Ride Light

snoden

After 30 years of hand signals my group decided to use ride lights this season. Seeing how these have been out for a number of years we felt most would know what they are. We just spent a week UP North and were amazed at the number of people who have no clue to what they are. After having way to many close calls over these past 30 years I wont be going back to hand signals as I felt way more comfortable having both hands on my bars while watching some trying to signal in a corner...scary at best. So do most here know what ride lights are?

whitedust

Yes been around 10 years plus and I thought it would be big but never caught on. Asked my buds and no one was interested so I retired the idea. It’s better to keep hands on the bars no doubt about that but light or hand signal you have the same result you can’t proceed thinking all is clear because drag rider has no idea what’s following him. If you don’t feel safe hand signaling don’t do it.

snoden

What oil are you using....

Why do you ask??? Looking to race for pink slips Matt? OK I'll tell...I run Mobile 1 full synthetic 5w 30. My multi tuned sidewinder really likes it when topping 127 on the GPS. Feeling lucky???

Now back to ride lights....thanks for playing.

buddah2

I had them on both sleds when they first came out...this was around 2006 or so...back then they were junk...both heads failed within 1 season so I threw them straight into the shipcan...nice idea but they never really caught on...I do understand a lot more people use them "out East" but that may be just a rumor

Edit: I would have maybe kept them but once they failed the company wanted me to pay for the replacement display head...about 1/2 the total cost...so shipcan it was ;)

Last edited:

slimcake

Why do you ask??? Looking to race for pink slips Matt? OK I'll tell...I run Mobile 1 full synthetic 5w 30. My multi tuned sidewinder really likes it when topping 127 on the GPS. Feeling lucky???

Now back to ride lights....thanks for playing.

Geez a bit touchy eh? I will race you for slips from my back door to little maimi in freeburg. Your arms will be shot 1/4 mile from my house. Straight line ain't riding... I agree with the rest of the group ya don't need gimmicks to stay safe....

1fujifilm

Geez a bit touchy eh? I will race you for slips from my back door to little maimi in freeburg. Your arms will be shot 1/4 mile from my house. Straight line ain't riding... I agree with the rest of the group ya don't need gimmicks to stay safe....

I already have a headlight, if you see it in your rear view mirror your about to get passed.

Bear

goofy600

What ever happen to if you don’t have something good to say don’t say anything at all? The person asked a question that’s all. As to the OP some do so don’t have a clue what they are, some use hand signals some don’t biggest think ride safe and if you can’t change how you ride until you can. And watch out for people that can’t or don’t ride safe.

slimcake

I tried to inject some humor and got called out. What do you expect from this guy? I'm going riding now. My 850 is gonna get close to 40 mph on gps.... Spinning Polaris extreme oil!!!! Have a good day all!!

ragex2

I know what they are. i thought they were a good idea but price was a bit higher than most would spend on such a safety, rather than performance accessory and as whitedust stated groups still run together so green doesn't really mean 'Go' for oncoming traffic. Maybe more useful in less busy areas. But i'd buy them if they became widely used and recognized

whitedust

Idk with this thread responses I have to wonder was Ride Lite bad marketing or people just don’t want it and don’t think it’s worth the money?

goofy600

Idk with this thread responses I have to wonder was Ride Lite bad marketing or people just don’t want it and don’t think it’s worth the money?

My thought was always if it’s a good idea why couldn’t the manufacturer just install as part of the sled. Can’t cost more that $3-5 cost for manufacture, but just never got the traction for it to work.

whitedust

My thought was always if it’s a good idea why couldn’t the manufacturer just install as part of the sled. Can’t cost more that $3-5 cost for manufacture, but just never got the traction for it to work.

Yes OEMs could add a ride light easy enough but they didn’t embrace it either. I wouldn’t think ride lite patent is holding this back I’m thinking the consumer doesn’t care. Surprising to me I thought Ride Lite would be a big seller nationwide.

buddah2

One comment on this...having worked for a major auto manufacturer I can tell you from experience purchasing departments struggle to save pennies per unit in production costs...anything this frivolous that adds dollars, regardless how few, would be rejected out of hand unless there was demonstrable benefit to the consumer and then only after tremendous vetting process