I have YET to do

so again, I am NOT sure where your math is coming from

the rental agreement forms SPELL all the details out, you can see them LONG before you decide to go, so you can DECIDE IF its worth it to you or not

but a rental can be a BIG time saver and a way to salvage a NO snow season where you live by traveling, and riding where GOOD snow is
NOT looking to start a feud here either
just giving honest info on travel times and rental info

there are always GOOD deals and BAD deals, when it comes to contracts, its the fine print you need to read before you sign
if you agree to HIGH crazy terms IF a crash happens, that's, well on you
I never had them issue's with all my rentals
I do my home work before I sign anything, and know what I am getting into
as I suggest all others do as well

ezra

We will be at Albany too staying in the box car 26-jan 2

will be in the "hiker" cabin and look for a grey duramax with sled deck. we got a teenager too.

I think they put us in the North Star cabin.
I have no prob rolling 90plus with out a trailer +85ish if dry with not much wind yanking .highway patrol gives me a talking to and poss a award every yr or so
my bud who totaled was under the assumption his insurance covered him so he never bought it. last time a bud rented a sled in WY it was a grand deductible not bad but still a chunk if u wreck.