SE WI - Walworth, Waukesha, Racine & Kenosha Counties - 2018-19

ryanslyne

Trails from Elkhorn north into Waukesha Co have an actual good Ice base and some trails still just plain old white with snow. I was shocked how they looked Sunday after the rain. Thought we would have lost a lot more snow/base. I am sure the South part of Walworth CO is pretty bad looking as it was think before the rain. Maybe after a the next few snow might be able to get back out?

ridindirty800 I was surprised as well to be honest. We have a decent ice base and some crunchy snow left on our trails in East Troy and as well in Eagle area in Waukesha county were I work. Unfortunately last nights snow only left us with 1" or less in most of the area. I would say if we could get 4-5" of snow we could be back in business for maybe one last time around here? Looks like maybe Friday into Saturday? If that happens it could play out perfectly with cold coming next week and make for some decent March riding in SE WI. I guess we will wait and see. In the meantime I managed to get my A-arms replaced from the last incident so hopefully I get the chance to test them out down here rather than north.

RS

ridindirty800

ridindirty800 I was surprised as well to be honest. We have a decent ice base and some crunchy snow left on our trails in East Troy and as well in Eagle area in Waukesha county were I work. Unfortunately last nights snow only left us with 1" or less in most of the area. I would say if we could get 4-5" of snow we could be back in business for maybe one last time around here? Looks like maybe Friday into Saturday? If that happens it could play out perfectly with cold coming next week and make for some decent March riding in SE WI. I guess we will wait and see. In the meantime I managed to get my A-arms replaced from the last incident so hopefully I get the chance to test them out down here rather than north.

RS

DITTO, last night flaked out, was hoping for a solid 3" and then another 3" friday but almost appears they are backing off that as well. Another weekend would be nice at home, next week off the the U.P for our club trip.

ryanslyne

And it now looks like Friday will likely be a bust as well as they are fading the totals more to the north of us. Cold is here just patiently waiting for now....

When does the trails in Southern Wisconsin officially end for the season? I'm thinking next weekend, I'm hoping I'm wrong.

ryanslyne

Yeah it depends on county but 31st for Walworth is correct. I recall many years ago riding St. Patty's day weekend in Walworth county at the same time in recent past years I can recall riding my motorcycle or golfing in late February or March and our club has also had all of our trails taken out by mid March in the past as well. If the cold weather holds and the ground stays white we still have a chance. At least you don't have to go far north right now to ride if you want to.

RS

ridindirty800

Well sucks that we have this great base but nothing on top of it. Looks like sledding in SE Wi is over looking at forcast. But it was great season for a change!

timo

yes it was.
did a quick 70 mile rip yesterday and it was smooth and fast. bluebird sky had the trails to myself and were just recently groomed, enough snow cover to last the week,,, after the weekend it'll be toast.

Well sucks that we have this great base but nothing on top of it. Looks like sledding in SE Wi is over looking at forcast. But it was great season for a change!

ryanslyne

Yeah done for the year I am guessing in SE WI after this weekend. It's too bad we couldn't get one last snowfall to get the trails open again one last time. Especially with the cold temperatures we have right now. Oh well, it was indeed a good year for our area considering. In recent years past we have had the signs out of the ground already by now so that is an indicator that things were better this year. We are a long way from that stage for our club. Maybe one last trip north in store for me if I can find some time. Enjoy the off season folks, if you aren't in a local club think about joining one for next year. Will report back if anything drastically changes but right now I don't see that happening.

RS

snobuilder

Does anyone have a good reason why the trails have been closed down here during this 2 weeks of sub freezing and sub zero temps.?
When there is clearly snow and ice on the trails why don't we list them as open but in poor condition with no grooming until we get snow?
Why is it a bad idea to let the ppl who have a sled, have a brain and bought a trail permit decide what is rideable?
What are we supposedly protecting?
I have some awesome trails right out my door that could be ridden and enjoyed but I'd run the risk of getting a ticket and going to court.
JMO but we need to rethink trails open as much as possible.

Last edited:

SledTL

Got ditches? Its legal to ride any county road or highway right-of-way in MN whenever you want. Pretty sure most trails in SE Wisco are on private land, and I wouldn't want Johnny Rocket burning a corner down to dirt as people struggle to stay on trail when there is good snow. Not picking fights with anyone but if you aren't putting work in with the club in the area, you best not come b*$&@ and moan about the way it is. Pretty sure the rideable snow line has been somewhere around mid-WI for the past few weeks.

ryanslyne

Snobuilder just listing the trails open in poor condition and letting people decide what to do doesn't work any longer in SE WI or for majority of the state for that matter. A prime example would be Vilas County this year not even opening their trails until Christmas this year even though they did have snow to ride on, yes it was marginal and in poor condition but they kept them closed until they had enough snow to protect their landowners. I recall Adams county along with others used to open December 1st and closed March 31st and were open all season between these dates no matter the conditions and the rider could decide if they wanted to ride or not, with snow on the trails or not. This quickly came to an end within the last 5-6 years due to landowner issues. I agree some of the trails in the area are ride-able still to date but majority of the system is very thin with a lot of ice in some areas, any heavy amount of traffic will for sure ruin them. The reason it is not done and what we are protecting is our landowners and the future of our trail system. Yes 80% of the trails are through bean/ corn fields where no damage would be done other than to your sled perhaps. But the other 20% is what we are protecting. An example of that would be hay fields, no till fields, and winter wheat fields. Damages to these types of fields results in loss of landowner permission and usually gives us a bad name. Yes insurance can pay for some of the damages but it also creates more work for the landowners of these fields. And from experience once this happens they tend to shy away from permission in years to come which results in a lot of work for the club to reroute the trail if possible or just loss of trail all together. Our club specifically goes through 2 hay fields, 3 winter wheat fields, and 2 no till fields this winter where the farmer will not even let us drive a truck on the no till field this year alone. 1 hay field which we are already potentially looking at having to pay for crop damage from earlier this year will likely have to be rerouted next year due to the landowner. The signs are posted that this crop is here and yet people still tear it up and/or go off trail in these areas. I get that people with half a brain and a sled may not be the issue but the others that do not have half a brain (which there are a lot) unfortunately ruin it for everyone else. And SledTL is correct people for whatever reason cannot stay on the trail when they are open so it generally gets worse when they are open in poor conditions. So to avoid any issues the trails are closed. That is why they have been closed for the last week and a half. If we would have gotten a couple inches of snow on top of the base we have now I would have almost bet on them being open. But that did not happen. Just my insight on what we deal with in the small portion of our county and 25 miles of trails we manage. I know there are plenty of other issues and reasons county wide.

RS