Restoring faded Plastic parts

kirk600

I know a few guys and gals on here have some tips and tricks they have tried. I have hasd good luck painting items, and I know some have not. I know Bradzoo likes the heat gun method, to bring back colors as well. I just recently heard about using boiled linseed oil, and the guy sent me a picture. I don't have the before shot though, but it looks like a great option for those who can't find a nice replacement.
Lets hear some more ideas on what you have tried, and tell us if it was worth it or not.

Here is a tank with the Linseed oil treatment

kirk600

Well good news folks, I asked the guy who told me about the linseed oil, if he had any before shots of the tank in the picture above. Here is what he sent me......

sweeperguy

Do you just clean the tank, then apply the linseed oil, maybe let sit for a day or two. Then wipe off the excess?

ezra

have to try that one out.I use heat on rubber and always try on plastic it is a 50/50 on plastic for me but 80% on hard rubber

Woodtic

The "as seen on TV" product called Wipe New works wonders and lasts. I picked it up at The Man Mall.

kirk600

Sweeperguy and Catman,
Sorry I didn't see your questions sooner. I have not tried the linseed oil trick, but a vintage guy I bought some parts from told me about this, and sent me the pictures. I will email him, inquire on the procedure, and post up answers as soon as I get them. He told me he has been doing it for years

kirk600

Hi again,
I did receive a response about using the linseed oil on faded parts. The method that produced the results above, are simple.
Clean the parts so they are free of grease and oil, then just use a rag to apply linseed oil and your done. You could use a brush, and try to remove the excesss, but the damp rag method works well. Just make sure parts are thoroughly cleaned before or you may get different shades.