riding snowy range, WY with a fltlander sled( '13 polaris switchback 600)??

Clintondf

hi, we are thinking of heading to snowy range, wy in a couple of weeks. i have never been out there. we are western novices so we will be in the lower elevations, trail riding and meadows, small hills etc....is the plan. i wasnt sure of the elevations at those lower levels and wondered if anybody knows if I would need to make all the changes to my 2013 polaris switchback sled? like clutching and gearing. or if i would be ok without making those changes?? my other option is to just rent a sled from the lodge out there. which i dont have a problem with.
just looking for some info
thanks

Clintondf

Ya i figured. If we head out there i'll most likely rent. Probably get along better on a true mountain sled than my switchback.

polarbear

I have a 2011 switchback 600, 136" and have taken it out west twice. I changed only the weights the first time and did OK. Second time, I swapped the stock track for a 2" paddle track along with the weight change and did even better. So long story short, you can run a switchback out west, but you will be working more than you would be riding a true mountain sled. With all that being said, I wouldn't think twice about taking my switchback out there again if I get the chance!

snobinge

I think it depends on where you ride regarding elevation. When I was out there we stayed at Mountain Meadow Cabins and they were at 10k. Most of the good riding out there is 9-11k. If you have the means to rent I would get a mountain sled. Be careful...it is addicting!
If you are a novice it would be a great idea to get a guide. They will get you to the best riding locations to suit your ability. More importantly they will help to keep you out of trouble. It sounds like the Snowies have a high Avy risk right now due to a large ice layer under new snow. Educate yourself as much as possible before your trip and learn how to use avy gear. As far as guiding check out 3C. http://3csnowmobileguide.com/

Clintondf

Yeah i have been educating myself online as much as i can learn. Just to be safe. We are staying at albany lodge. We
Will be riding trails and off trail meadows and boondocking. Gonna stay away from the steep stuff. I think i am gonna change out my weights and try my sled. Probably
Be following my bigger bore/longer track buddies off trail. Let them
Make a path. If i find out its not gonna work out for me once i'm there then i will just rent a sled for a
Day or 2. Id just hate to get out there and realize i coulda managed with my own sled and not have brought it. Anybody know if there is any decent vzw service? Would be nice
To use the polaris
Riderx app for gps trails. If not no big deal. I have a couple other gps' that i will take and use
To leave a
Marked path that we take etc.

Clintondf

Anybody have a beacon or 2 to rent? I might buy one also. Better to have and not need. But atleast need more than 1 in our group of 4.

willey

Everyone needs a beacon, shovel and probe! You can rent them from oerentals.com. Shipped to your house and away you go. Cheap also. Less than $10/day.

600_RMK_144

Everyone needs a beacon, shovel and probe! You can rent them from oerentals.com. Shipped to your house and away you go. Cheap also. Less than $10/day.

Yep. Used oerentals last season without issue and have probe/ shovel/ beacon booked with them for my trip the middle of Jan. FYI - Call them, and they will likely give you a break on the shipping cost. And --- I agree with Willey, each and every person in the group needs these three items at a minimum. Not the place to try and save a few bucks.

winterrules03

Willey,

Thanks for the website!! We have a couple of new guys going to the Snowies with us this year and they didn't want to spend the money on the Beacons. Great price for a week rental!!