Ride Experience of a Side by Side

frosty

Looking for some input from you guys who have side by sides. Is it what you thought it would be? Is it better than you thought? Was a waste of money? Would you do it again? Does the thrill compare to sledding? Just putting some feelers out there, I'm thinking real hard about one, but never riden in one, yet. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

srt20

Looking for some input from you guys who have side by sides. Is it what you thought it would be? Is it better than you thought? Was a waste of money? Would you do it again? Does the thrill compare to sledding? Just putting some feelers out there, I'm thinking real hard about one, but never riden in one, yet. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have been a sledder and atv'er for about 20 years. I totally loved atving. I figured I would always have an atv. Having said that, Im ditching all but 1 of my atvs. From now on it will be only sxs. (till something better comes along anyway) SxS IMO are way more fun than atvs. Less tiring, better ride, better handling, just more fun.

In the last 5 years all I have owned have been 4x4 quads(Sportsman, etc). Before that it was sport quads,(quadracers, predators,etc). Obviously, a sport quad will out corner any big 4x4 or SxS anyday, but the ride is way more plush on the SXS and 4x4s. The SXS out corner every 4x4 Ive ever ridden.

If you're a young guy and need the power of a 450R sport racer quad, you will be dissapointed with a SxS. But if a 500-800 4x4 hp is good for you, a SxS is about the same. The best thing you can do is ride one BEFORE you buy. They have demo rides all over in northern WI all summer. Off the top of my head, ERV's sports in Tomahawk is having one at Fischer's bar in Parrish on JUNE 23, IIRC. I think they only have Poo stuff. Antigo Yamaha is pretty cool and carry Can Am Yamaha and Polaris. IDK if they will let you take it out to the trail, but they have a big yard to drive around on. They might rent them there. I know they have demo units, because I went on a ride with the owners kid last year and he was driving their CAN AM demo SxS.

SXS are an absolute blast to drive and even ride b!tch in. BUT the adrenaline rush from a SxS is NOT as intense as a sled. Sleds are just way more hp/weight ratio.

I havent driven a Rhino, Ranger, or any of the big working SxS. Ive only driven the sport models. (RZR etc.) Not many people drive Rhinos and Rangers on the trails in NE WI. Only see RZR and a few Can Am commanders. Unless you just putz along, (20mph or less) I would look more towards the sport models. RZR, Commander, Wildcat.

cuzzinolaf

I like the idea of a side by side but the sitting in water thing doesn't sound fun. It is nice to be able to stand and not get my butt wet when going through deep water. At half the price it was a no brainer for me for my first ATV. I might eventually get a side by side but the atv is just as fun IMO.

I've been an addict of sleds my whole life and know the adrenaline rush you speak of. I've also owned dirt bikes, jet ski's, quads and now a SxS.

The only thing that would come close to a sled is a dirt bike IMO, the power to weight is on par with sleds. Sport quads I would guess are much the same but having not really ridden one in 20 years I can't say.

I just sold a Honda Foreman 500 utility quad to buy a Polaris Ranger 800. If you enjoy cruising around in the woods and making working around the yard easier you'll like the Ranger. If you want to rail some dunes you'll want a RZR or equivalent, whatever you do buy H.P., the higher cc will always be more fun :)

Ultimately, if you want the adrenaline rush go with a dirt bike or sport quad.

I've owned (2) Dirt Bikes (1) Sport quad (3) Utility quads (1) Jet Ski (1) SxS and (11) Sleds and if it weren't for my age and current family I would have another bike in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

frosty

Thanks guys, that was exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I've had quads, but felt okay that was fun for the hour, now what? With sleds, you can darn go anywhere and never run out of options, but now my girls are almost grown and want nothing to do with me or the wife, I was trying to fnd something that she might like. To me anything with a motor is always going to fun, just how long! I think a demo ride would give me a taste, but renting might be the better option. I just to find a place that rents both a RZR and WILDCAT. Thats the direction I want to go, fast and smooth.

Any more comments or opions, please, I want to hear them, good, bad, or just want to rant. Big investment, I want all the feedback I can get.

I am a 25+ year sleder and will always be, we bought a place in the Keweenaw and found out out how much fun the summers are. we have a RZR4 & comander xt100 we are in the same boat with kids grown up. my wife & I love taking the comander out on the trails and back roads of the keweenaw she calls it my little red convertible. LOADs of fun

lukester

I/we ATV a lot in the Tomahawk/Harrison Wisc area. We ride 600 & 700 sportsman's And a 800X2. Had loads of fun.
All ATV s are set up for two to ride. And as of the last year the kids are not up as often. So we have been toying with the side by side thing. However the wife said "Your not going to like riding bitch!! LOL" and I had to agree. Riding in back is nothing like driving. WELL??
A couple weeks ago Erv's sales (Tomahawk) gave me a 800 RZR to use for the day.

All I can say is WE HAD A GAS !!!
Its as different from ATVing as snowmobiling is from ATVing. We put on almost double the mileage that we normally do and although we were covered in dust/mud we were not at all tired. And while I was "riding bitch" the wife had the RZR in the air more often then Ive ever seen on her do on her ATV. She says its like going nuts in the woods with a car! And I agree they are fun!

