Removing exhaust springs

polarisdude

Needle nose plyers usually work and I'll have to look into that hook cause I've deffinately gotten the bloody knuckles before.

scheia50

I'm not sure but I don't think we have a Harbor Freight here in SE WI. Is this like a Fleet Farm or just a hardware store or like a Fastenal? Just curious.

dmsrx

Give the spring trick a try. Most two strokes already have them on holding the silencer or pipe so you always have one with you. They dont dig up the spring you are taking off like pliers or vice grips and making a spot for it to break. It also works like a sno bungy and takes less pull to hook or unhook the spring, and since it can't slip off because of the hooks you won't cut up you're hands. I've tried all the other methods and this is by far the easiest way IMHO.

I'm not sure but I don't think we have a Harbor Freight here in SE WI. Is this like a Fleet Farm or just a hardware store or like a Fastenal? Just curious.

i think there is one near franklin wi or south milwaukee
here it is
4698 South Whitnall Ave, St. Francis, WI - (414) 744-0955

indyxcr

Get the tool made for removing springs, only $10.00 it will last forever. It will save your hand when your lock pliers slip and the spring goes in your hand.

The springs on my sled are extremely strong.

ridehard

double up your springs

Another good trick is to put 2 springs on one loop instead of just one. That way if one breaks off you still have one holding. It also doubles the holding strength. I have good luck installing them with a visegrip also.

lvr1000

I know I've seen them at auto parts stores for about $10.00. They call them Headlight adjuster & brake spring hook,

rws

Took an old screwdriver and made my own spring tool...

ACSpringTool.jpg