Ride Light

goofy600

One comment on this...having worked for a major auto manufacturer I can tell you from experience purchasing departments struggle to save pennies per unit in production costs...anything this frivolous that adds dollars, regardless how few, would be rejected out of hand unless there was demonstrable benefit to the consumer and then only after tremendous vetting process

Agree and understand completely. If snowmobiling were a bigger market it would be one of those things that government could require kind of like the tire air sensors in new vehicles. It was just my thoughts that would be the easiest way to get it to work we only have 3 1/2 manufacturers so if they could work together would be the only way it would ever get traction, but yes it’s all about the bottom dollar.

scott_l

never heard of them until now......... I usually don't have many concerns when riding with the "guys" (or experienced group of riders). But once in awhile I still get that odd feeling in my gut when riding with just my wife and kids (is that next person going come around the corner on our side, fly up behind my wife (she brings up the rear when riding with the family) and frighten her or be an *** as they cant wait 5 minutes till I see them and signal for them to pass us) and that's kind of sad when I think about it as riding with the family is how this sport got started and riding with the family is what keeps me involved with the sport.

I tried to inject some humor and got called out. What do you expect from this guy? I'm going riding now. My 850 is gonna get close to 40 mph on gps.... Spinning Polaris extreme oil!!!! Have a good day all!!

You didn't ask the right question, what kind of goggles is everyone wearing?

jedoyle

I do know what they are but can honestly say I have never seen a group of sleds with them while riding the UP. Out of respect I always hand signal back at people who do it first but honestly I just don't see the purpose. Half the time you have a group of sleds in front of you where the last sled is signaling they are the end & they aren't because we are right behind them.

heckler56

I also thought back in the day they might get mandated but it never did. Also heard the original units were junk and at $80 a piece it wasn’t worth it.
So in the last several years I am no longer hand signaling and noticing many flip me off for not signaling. Oh well. As I bring new friends into the sport I tell them to never signal and ride on the right.
It more than amazes me people signaling at night.
I don’t wear goggles and the oil I use comes in a plastic container.

latner

The wife and I have them since we both prefer to keep our hands on the bars, have passed alot of people who probably should be keeping both hands on the bars also.

heckler56

I am resurrecting this debate. Last week up in the UP there was no lack of groups out riding (Except the subzero days). We “expected” people at every corner. What scared me were seeing lots and lots of rental sleds with unit numbers from 1-100. Let that sink in. At one place they could launch 100 unseasoned riders out there! Many of these people will want to blend in to “do this hand signal” thing.

Our lead sled has given up signaling. Even though I was w/in easy sight of the passing riders I could see people angrily shaking for me to acknowledge I was the end of our group. What was further worrisome were those giving hand signals at dusk and night(?). So my headlight isn’t bright enough to see me, yikes.

Now that my “lead” sled is going to be bringing his grandkids into the sport he agreed, were getting the RideLites or the cheaper ones from Barn of Parts (distributor for the YamaHeater guy who builds these).

We are all passionate here for the sport. Why not try to take this hand signaling off the plate as a risk factor? Now I will grab some popcorn and watch the comments go wild!

snoden

heckler this is my groups 3rd season with ride Lites. I will say we have been seeing more people with ride Lites each year, but most have no clue what they are. Be prepared to be flipped off, arms thrown in the air and whatever else from riders. I do wish the whole sled countdown thing would just go away as it's useless on a rail grade...I can see all your buddies behind you. In the twisties I would prefer you keep your sled in control, see way too many trying to hand signal while they are sideways on the trail. So just do what you're comfortable with and live with it. We've settled on just doing our thing our way and not worry about what others think.

latner

I am resurrecting this debate. Last week up in the UP there was no lack of groups out riding (Except the subzero days). We “expected” people at every corner. What scared me were seeing lots and lots of rental sleds with unit numbers from 1-100. Let that sink in. At one place they could launch 100 unseasoned riders out there! Many of these people will want to blend in to “do this hand signal” thing.

Our lead sled has given up signaling. Even though I was w/in easy sight of the passing riders I could see people angrily shaking for me to acknowledge I was the end of our group. What was further worrisome were those giving hand signals at dusk and night(?). So my headlight isn’t bright enough to see me, yikes.

Now that my “lead” sled is going to be bringing his grandkids into the sport he agreed, were getting the RideLites or the cheaper ones from Barn of Parts (distributor for the YamaHeater guy who builds these).

We are all passionate here for the sport. Why not try to take this hand signaling off the plate as a risk factor? Now I will grab some popcorn and watch the comments go wild!
I agree. The one thing I saw alot of last week were the people who feel the need to go as fast as they can thru tight, twisties and sliding over to the center of the corner. We ride right and will slow in a corner to maintain right, there were a number of times that if we don't stay way right then ski's are locking up.

snobuilder

You all knuckled under to wearing masks and getting risky vaccines. Why not threaten ppl with their livelihoods if they refuse the ride lights?
I think an equal amount of lives could be saved.

pclark

In all my years I have never noticed anyone with these ridelights, but, haven't really been looking for them either. I think it's a good product but I don't think too many people have invested in them.

mezz

If these lights were standard equipment years ago, their meaning might, & I say might, have some validity. Despite the lights, or the hand signals, nobody can determine how many additional riders there are behind any one given group who are using either method. The best thing any rider can & should do is keep eyes ahead & keep both your hands on the bars, cause you can never be too cautious. Just my .02....

whitedust

I haven’t changed my opinion on the subject if the market was there ride lites would have succeeded by now and I thought they were a good idea. Unfortunately the rest of the market could care less especially my group so no sense for me to purchase. I hand signal as a courtesy when it’s safe to do so mostly in Twistys and leading never after dark. Buy a ride light or don’t, signal or don’t it really isn’t important to me the ride goes on in any event.

2TrakR

Encountered a group with them last month when running the groomer. They were out of order (sequence). Gave me a good chuckle.

snomoman

Going just a little off topic but the thread reminded me of a product many years ago that I saw on a snowmobile, it was a type of radar device that signaled if a snowmobile was coming towards you whether you could see it or not, anybody ever see or hear of this?