Riding 2-up on a renegade w/1+1 seat-comfortable?

indy_500

Hey everyone, sold my trail ripper a couple years ago. Last couple years I’ve been riding my 2000 Polaris Touring 600 when I trail ride, whether I have the not so little man on the back or not. I would say he’s with me 2/3 of the time. He is a big 9 yr old (almost 10) at 5’2” 140-145 lbs plus gear. That puts our combined weight well over 350. The touring sled I picked up 4 years ago with 1000 miles on it, has about 4000 now and is in absolute showroom condition and runs excellent. Obviously it’s an old school tank, but I’m afraid to upgrade because we fit on this sled so well. I do not have enough storage room to take on an additional trail sled for myself, and have been wanting a newer sled with a 2 up seat attachment, as riding an old tank leaves a lot to be desired, but like I said I have been hesitant that I will be disappointed.l and uncomfortable. I would obviously get the stiffer torsion springs, but what are your guys’ experiences running a 2014ish newer renegade with the 1+1 seat? The Polaris sleds I would like to consider are likely out of my price range, I do realize their newer 2up seat attachments are slick as well.

uncle_ed

Hey Indy
I think you would be happier with the newer sled with and without the passnger on board. When riding 2 up your going to appreciate the rider forward position so that the added weight is not hanging out back so much and will improve your handling and general feel of the sled. The 1+1 seat affords plenty of room for both of you and I think you would both fit well on it. Keep in mind its only for a couple of years and then the lad will be ready to fly solo!

harski

Stiffen it up bit and you'll be good to go. The 1+1 seats for the year you're looking are solid and comfortable. Been running them through the Doo chassis from the XP to G4 no problems.

Last edited:

lofsfire

To give you an idea here is my son sitting on my sled with the 1+seat. I know it one the one you're looking for but might give you an idea. My son was 11 in this picture. I don't remember his weight at the time. He did not feel cramped however big bump days you had to slow way down like normal. You can also see when he is sitting on the 1+seat he is back behind were you would want to sit as well. So if you comfortable you should have you full seated area available to you. Also I could tell a difference with my headlight aim when he was on the back. But if is scooted forward a little it was not a problem.
Caddy 2021.JPG

stg 2018.JPG

goofy600

The renegade we a 1+1 is a very comfortable ride did it on the gen 1 and the xs versions gen1 is definitely not as comfortable as newer versions especially if your taller.

gkolar

I have a 16 MXZ TNT Ace (with 121" track) with a 1+1 seat and it works great. I did have the stiffer springs put on in the rear, but with the longer Renegade track you may not even need to do that, just depends who's on the back. Should be even better with the longer track of a Renegade. The newer 1+1 seats have the backrest and with Linq they are super easy to put on/take off.

renegade

I was in the same boat as you were in just a few years ago and put a 1+1 seat on my renegade and it was so much better. There are times when I didn't think he was even back there. You will not regret going that route. FYI I never tried the stiffer springs. For sure worth it.

Tuck

Indy I have a 2013 renegade x 600 with the 2 up seat and backrest, it is the back up sled, guest ride or ride 2 up for short runs. It does very well and lots of room, yes I have been on back with the wife up front, She claims it is her sled still and hates to ride on back. With that being said I can reach around her or a smaller person and reach the controls if I wanted or needed to. I am 6-4 270 plus gear, wife 5-3 120ish plus gear, it handles the weight and has plenty of room for both of us. I do stiffen the rear shocks for 2 riders and have put the heavier torsion springs on the sled since adding the 2 up seat,