Refrigerators

heckler56

Like tv’s & AC’s, there are only a couple manufacturers. All the brands are owned and produced by a few mfr’s overseas. GE was bought out about 10 years ago.

hybrid

do not forget to keep the coil clean in the back
dust and pet hair can clog it up and cause excessive heat
makes ice form on the inside and makes the ridge run more reducing its life drastically

Last edited:

600_RMK_144

didn't read all the other comments, but from what I've learned is make sure whatever you get has local repair shops for that particular brand. LG and Samsung are notorious for NOT having authorized repair shops. So they become a very expensive paperweight at that point.... you (basically) throw it away and get a new one. Same for washers & dryers.

chunk06

Stay far away from Samsung and LG.... also stay away from anything where the ice maker container is in the door. After years of crap washers and dryers I bit the bullet last year and bought Speed queens. When the time comes to buy a new fridge I will be doing research on a higher end brand.

dfattack

You get what you pay for. Once you establish your budget then do research and choose the most reliable brand within your budget. I use speed queen washers and dryers too. Had one issue that was taken care of and overall have been happy. I still buy top load washers from them

dfattack

Ok Indy. I was texting with a friend of mine I’ve known since high school. He works at ABT appliance and sells these appliances. I asked him what is the most reliable brand other than sub zero and he said “none”. Then I asked him if you had to pick one he said LG. He has one and hasn’t had one problem with it. I have an LG too for 10 years and not one problem. He said parts aren’t difficult for LG BUT whirlpool, kitchenaide and GE have been more difficult to get. I know this contradicts other posts here but wanted to share what I have heard from someone who sells a lot of them.

indy_500

Ok Indy. I was texting with a friend of mine I’ve known since high school. He works at ABT appliance and sells these appliances. I asked him what is the most reliable brand other than sub zero and he said “none”. Then I asked him if you had to pick one he said LG. He has one and hasn’t had one problem with it. I have an LG too for 10 years and not one problem. He said parts aren’t difficult for LG BUT whirlpool, kitchenaide and GE have been more difficult to get. I know this contradicts other posts here but wanted to share what I have heard from someone who sells a lot of them.
Thanks for that! I’m torn between LG and Frigidaire currently

dfattack

Ok Indy. I just was texting with a friend of mine I’ve known since high school. He works at ABT appliance and sells these appliances. I asked him what is the most reliable brand other than sub zero and he said “none”. Then I asked him if you had to pick one he said LG. He has one and hasn’t had one problem with it. I have an LG too for 10 years and not one problem. He said parts aren’t difficult for LG BUT whirlpool, kitchenaide and GE have been more difficult to get. I know this contradicts other posts here but wanted to share what I have heard from someone who sells a lot of them.

rp7x

we have fisher paykel , it has fridge up top with two doors and freezer on bottom with two doors ,the freezer has pull out drawers, has nice fit and finish

whitedust

we have fisher paykel , it has fridge up top with two doors and freezer on bottom with two doors ,the freezer has pull out drawers, has nice fit and finish
I like fisher paykel had them for a washer and dryer. I’m in another house now and couldn’t find fisher paykel anywhere. So as far as big box stores here I probably would buy a LG have and like their TVs too.

eagle1

I'll be doing the opposite....looking for cheapest , most analog , least feature single door fridge out there.😆. I don't need it to talk to me or make my grocery list and yes I make my ice old fashioned way ....."by hand"!😳😁😆

old abe

Stay far away from Samsung and LG.... also stay away from anything where the ice maker container is in the door. After years of crap washers and dryers I bit the bullet last year and bought Speed queens. When the time comes to buy a new fridge I will be doing research on a higher end brand.
Yep, X2 on the Speed Queen appliances! By far better than the newer Maytags.

favoritos

Try to stay with simple.

I know it's tempting to go with all the doo dads and glitz. In the long run, the fancy electronics have failure rates similar to the compressor setup. Less parts will help improve your odds. Split doors have another set of hinges and even fancier gasket, closure assemblies.

I bet you would be surprised with a simple survey to see how many have had problems with their through the door ice maker dispenser models.
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying the fancy versions. We all have our desires. I also have a lot of fridge freezers. I have not seen the $5k versions outlast the $849.00 simple models.

chunk06

I'll be doing the opposite....looking for cheapest , most analog , least feature single door fridge out there.😆. I don't need it to talk to me or make my grocery list and yes I make my ice old fashioned way ....."by hand"!😳😁😆
this is probably the way to go. I still have my budget fridge from 2004 that was moved to garage use around 2010 that is still going. We are now on our 4th "nice fridge" and have had nothing but problems.The worst was Samsung. We are now having issues on a Whirlpool that was bought in 2022 that stops making Ice when It wants too. Problem is that Kitchens have turned into a showcase instead of the workshop they should be. Every time cabinets go up on a job I think about the fact that you can buy several nice higher end mechanic boxes and use them for a kitchen for less money, and have re sale value when you are sick of them :ROFLMAO: my better half would never go for it though

pclark

When we bought our place up here in MW, it came with a Whirlpool, freezer on top, it’s got to be old but runs great (probably just jinxed myself) older side by side GE in the basement, was in our garage when we lived down south, good to go and old as well. We bought a bunch of brand new Samsung appliances that we left with the house when we sold it. My wife loved them, freezer on the bottom, crisping drawer, etc. she really liked the washer/dryer from Samsung. I just try to do my homework and get a decent price, hard to do these days with FJB!