Riding Lawn Tractor Help..My JD is junk

famousguy

Ok, so forever I wanted a John Deere. About 3-4 years ago, I bought a 190c with a bagger. It is the biggest pile of junk I have ever owned. One thing after another.

Now, what do I buy, because I am done with this thing.

I mow about 1 acre, it is irrigated so it is a nice thick lawn. I really like the look of it when I use a bagger.

Any ideas on what to buy?

catalac

You could always get yourself one of those crapsmen. The guy next door has had two or three since I bought my Deere. Never a problem in eight years with mine.

Did you buy it from a big box store? (i.e. home cheapo) Those are supposedly different JD's compaired to the ones you buy from a real dealer.

intowishin

Get yourself into at least the LT series. Mine is now 6 years old, 110 hrs. Nothing but a couple oil changes and a set of blades. Oh, and get the 2 cyl. More horsepower and less gas.

lookin4snow

All JD mowers are not created equally. Stay away from the big boxes, as they have the cheaper large build varieties with a low price point. They get their lower price by making them cheaper. Sounds like you have experience with that. Head to your local implement dealer and shop around. An acre is good size, but maybe you are not quite ready for a commercial unit (like a Toro Commercial, Scag, etc.). I mow 2+ acres with a JD 425 AWS and have 900 trouble free hours on it. One hydraulic valve repair, otherwise routine maintenance only. Also have the MC Cart (material collection) that blows the grass, leaves, etc into a dump cart. I use that in the fall and it works wonders.

cyguy

I have the J.D. 345 with the power flow bagger. It's outstanding and the power flow has a seperate belt that keeps the chute from getting plugged. I really like it. Sure it costs some money, but I believe you get what you pay for. Good luck!

snowmomof2

Love my John Deere, bought it 10 years ago, never had a problem with it and I mow around 3 acres. Have a spring tune up done every year at my local Deere dealer where I bought it and then I'm good to go for the season. Would'nt own any other brand.

sabercat

I have a Home Depot L130 John Deere, and its cheap-o. Replaced the bearings in the mower deck already, when it starts theres a huge cloud of smoke, and I have to air up the front tire before every cut.

When it dies I will buy a real Deere from a real store.

famousguy

I bought it at Nelson's in Greenville Michigan. I have no idea if it is the same as the ones sold at big box stores. They are a JD dealer.

Either way, it is junk and I will not be purchasing another John Deere.

Anyone have a Kubota? I went looking at them today. Looking at the BX and B series with a front end loader.

local897

I have a 1964 jd 110 and it mowes better then everones high dollor rides around me! Good belts and sharp blades and from what I have seen i still think it the original block and piston! Sooo take that big box crap 35 years and still ticken!

raceinsnow

I bought a Kubota BX2350 with a 60" pto drive mower deck. It's the best tractor I ever sat on.It will cut tall thick wet heavy grass without skipping a beat. The only thing I regret is that I should have bought it sooner.

ezra

I think most new mowers are junk go find a old school tractor.the deck alone prob weighs more than some MTD pile of junk.if you dont have PTO you are just playing with toys

lvr1000

My 46" crapsmen is 14 years old with the 19.5 Kohler and tractor frame i.e. larger tires and cast front axle. Used year around, mows,mulcher, dethatcher, 650lb roller,drag, spreader, sweeper, and plow. Finally replaced the battery 2 years ago. Original bearings in the deck. With the exception of the drive belt, other belts only changed once. (cuts an acre)
All that said, can't wait for it to die cause I'll replace with a zero turn commercial. I have a 61"(semi) retired Bobcat Ransome commercial mower at the Wisc. property. That thing is incredible, does not care how wet or thick the grass is. Use to take up to 3 hours with a 48" big box store mower, now 45 minutes. More time for boat'n and refreshments!

todds

That's a shame. I was just telling a couple guys at work what a great purchase my 1999 LX277 was. I've been cutting an acre of grass AND plowing snow with it every year.

I lost an ignition coil, but that's about it other than gas and oil.

I've heard things about Kubota. I've also heard that Cub Cadet isn't the machine that it once was.

skidoolis

118168.jpg
best mower i ever owned here are a few ford, john deere, to a cub cadet this thing rocks 12 hp motor 28 inch cut you can go bigger.it will pick up pine needles good quality built mower also.... good luck with your decision

stealthv

Stay away from any John Deere called a "lawn tractor." The Deeres to buy are called "garden tractors" and are only sold at Deere dealers.

My now nine year old Deere 345 with 54" deck, 42" snowblower and 48" blade has been bulletproof - just oil/filter changes, gas and the occassional shot of grease in the zerks.

Once you have hydraulic deck lift and power steering, you'll never go back.