Seeking Keweenaw Trail Information

yamalaris

Can anyone tell me about the trail that runs from Gay north, I think it is 133 or 134 perhaps both, we are riding to Copper Harbor this weekend and would like to try a different route, any information would be appreciated.

Is this a real time consuming route?

Are these trails typically well groomed?

Is gas available?

Any must see stops?

I thought I read earlier that 133 was shut down for some reason, has it reopened?

Thank you in advance!

zrjes

It was still blocked off when I was up there 2 weeks ago, but you can get gas in Gay or Lac La Belle. I don't ride this trail too often because for some reason it is always low on snow, but when it is open it's a very nice trail.

If you are worried about gas there is gas a BP in Calumet, or you can go to the Allouez BP station. That should give you plenty of gas to get to Copper and back down, and if you are worried Lac La Belle has good quality gasoline. There are also a couple bars around Phoenix that have gas, and the Phoenix general store sells gas too.

Stack

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Trail 133 from Gay to Lac La Belle is closed due to logging. All other trails in the Keweenaw are open.

-John

snowbum

You can get gas at Lake Linden, however my knock sensor acted up a couple of times after getting gas there and I believe the Bear Belly has gas in Lac LaBelle.

yamalaris

Sounds like we need to stay on the main drag, thanks.

One more question if anyone can answer, is Mount Bohemia accessible by sled and can you actually hill climb? If so what is the best route from Copper Harbor?

mezz

Bohemia

Sounds like we need to stay on the main drag, thanks.

One more question if anyone can answer, is Mount Bohemia accessible by sled and can you actually hill climb? If so what is the best route from Copper Harbor?

Mt. Bohemia is "accessible" by sled but you cannot sled the hill. We have not been able to since the opening of the ski hill. Unfortunatley, those day's are gone.-Mezz

harvest1121

We took 133 about 10 days ago not 1 sign saying it was closed. I would not take it there was plenty of snow on it. But the 30 miles of moguls was not fun. We did not see any logging at all. I would not take it again. We got gas in Lake Linden actually. We had someone run out about a mile away theyhelped us out with a jug. They did not even want me to pay for it until we came back to fill up.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I was just informed that the initial "trail closed" signs and ribbons were taken down. New signs have been put in.

Hopefully these will stay up.

I swear, there are some real morons on this planet. Why they heck would someone take a "trail closed" sign down?

-John

harvest1121

I knew there was some trail closed up in that area but did not remember the number. We ate at the Marnier and finding that trail did not help the insides going to the Gay Bar. I have never been so sick on a snowmobile.

fireman35

Linden to Gay has been terrible all year. I dont think it was groomed once.If you are looking for a loop up there hit the eagle loop its fun enough some twistys in it.You can get fuel in the harbor, also vansville, and allouez at the bp like was said. Leave laclabelle and go south and back west to vansville decent trail there.

tpski

Logging hey?

Funny story then....I was told by the lady working at the gas station in Lake Linden that a beaver made a dam and flooded out the trail.

mezz

Logging & Dam takes out trail use

It is true on both accounts, first was the beaver dam which flooded over a bridge & made for a nasty mess. Now the closure for logging,, which has not started, yet. On the Lac LaBelle end burms have been put up as well as a number of posts in the gound & a large sign stating trail closed & yet there are tracks going over one end, knuckle heads...-Mezz

tpski

Thanks mezz for the clarification on that. I thought they were feeding me a line after reading this.

It was a shame to see that people rode right thru the caution tape ignoring the closed sign.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
They were logging in there earlier in the season too. Because of the strange winter, some of the equipment was getting stuck in the soft ground, so one of the logging contractors took tops from the softwoods cut and put them down along the logging road (which also is the snowmobile trail) to keep the equipment from getting stuck. At times branches from these tops would stick up from the snow and create a very dangerous situation.

Because of this and the fact that they are going back in to log, the trail was closed for the rest of the season.

There is a beaver dam that was made under one of the bridges and it is causing some flooding, but someone that knows what they are doing with a clam shell could take care of the dam. The main reason why the trail was closed was for the logging issues.

-John

polarfreek

I was just informed that the initial "trail closed" signs and ribbons were taken down. New signs have been put in.

Hopefully these will stay up.

I swear, there are some real morons on this planet. Why they heck would someone take a "trail closed" sign down?

-John

It's a phenomenon that most people just have to live with. But I am with you on this one.

qber

Just returned from the area. Like John said, the Lac La Belle-Gay trail (133)is closed and it doesn't look to me like it will be open this year. The trail from Phoenix area to Gay, however, is excellent and is worthwhile even though you will have to backtrack. Trail 132 that connects LLB to both Trails 3 and 134 is excellent. In the Copper Harbour area 134 and 135 are excellent and 3 out of Brockway was very good. 130 Phoenix to Eagle Harbour and Delaware is excellent. The general snow depth in the area is good. They have some new snow by the way.

qber

Gas

Two other places for Gas - The Phoenix store and the Vansville bar, both just off the trail