Ridin' the Cold Out

skiroule

"Cold enuf for ya?” has replaced all other forms of street greeting around here. -31 with -58 wind chill this morning and dropping over the next day or so. Hit the Rainy River to do a little tuning/testing on the 340 and man, do those free airs love these conditions. She was flyin’ today. Hand warmers would have been welcome but thank goodness for a windshield.

IMG_0796%255B1%255D.JPG

Sounds like even Chicago is going to get pounded over the next couple days. Anyone riding? Any memories of really cold rides out there?

xcr440

That's a windshield?? LOL - I was up there last year when it was -28 and -30 a couple mornings, but the wind wasn't blowing much at all.

1fujifilm

"Cold enuf for ya?” has replaced all other forms of street greeting around here. -31 with -58 wind chill this morning and dropping over the next day or so. Hit the Rainy River to do a little tuning/testing on the 340 and man, do those free airs love these conditions. She was flyin’ today. Hand warmers would have been welcome but thank goodness for a windshield.

Sounds like even Chicago is going to get pounded over the next couple days. Anyone riding? Any memories of really cold rides out there?

Nice rig, free air baby!

Bear

old abe

IMG_0796%255B1%255D.JPG

The last few days have brought back very frigid, and dangerous memories of Cross Country snowmobile racing in the mid seventies. Ski masks, duct tape, and whatever we could think of to help lessen the frost bite. Those ditches, and the terrain were rough. Snow frozen hard as a rock, and being beat up with leaf springs up front! But it was a rush!

woodside

Back in the late 60's and early 70's we would ride in the extreme cold. Outerwear and other gear was nothing like we have today. Never had any serious issues but the stops at the closest bar was always our next destination.

I would take off my gloves and put my hands next to the metal fins on top of the hot air cooled engine. Kept my hands from freezing. It wasn't about how many miles you rode, but doing what was necessary to stay warm.

Not anymore as I have become a fair weather rider, -10 or warmer, at the age of 73.

rtrypwr

We've had our share of cold weekends during our trips in recent years. One weekend probably 8 years ago riding out of Mercer we had a large group. Temps were in the -20 range plus the windchill and added cold from riding. We had two guys with shield issues and ended up with minor frostbite just riding across the flowage. couple that with a triple that kept fouling plugs it was a a long weekend. Ended up warming above zero but we'll never forget that weekend. Nothing beats a wood stove in the cabin keeping the temps above 70 all night!

3 years ago riding out of Phelps we made it to Watersmeet and only road about 80 miles for the day. Temps in the negative double digits did in one of the guys goggles and couldn't catch a break from them not frosting up on him. He bought a third pair in Watersmeet that allowed him to see fairly clear the way back, but definitely ideal conditions.

Gear these days makes things so much better if you are dressed properly, have 2nds or 3rds of some items - baklava, goggles (maybe 4 pairs), gloves...be prepared for the worst and you'll be able to still enjoy a ride on the super cold days.

1fujifilm

Yeah I'll pass at that temp!
Nice sled by the way.

Got my new sled today and had to ride out of Green Bay as they finally opened the trails today also, anyway have a new frostbite spot on my face.
6 below, 20 MPH winds, fogged up glasses and rode with the facemask cracked.

Bear

harvest1121

Got my new sled today and had to ride out of Green Bay as they finally opened the trails today also, anyway have a new frostbite spot on my face.

Bear

See you should of bought that Ski Doo Oxygen Helmet everything would of worked and only $599.99

buddah2

Not anymore as I have become a fair weather rider, -10 or warmer, at the age of 73.

We're same age but I must be a sissy....I'll continue if I get caught out at that temp but I like to wait for positive numbers before starting out...

- - - Updated - - -

Bear

Reminds me of a ride several yrs ago....dropped to -10 while we were out and my electric shield on modular helmet decided to give up the ghost only 100 or so miles from home...2 heavy balaclavas and shield cracked just enough to see to navigate and I managed to get home without a visit from Mr Frostbite..

1fujifilm

See you should of bought that Ski Doo Oxygen Helmet everything would of worked and only $599.99

Yeah, a real bargain; those crazy Canadiens (Canadians).
I would have been fine if my glasses didn't fog.
Tonight, going out again but trying my contact lenses. If that doesn't work, a trip to Ken's in Little Chute will be in order to scope helmets.
I should have bought a spare helmet during Black Friday week; Ken's had HJC CL Max's with E-shields for $119.

Bear

old abe

Bear

Say fuji, hows it feel to be back on a Doo compared to the Poo? You didn't give many reports on the Poo as I thought you would? There must be a reason on that?

1fujifilm

Say fuji, hows it feel to be back on a Doo compared to the Poo? You didn't give many reports on the Poo as I thought you would? There must be a reason on that?

Hi Abe,

Trying to keep the Administrators happy. And, felt a little unfair comparing the 19 850 Doo to the 18 800 Poo as Poo now has a 19 850 too (haven't ridden that yet). I can tell you that my Dealer who sells Poo and Doo says buyers of the 19 850 Poo from him are very happy with them as power is great and the non-beavertail suspension is also well-liked.

