Roofing cost?

nhra1000

Looking to have a roof put on in the near future....Looking for rough ideas on material cost and labor separate for both metal and shingled roof. Roof is as simple as it gets...shallow pitch(4-5/12), couple vents and a chimney. Would need 20 squares of material for reference. Roof has one layer of shingles and I would want to just go over it..One other question I had...if I go metal can you go over single layer of shingles? Any thoughts welcome or any roofers in the area want to give me a quote let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
L

lenny

I can give you a material cost on metal. Right now in my area we get 29g metal by ABC manufacturing for 2.62 a ft. So if you need panels 10ft long just multiple 2.62x10 and they come to $26.20 a piece, they are 3 ft wide. You can for sure go over shingles, I have done a few jobs that way. Some people add felt paper over the shingles to protect the backside of metal when the metal expands and contracts from temp. I did ask vendor and they said felt was not required and without it did not void warranty. On a 10ft pc of metal you would use 24 screws and I believe they are $.08 per screw. You can probably find better prices at the big box stores but none close to me and the service I get is outstanding so I do not bother driving 100 miles to get discounted pricing,,,usually! Keep in mind there should be a mark up on material depending on the contractor for handling and profit. I try an get 3.62 a ft but I have little overhead.

Labor I cannot help you with as I am not sure of the going rates but the material prices I listed should give you a ball park. Oh yea, you'll need ridge cap and thay are about $21 eack pc at 10.5 ft long. Some people like the look of gable trim, I don't but they are about $25 a pc, 10.5 ft long. Gable trim is a outside corner pc that sits on the roof and facia. It does protect the corner but I usually hang the metal over the corner 1" and 2" on the lower eves. if you have a ridge vent they become expensive. Menards sells a black foam adhesive back strip that you stick to the underside of the ridge cap that allows heat to escape trough circulation between the soffit and ridge. Menards price was 4 bucks more than I get them locally. Locally I can get a vent strip for $17 and menards was 22 but was 12 ft long. You need 2 vent strips pf pc of ridge cap (one on each side). Some people like closure strips all over but I usually use them in valleys. Somethimes I use a closure strip on a more shallower roof pitch like yours if we are not using a ridge vent. Shallow roof pitch would need a closure strip to keep water out on a strong driving rain when no ridge vent is being used. Closure strips are like $4 for a 3 ft pc.

Last edited:

rmk4ever

Pretty sure most shingles warranty are null & void @ anything under a 6/12, Id just go with metal with a low pitch.

polarisrider1

Pretty sure most shingles warranty are null & void @ anything under a 6/12, Id just go with metal with a low pitch.

Nope. 4/12 is standard pitch. warranty still good down to 3/12 in my area.
Lenny is that the nail down metal with rubber washer type roofing as on pole barns or the hidden fastener type metal like on the "fancy pants" houses. I got 15 years on my 15 year 3 tabs and was just wondering.

L

lenny

Nope. 4/12 is standard pitch. warranty still good down to 3/12 in my area.
Lenny is that the nail down metal with rubber washer type roofing as on pole barns or the hidden fastener type metal like on the "fancy pants" houses. I got 15 years on my 15 year 3 tabs and was just wondering.

the price I stated was the screw down type metal roof, not concealed. Concealed is way more, so much more I have never been asked to do one, but than again it's the UP

ezra

U can also put ridged foam over shingle.
there are diff grades for hidden seem Menards has some of the cheapest.10 ft pro snap is like 20 bucks .but the menards hidden fastener is not as nice looking as the commercial stuff u see around. same standing seam but panels are 16 in and have 2 prob 1 in wide 1/8 high ridges centered on the panels. deff better looking than poll barn but not as classy as a bank or culvers

asmski

I'm working on putting down exposed fastner metal on my garage roof right now. Look at both the hidden fastner and exposed. The cost for exposed was double and I just couldn't justify it. The exposed was more than shingles, but not by much.

I removed all the existing shingles and added the tar paper.