At this point only 2 things stand in the way of me pulling the trigger on one
#1 they are a little pricey. The 800 is fun. But I know ill have to go with a 900. And they aint cheep LOL
#2 When its just the 2 of us and we are WAY BACK THERE its just more reassuring to know you have 2 units with 2 winches.

Honestly, after riding one I'm pretty sure one will be parked in my pole-barn in the very near future.

srt20

I/we ATV a lot in the Tomahawk/Harrison Wisc area. We ride 600 & 700 sportsman's And a 800X2. Had loads of fun.
All ATV s are set up for two to ride. And as of the last year the kids are not up as often. So we have been toying with the side by side thing. However the wife said "Your not going to like riding bitch!! LOL" and I had to agree. Riding in back is nothing like driving. WELL??
A couple weeks ago Erv's sales (Tomahawk) gave me a 800 RZR to use for the day.

All I can say is WE HAD A GAS !!!
Its as different from ATVing as snowmobiling is from ATVing. We put on almost double the mileage that we normally do and although we were covered in dust/mud we were not at all tired. And while I was "riding bitch" the wife had the RZR in the air more often then Ive ever seen on her do on her ATV. She says its like going nuts in the woods with a car! And I agree they are fun!

At this point only 2 things stand in the way of me pulling the trigger on one
#1 they are a little pricey. The 800 is fun. But I know ill have to go with a 900. And they aint cheep LOL
#2 When its just the 2 of us and we are WAY BACK THERE its just more reassuring to know you have 2 units with 2 winches.

Honestly, after riding one I'm pretty sure one will be parked in my pole-barn in the very near future.

Harrison Hills is an awesome place to ride at! I was just there last weekend. Had excellent food at Nut-Zee's.

lukester

Harrison Hills is an awesome place to ride at! I was just there last weekend. Had excellent food at Nut-Zee's.

X2 Great trails & Great food at NUT-ZEEs (our favorite stop) Don and Deb (owners) = nicest folks you will ever meet.

frosty

Lukester, that was great, now I need to print this thread and some how sneek it into my wifes every day reading. Subliminial messaging.

That is one of my biggest obstacles right now is price, its a couple thousand more than a new sled.

scott_b

My wife is not into any of the off road toys, ATV's, snowmobiles, etc don't excite her. That changed last year when we were at the Gogebic county fair and Polaris had the Ranger 500 Crew on display. She sees the option of going exploring with the kids in tow and not having to navigate a 4 wheeler with a child on board. I like the idea of replacing the Gator with something quick enough to take me places and still having the ability to use it for hauling "stuff". The only reason there is not one in the garage is our youngest is only 15 month, need her to be a little older to enjoy the ride....

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
No atv/sxs is as fun as sledding, never will be.

That being said, I have owned atv's, and 2 years ago my Poo dealer let me borrow an RZR for our week trip in da yoop. They both have their place, but the RZR was a hoot! My wife and my buddy's wife rode in the RZR, and you have never seen/heard two girls laughing their butts off like those two were. I also really enjoyed it. Last year another buddy let me borrow his Ranger 400 for the week, and I really liked that also. The most fun I had in it was when my buddy and I would throw the cooler in the back, and do a little exploring, just cruising a long, shooting the sheeeot, taking everything in. My wife likes the side by sides because it is like driving the car.

Rent/borrow one before you buy, it's a lot of money to spend to not end up liking it.

Summer vacation 2010 050 (Large).jpg

frosty

Hey Skylar, were you riding around your place or up north? I have my property right there in Easton, wondering if exploring can be done around there?

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Skylar, were you riding around your place or up north? I have my property right there in Easton, wondering if exploring can be done around there?

Up north. No riding here at home. No atv trails over by your land neither. :-(

lukester

Update

Well after riding a RZR800 I traded in /sold both my sportsmans. 600 & 800x2
After homework/research/test drive I went with a RZR
The wife wanted the 800 So as usual I got the RZRXP 900. No such thing as to much power!
Got the limited edition White Lightning Painted. Looks pretty cool!
Cant wait to pick her up.
PS anyone looking for a near perfect condition sprtsmn 800X2 with the limited edition candy apple red paint aluminum rims/all options 1000 miles Ervs sales in Tomahawk has one for sale.

Nice Congrats!!!

Let me know when you need some accessories, I'd be happy to help you out. I'm lovin my Ranger XP 800!!!

6-2-129.jpg

lukester

Thanks Looking forwad to hitting the trails/woods
I see your from Traverse City. Beautiful area. In our boating days we stoped there often.
Our daughter/son in law ended up buying a home on the south end of Northport. Very nice area

Thanks Looking forwad to hitting the trails/woods
I see your from Traverse City. Beautiful area. In our boating days we stoped there often.
Our daughter/son in law ended up buying a home on the south end of Northport. Very nice area

Yes, we moved here a year ago and really enjoy it.

lukester

Yes, we moved here a year ago and really enjoy it.

As you can see I'm from Wis. We are renting a house late July on the east shore of the peninsula just north of Leland So we can spend some time with the grandsons/Daughter Etc.
Considering bringing the RZR??? Are there any established trails in that area or maybe over towards Petoski?
Id LOVE to try this thing out on some dunes!