Replace Track on 2008 polaris dragon 700?

snowshark94

Does anyone know if I need to pull off the chain case cover of the dragon to pull out the drive shaft for track replacement? I read some forums that say I can pull out the shaft from the clutch side and it will just pull out from the back with no need to remove the chain case cover at all.

I am planning on replacing it on Saturday, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

jamiedesmet

Mike,

I have pulled out my track a couple of times and you will need to remove the chain cover. The cross shaft that drives the track is bolted to the lower sprocket and you won't get it out without pulling that bolt out. Here is a pretty decent youtube video I found describing how to remove. Also when you go to remove the suspension roll the sled on it's side on a rug or chunk of old carpet. There is no easier way to remove and re-install the skid (IMO).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlQo84CYt_0

ezra

or if u have the rear hung in the air.
when springs loaded.
bolt in front arm first.
then I take cordless impact or drill and start to tighten rear wheels .that will collapse rear arm and u can lower sled to line up bolts.
a quick hit to tighten or loose with the impact on rear wheels will move arm just a tad for fine adjust . very ez to do by your self this way

Hoosier

Mike,

I have pulled out my track a couple of times and you will need to remove the chain cover. The cross shaft that drives the track is bolted to the lower sprocket and you won't get it out without pulling that bolt out. Here is a pretty decent youtube video I found describing how to remove. Also when you go to remove the suspension roll the sled on it's side on a rug or chunk of old carpet. There is no easier way to remove and re-install the skid (IMO).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlQo84CYt_0

I'm going to try to put the sled on its side next time - it always seems to be much harder than it should be for me to get the skid in and out.