Red Fox Inn Gwinn

ragex2

i have stayed at the Red Fox motel in years past but the last couple of times the place was getting to be in generally rough shape, crappy beds, uncontrollable heat, etc. we are planning a saddlebag trip through that area this year. does anyone know if they have done any updates recently??

T

Team Elkhorn

We haven't stayed at the Red Fox in a year or two, but it didn't seem to bad for the price. We always got the one and two bedrooms suites though.

edmarino

There is a small motel in town which is much better then the Red Fox, I don't remember the name right now , The price has always been good and it is very close to the gas station and a good breakfast place a block away. The trail runs right behind it.

tundra ron

I have stayed at the Red Fox Inn the last two yrs. The stay have been excellent warmest place I have ever stayed. the walls are about 12ins thick

440_chazz

I have stayed at the Red Fox Inn the last two yrs. The stay have been excellent warmest place I have ever stayed. the walls are about 12ins thick

Scalding hot water too. The beds are not the greatest but for the price and the groomed spur trail from Trail 8, you can't beat it.

toolmaker

Stayed there at the end of Dec. last year. Wasn't the worst place I've stayed. You get what you pay for. Walking to the bar next door was handy at the end of the day. The little bit of breakfast they offered got us going in the morning.

M

Mattarsc

closed

They just closed. The ease of access to everything there for Red Fox was awesome. That other motel you mention in Gwinn, somewhat near that BP station, that is closed and for sale too. There is though, Queens Cottages, or a place in Little Lake on Farmers Lake, not sure of the name. Otherwise In between Little Lake and Munising there are several Mom and Pop places. THE CLEANEST and most comfortable I think is JUST out side of Chatam.

Village Inn Motel
N5125 State Highway M94 , Chatham, MI 49816
(906) 439-5800 ()

Otherwise, down the road from the Buckhorn in hiawatha

http://www.munisingwebsites.com/timberridgelodge/

And there is always the big chains in Mqt. Easiest being Holiday Inn. And most expensive. ha ha!

Those mom and Pop places have garages and would put your sleds in there I am sure. Timber Ridge advertises it.

440_chazz

This is a shame. So there is nothing in Gwinn now. We loved going to Gwinn because it saved us time on the road and gave us more time on the trails.

ragex2

i emailed the Modeltowne Inn in town that usually is closed in winter in recent years. the owner said they will stay open this year due to RFI closing up.

M

Mattarsc

That would have been the place. RFI. Car rentals, outdoor supply, and a bunch of defunct businesses is all that is near airport. The Airforce didn't have any "Dorms" per say that close to airport. They were all located a little bit further away. The alert pad was the closest but that was on otherside of the runway.

T

Team Elkhorn

That would have been the place. RFI. Car rentals, outdoor supply, and a bunch of defunct businesses is all that is near airport. The Airforce didn't have any "Dorms" per say that close to airport. They were all located a little bit further away. The alert pad was the closest but that was on otherside of the runway.

Lol, my wife and I always stayed in the suites at the Red Fox, (we had the dogs), our friends and my son and his buddys would always stay in the main buildings that reminded us of "Dorms", so that's what we called them.:)
I hope they open again soon. Great place to base out of. Nice to have a restaurant on site. Plenty of parking too.

M

Mattarsc

Lol, my wife and I always stayed in the suites at the Red Fox, (we had the dogs), our friends and my son and his buddys would always stay in the main buildings that reminded us of "Dorms", so that's what we called them.:)
I hope they open again soon. Great place to base out of. Nice to have a restaurant on site. Plenty of parking too.

I know the people personally that closed it. I don't know the situation behind closing but it is a shame. We use to send alot of people that direction because it was WAY convienent. Bar, food, room, tons of parking. And trail access was one hop over the snowbank. :) Too bad.

mride460

I know the people personally that closed it. I don't know the situation behind closing but it is a shame. We use to send alot of people that direction because it was WAY convienent. Bar, food, room, tons of parking. And trail access was one hop over the snowbank. :) Too bad.

It is a shame. The problem behind them closing was simple math. X amount of $$ needed to be made to stay open each month. Snowmo season was always good to them but the last two winters not enough to carry through.
We always stayed there snowmobiling prior to moving to Negaunee and it sucks to see them closing.

cooksend

Thats kind of funny cause our crew was planning on taking the dirt bikes that direction this weekend. Think that they actually had reservations for Saturday night. Hope they didn't leave a deposit!

scottd

Stinks to hear. Our family camp is near there and we used to stop there for lunch quite a bit when riding. The food was always good.

bababoo

We were riding from Kemosabe cabins in Wetmore to Red Fox the past couple of years. Now both are closed due the past couple of marginal winters.