Rollover I-75 Southbound Gaylord Exit

lofsfire

I sent this picture to one of my buddies when I finally stopped for lunch driving home Sunday. He said he saw it all over Facebook a couple hours beforehand. I said well that's about the time I was through there.. (12:30EST)

Just wondering if anybody had the scoop? Driver and passengers definitely went for a ride but overall the cab looked intact so probably nothing more than bumps and bruises. At least hopefully... Wonder if he had the sleds tied down or not in the trailer?

Screenshot_20220313-140840_Photos~2.jpg

snobuilder

I guess thats why you strap 'em down^^^^^^^

Heavy snow and pretty slick coming home from Laona today. Cleared up around Cecil. 3-6" predicted on top of the 2" early Sunday..... Trails were excellent Friday, Sat., Sun.

Strange decision made to close Forest Co. trails today at noon. Must be some non snowmobilers making decisions where they clearly don't belong.

dfattack

After 20 years of towing with diesels I couldn’t believe how much my two place trailer owned my newer F150. Then I got the truck weighted and it is 60% of a Super Duty.
The newer 3/4 ton and 1 ton's keep getting taller and taller and I only have 1/2" to spare in a parking garage I need to get in and I've been holding off ordering a new model. Then mid-covid supply chain went to crap so i'm in a holding pattern waiting for things to get back closer to normal before dropping the money for a new truck. I considered the half ton since it's not as tall but the main reason I didn't was due to how it would tow my 28' inline. I didn't want to be disappointed since I'm used to my duramax towing my trailer and have been very happy with the results. So I'm not moving to a 1/2 ton for that very reason, not that it couldn't tow it but won't tow as well as the 3/4 duramax

heckler56

The newer 3/4 ton and 1 ton's keep getting taller and taller and I only have 1/2" to spare in a parking garage I need to get in and I've been holding off ordering a new model. Then mid-covid supply chain went to crap so i'm in a holding pattern waiting for things to get back closer to normal before dropping the money for a new truck. I considered the half ton since it's not as tall but the main reason I didn't was due to how it would tow my 28' inline. I didn't want to be disappointed since I'm used to my duramax towing my trailer and have been very happy with the results. So I'm not moving to a 1/2 ton for that very reason, not that it couldn't tow it but won't tow as well as the 3/4 duramax
With a 28’ trailer I would definitely stick with the 3/4. I rarely ever had a issue with a 23’ behind my F350. Funnest thing was I downsized to a two place hybrid trailer and it felt like a parachute behind me, dumped that trailer.

acase27

I regularly tow my 7.5' x 23' with an F-150. There are zero issues power wise but a good crosswind can make life miserable. For that reason I'd like to go 3/4 ton, but then I don't really want/need a 3/4 ton for days I'm not towing.

A friend is waiting for his new Super Duty to be built and had to tow his 7.5' x 31' home with his wife's F-150 and said he actually felt a bit scared with a couple gusts of cross wind.

These 1/2 ton trucks can get the job done, but it is much more comfortable with the 3/4 and 1 tons.

heckler56

I regularly tow my 7.5' x 23' with an F-150. There are zero issues power wise but a good crosswind can make life miserable. For that reason I'd like to go 3/4 ton, but then I don't really want/need a 3/4 ton for days I'm not towing.

A friend is waiting for his new Super Duty to be built and had to tow his 7.5' x 31' home with his wife's F-150 and said he actually felt a bit scared with a couple gusts of cross wind.

These 1/2 ton trucks can get the job done, but it is much more comfortable with the 3/4 and 1 tons.
I admit they have the torque but after 20 years of my tow vehicle out weighting the trailer it is noticeable. The single biggest difference is the truck nose with a diesel really plants the tow vehicle.

For the 3-4 trips a year I agree the 1/2 ton maybe less overall costs. My wife loved the F350 and used it as her grocery getter for a decade. In the two years since selling it and getting a F150 she has driven three times.

snomoman

Snowbuilder… So sorry for this…did we “wreak” havoc, or did we wreck the trailer? I’ll understand when we meet (if ever) you wanting to put me in a “headlock” ….haha

chunk06

We had to use my wife's 1500 Ram last trip and I did not enjoy it in the Central Sands area on 51 with heavy wind and snow blowing across the road. A guy I know that goes through vehicles like underwear bought a Suburban. He felt it pulled his big boat better than all his half tons he had previously just because of the weight.

dfattack

We had to use my wife's 1500 Ram last trip and I did not enjoy it in the Central Sands area on 51 with heavy wind and snow blowing across the road. A guy I know that goes through vehicles like underwear bought a Suburban. He felt it pulled his big boat better than all his half tons he had previously just because of the weight.

I used to have the 3/4 ton suburban and it was a great truck and great truck to tow the toys

Hoosier

What is it about a 3/4 ton that makes it tow so much better - is it the extra weight of the truck? Our last trip we had use of a 3/4 ton crew cab. In the past we had a tahoe. Unreal how much better it was - no sway when passing semi's, etc. 3 place inline legend trailer. Was surprised how much easier it towed - same engine.

dfattack

It has to be the added weight. Heavier frame and other components equals more weight. Like someone else alluded to…dog is wagging the tail instead of the other way around. Just wish they would stop making them taller and taller. Duramax forum had guys complaining too. Many have to work downtown in parking garages and can’t get in with the added height. Now they have to park down the block and transport their tools and if they forget something have to go all the way back to the truck. I don’t like leveling them either so it’s becoming an issue

wisco-mb

I used to have the 3/4 ton suburban and it was a great truck and great truck to tow the toys
We had a '02 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton with the 8100. That could pull anything, but with a cost-gas mileage.. It pulled our heavy steel deck over for many years.

Hoosier, to me, the biggest difference when towing with a 3/4 ton truck is in the side to side sway. Due to a stronger suspension, heavier sidewalls in the tires and yes, overall weight of the truck, that drastically reduces movement when bucking side winds and / or passing other vehicles. In January while towing my two place in-line, I broke traction on black ice around Wausau on I39. Although I did get a bit sideways briefly, I was fortunate to get straightened back out w/o a mishap. I'm quite confident having a heavier truck was a big factor in that.

Tuck

no doubt in my mind a 3/4 pulls better, however I did purchase a 1/2 ton for a list of reasons and have found that changing tires to a heavier load rating so I can increase the air pressure for towing which takes a lot of the wagging away and I also added a leaf spring to the rear end. I will still get some movement but no where what it used to. Oh and this will be my last 1/2 ton truck just cant beat the 3/4 and up pulling comfort.

chunk06

It has to be the added weight. Heavier frame and other components equals more weight. Like someone else alluded to…dog is wagging the tail instead of the other way around. Just wish they would stop making them taller and taller. Duramax forum had guys complaining too. Many have to work downtown in parking garages and can’t get in with the added height. Now they have to park down the block and transport their tools and if they forget something have to go all the way back to the truck. I don’t like leveling them either so it’s becoming an issue
They are also worthless to work out of. Typical toolboxes on the front or side of the bed can not be used. The height of the bed for loading and unloading is a PIA. Everyone in the trades complain's about them, Some of the half tons are not much better either, then the metal is so thin you end up messing up the bedsides when you get things in and out.