Securing the back of sleds in an enclosed 2-place trailer?

xcsp

For those who secure the rear of the sleds while towing, any recommendations?

The Superclamp rear clamp looks like a good product, but not cheap.

Looking for a way to secure rear of the sleds w/o putting a strap from the bumper to a hold down anchor on the trailer.

ezra

good question why?
I have 2 small menerds floor hold down plates like 2 for 5 bucks.
have been using them for 5 or more yrs with just heavy bungee cord with fine results

ezra

the other thing is if u pack your gear I the heavy duty home depot black with yellow lid u can just put them 2 down the center and 1 on each side and 2 hi if needed and shut the top nothing is moving to far

ridesrx

I love my super clamps. I will never use anything else again. 5 seconds and it is done. And lockable if you want to.

xcsp

Just a question but why don't want to use a strap on the bumper?

With the design of the snow flap, the strap rubs on it. Currently wrap a rag around the strap where it contacts the flap so it doesn't scuff it while in transit.

Just curious if other options were out there.

zltim

For those who secure the rear of the sleds while towing, any recommendations?

The Superclamp rear clamp looks like a good product, but not cheap.

Looking for a way to secure rear of the sleds w/o putting a strap from the bumper to a hold down anchor on the trailer.

Just curious why the need to tie the back down? When I clamp the ski down nothing can move.

goofy600

Just curious why the need to tie the back down? When I clamp the ski down nothing can move.

Got into a rear end accident blizzard of 99, 4 place open trailer ( floe) with the aluminum tie down bars ( junk by the way only steel now) 1 tie down on the back also 3 sleds on it the one in the front came off the trailer all 3 ski tie downs broke and the hooks on the tie downs straightened out. So now steel ski tie downs and 2 straps on the back and hope we never get in a accident again.

scott_l

i have an enclosed fiberglass trailer (the top flips both ways) i used to always strap the back ends down........but then thought the same thing you did. Well a few years ago we where on a trip and on the way home hit some ruff roads. When I got home i went to open the trailer but could not the back end of the sleds shifted and the running board was pined next to the enclosure and lifting arms. I have gone back to the strap on the rear bumper, not a lot of tension but a little.

I would like to try the super clamp but that will wait till I get a different trailer.

russholio

I dunno, just a thought, but....if the back of the sled were secured (Superclamp, tie down strap, whatever), would that not possibly mean less chance of it moving around and putting more stress on the ski bars?

I've always strapped the rear of the sled down, just because that's what I was taught to do. Never really questioned it. But I know we have crappy roads in Michigan and the trailer can bounce around pretty good. I can only imagine that what's inside is doing the same if not secured.

maddogg

I always strap the backs down. Pin fell out on a two place tilt and she tilted up on the highway. When all was said and done, the larger sled slipped out of the bar and slid into the other one. All that was holding it on was a $4 strap. I will never not tie the rear of a sled down again. I really get a kick out of my friends who just set the parking brake in their enclosed trailers.

mezz

With the design of the snow flap, the strap rubs on it. Currently wrap a rag around the strap where it contacts the flap so it doesn't scuff it while in transit.

Just curious if other options were out there.

I'm sorry, but, really, scuffing the snow flap? Is this some kind of one off custom snow flap? Just curious because to me, to spend $145 + on a (one) super clamp is kind of crazy. You can buy a couple of extra snow flaps for that. Use a quality ratchet strap, one on the front, one on the rear, which are a 1/4 of the cost of a super clamp for a set of 4. - Done!-Mezz

Pizza Man

I have a enclosed Loadmaster trailer.
I ride my sleds in and put on the parking brakes.
Haven't move on all my trips.

snobuilder

d-ring and pull strap....unless you polish your snowflap some how....LOL...., I don't understand the so called scuffs you are worried about....never noticed any on my sleds that get cinched down to recessed D-rings on every trip....do you have sandpaper straps?

$150.00 for some sorta clamp device is insane to me, but hey...it's about time youse 1%ers start tricklin down, eh?....LOL