road crossings....

special_k

Question, many times in the U.P, where a trail crosses a road, there is a material put down on the tar. You can see it on the trail cam. I'm curious, what is that made of? I haven't seen it in MN or WI.

xcr440

I've noticed more and more over the past 5-7 years, specifically when the road is rebuilt or resurfaced. They are pretty much all over WI, haven't paid close enough attention to the MN trail crossings to know.

indy_500

one time when i went over a crossing it looked like just plain paint to me. i've been over crossings with like a rubber matting on it too. most crossings down in my area are so beat up that when you drive over it with a car, you can feel the vibration from the beat up road

maddogg

Crossings

Some of them are epoxy and others are concrete - I had to stop and check once. Does it really matter - at every intersection you need to spray the roost across the road and dig a big hole to look cool. (sarcasm)

oldguy

I believe Michigan Tech’s KRC research center had something to do with developing with the right combination of materials that worked the best.