I can tell you this; after riding the 18 Poo 800 Pro-S 120" for 850 miles this year and hopping on the 19 850 Gade four things were immediately noticeable;
-The Doo has no "carboned-up" feeling at take-off like the 800 Poo does, just smooth power build.
-The Doo P-drive clutch engages like butter and "almost" feels like a car automatic.
-I did not like looking at the Beaver-tail on the Poo, I can't believe they offer that as an option on the new 850; they should have completely did away with that at the 850 Poo launch. It's gonna go soon anyway, why screw owners with additional depreciation? Dumb. Additionally, seeing the exposed water hoses on the beavertail was a turn-off, by the way the hoses rub on the bodywork and leave a "rubbed" look which is sad to see.
-The Doo in G-4 chassis is a beautiful machine to look at, the Poo not so much; Poo really should have redesigned the aesthetics to go with the motor redo. That hood reminded me of Darth-Vader for some reason, too retro for me.

Did I like the 18 800 Poo, yes. It was nimble as heck with the 120 track, the motor was a rocket and the manual start was a non issue, it started in no more than 3 pulls even when below zero. I liked that the Poo had LED lights they spruce the sled up for sure. When it comes down to it though, they do not shine any further than the Doo's (yes, I sighted them both in).
The Poo was hard on gas and oil though, looking forward to 18-20 MPG again with a full oil tank lasting 4-5 tanks. The Poo never got better than 14ish.
Would I buy another Poo, yes. Likely an 850, gonna have to be under 10k though.

FYI; Doo rebates are kicked in, go buy one.

Bear

old abe

I hear ya fuji, and thanks for the update! They don't seem to want to deal with me yet on what I want. I think I have another 2 week window. New intro's will be coming too. The Doo Etec is one fine 2-stroke engine for sure. Those who say there is no difference between a SDI, and DI, on 2-strokes, have not rode the both of them. I still have a couple of the Doo Rene SDI's, and they always run 15 to 17 mpg's. But to each his own choice of ride/engine as I don't intend to p--s on, or at anyone!

Just got bad news, close friend of mine just got back from his place in upper Wis. His 800HO Poo took a big dump on him. He's now waiting to see what Poo's going to do with it. Pretty rough shape as it appears. Bad luck!

Last edited:

DamageInc

Gear these days makes things so much better if you are dressed properly, have 2nds or 3rds of some items - baklava, goggles (maybe 4 pairs), gloves...be prepared for the worst and you'll be able to still enjoy a ride on the super cold days.

I suppose baklava could help keep you warm if you eat enough of them, but that tends to shorten your lifespan. :)

bearrassler

Any memories of really cold rides out there?

I have ridden a lot in very cold weather and could tell lots of different stories but here is one that comes to mind, I think it was 1982 and three of us decided to go on a long day ride, it was the longest we had ever attempted up to that time. Our plan was to leave our lake cabin on Big Elbow Lake in NW MN, ride through Itasca State Park, then to Bemidji, Cass Lake, down to Walker, Park Rapids, back up to Itasca and then back to the cabin. I was running my 1980 Centurion, my brother had a 1980 TX 340, and the other guy rode a 79 John Deere Trailfire we left in the morning, I don't remember the temp but it was a little below zero, we had to get some skegs for the John Deere in Walker and then continued on. We stopped to get gas at a place called Lake Alice Store a little east of Itasca about 7 PM and it was getting cold. We had a beer and the temp was in the -30's so we had some more liquid courage, finally it was about 11 PM and they were going to close soon, the temp now was -43 and we still had about 45 miles left. We made it back to a resort on Elbow Lake just in time for last call, I think it was about 280 miles on the leafers

snobuilder

Ridin' the COLD out!!!!...-18
Just braaaped over 8200 miles.....AND RPM's .... on the Poo 800 HO Haybailer Switchback....Love that sled.
The new shorty 800 Rush is a blast as well.
I was admiring the engineering marvel of this fully progressive rear skid.....not to mention the most durable and by far the best handling front end on snow as well.
Reports are already coming in that the Haybailer is still the best chassis that Polaris has.....but if you NEED a tunnel that looks like alla the rest, get you some Indy XC. You can't go wrong either way.
I'll happily take my 15 mpg avg. to NOT be a DOO snob..... ever.

Enjoy your beautiful Daafy Duck Doo, Doo boys...LOL

skiroule

Hat’s off to you sledders that are ridin’ hard through this little temp episode. I have to confess that I don’t ride nearly as much in cold weather any more. I must have been tougher a few decades back.

That's a windshield?? LOL

Funny! I guess that technically, it’s more of an airfoil, the intent of which is unknown.

Between the weather and the terrain, there was probably no worse beating than a running a cross-country race on a leafer. Come to think of it, the trail riding wasn’t much different.

No doubt the clothing has improved dramatically in terms of functionality and warmth but style, that’s a more open question. This shot of my wife doing a little drift busting in about 74 says it all: one-piece suit, scarf, stocking cap under the metal flake bowling ball helmet, she’s got it all goin’ on.

Drift_Bust_I.jpg

eagle1

Bear

Congrats on new sled.
Think part of Calumet county is still closed. Haven't ridden around here yet. Leaving tomorrow afternoon sometime for Yoop.