Sheboygan & Manitowoc Counties

Rsoluto

Every year I look forward to riding in this area. Last year the trails were only open for a few days. It looks like both counties definitely picked up 8+ inches of snow thus far and the LES bands are still coming through!

Can we get the trails open before the weekend when temps are forecasted to rise? Would love to hear from anyone with local club knowledge. Come on Howie. I know you’re out there. :)

Let it Snow!
Chris

timo

Not local knowledge just common sense. Was bare ground yesterday this 8 inches of fluff isn’t going to do much . No base. Going be 40’s and rain all weekend.

Several clubs are going to try panning this fluff down today.
Will compress to nothing but, if the winds pick up and we farm the snow somethin could happen.
Best thing would a little warm up and more snow this weekend.
Will have to watch John's forcast

Rsoluto

Howie. I was hoping you’d say that. Understand this sugar snow is tough to work with but at least if clubs can start panning, maybe we can build on that as you’ve suggested. Hoping we get some snow out of the next storm on Sunday.

Thanks
Chris

sjb

Spoke with my brother who was called yesterday from Manitowoc to see what his thoughts were on opening trails. With the number of wheat and hay fields, there simply is not enough snow or the right kind of snow to prevent damage. He gave a thumbs down. Unlikely they will open before it melts. :(

Rsoluto

SJB.

Thanks for the update. Makes sense. I was hoping it would at least allow groomers to start panning trails but from a post Howie/groomer made on the Kenosha thread, this snow didn't even have enough moisture content to make that work. Oh well. Looking more and more like the Sunday/Monday storm for NW WI will be rain for the SE half of the state. I guess I'll accept the fact that my snowmobiling this year (like the last 3) will need to happen in Northern WI or the UP.

Chris

With temperatures nearing forty the next three days in SE WI and up to a half an inch of rain forecasted this weekend I would place my bets on the trails not opening this month. Looks like even warmer temps, near fifty could be in the works for next weekend in southern WI. Looks like another dud of a winter for most of the southern two thirds of the state of WI. Look at the bright side, dealerships will be loaded with left over sled again and cheaper prices to clear out their inventory this spring. Throw down 15k for a new machine you get to ride from your garage maybe once every five seasons. lol When you can't cry you need to laugh at this climate.

Looking as if rain again for this area. With work and kids sports trailering north isn't an option.
Hope we get some riding down here some time. Alot of my friends have gotten out of the snowmobling due to lack of snow.

Picked up 0.48" of rainfall over night in North Central Sheboygan County. Look on the bright side, making room for that epic historical snowfall coming in February. Haha

Sheboygan county south of Hwy 23 will be open after 5 pm today. They will be rough due to first time open this year.
Ozaukee has been open all week.
Howie

Haven't ridin yet. I am sure it's not great but, there open, ground is frozen ride with care. TheRe is no base due to lack of snow that is wet.
Howie

Rsoluto

Thanks for posting. Looks pretty thin. Manitowoc County might pick up 3” this morning. Wonder if that would be enough to open the trails? I’m sure they wouldn’t be good either way but it would be nice to get out and ride before it melts this week. Only a few weeks left before it’s over.

Chris

That why we posted early riding conditions. with this snow there is enough to finally work with to groom. was out in the last snow and because all fluff it didn't work well. after all of my commitments today I will be out grooming. hopefully it doesn't get that warm this week. But if it does alittle it will be ice.
Enjoy what little we have this year, at least we opened longer than a day this year.
My kids were out yesterday and put on 120 miles. They went slow because of the conditions but, had a lot of fun.
Howie

Rsoluto

Thanks for the post Howie. Appreciate all the work you and your club do to give us an opportunity to ride groomed trails in SE Wisconsin. I know its a challenge as we just don't seem to get enough snow to work with anymore. I'm hoping to get out there today with my kids as well. They're excited to trail ride...even if the conditions aren't great.