Skyview Lodge closed??

goofy600

I'll bet the biggest donator to that is a certain family who runs a very successful company in this state who's name rhymes with....true line
There not in Boulder there over in Minocqua so I doubt it was them, but I have heard they have made some very interesting deals in that area regarding getting land usage changed.

pclark

There not in Boulder there over in Minocqua so I doubt it was them, but I have heard they have made some very interesting deals in that area regarding getting land usage changed.
They actually live right here in Manitowish Waters when they are up. They employ 100 people in their businesses in the Town of Manitowish Waters.

goofy600

They actually live right here in Manitowish Waters when they are up. They employ 100 people in their businesses in the Town of Manitowish Waters.
Ok, I knew it was more over that way and not Boulder Junction area. Are they the anti type people or are they pretty good for your area?

pclark

Ok, I knew it was more over that way and not Boulder Junction area. Are they the anti type people or are they pretty good for your area?
I'll be honest with you, I don't think they are fans of ATV/SXS's, they do support snowmobiling, and they are very good people who really support our town. They have supported countless projects and continue to do so. They actually live 4 places down from us on our lake, I have met them and once you get to know them they are very nice, Obviously they are super wealthy and keep to themselves but you won't find more generous people. Liz Uhlein runs the entire Uline Co. and owns the hotel, Smokeys Supper Club, Spa, Salon, Coffee Shop, the health club, which supports 100 good paying jobs with benefits in MW. The Uhleins are the 2nd highest contributor to the Republican Party in the US I believe for what it's worth.

euphoric1

Thats right...my bad, wrong town sorry. Didn't they actually pay for all of the store fronts there to be redone?

pclark

Thats right...my bad, wrong town sorry. Didn't they actually pay for all of the store fronts there to be redone?
I believe they offered to help some of the owners of existing businesses but all in all the town is very nice, There is also a new owner of the the Parkside restaurant, now called Manny's, just across from the Pea Patch who totally remodeled the place and they have a great new outdoor bar, patio, and music stage during the warmer months. Barry from the Pea Patch organized music in the park that occurs every Sunday right down by the dam on Rest Lake in the summer so many people have helped the town grow into what it is today. Even have a Dentist from Minocqua moving into the old Wine Barn next year. Labor for all these places continue to be a struggle for them but things are getting much better since COVID has gone away. Don't forget about the White Oak Inn (Chippewa Resort) just off the trail on Manitowish Lake for food and drinks if you are snowmobiling, they are snowmobile friendly as well, great place with full bar and plenty of room.

rph130

I'll be honest with you, I don't think they are fans of ATV/SXS's, they do support snowmobiling, and they are very good people who really support our town. They have supported countless projects and continue to do so. They actually live 4 places down from us on our lake, I have met them and once you get to know them they are very nice, Obviously they are super wealthy and keep to themselves but you won't find more generous people. Liz Uhlein runs the entire Uline Co. and owns the hotel, Smokeys Supper Club, Spa, Salon, Coffee Shop, the health club, which supports 100 good paying jobs with benefits in MW. The Uhleins are the 2nd highest contributor to the Republican Party in the US I believe for what it's worth.
I know a little about her but have never had the displeasure of actually meeting her. What I do know is that years ago my daughter worked at Camp Jorn as a counselor, and this is when "she" was throwing a lot of money at the camp for granite steps to the lake, paved paths through the woods and insisting that the kids blew the leaves off of the property on a daily basis. She had plastic sheeting put down in the craft area where my daughter worked and my daughter tried to explain that it was not conducive to the activities. That was the end of my daughters Camp Jorn employment. I also know that Smokeys is not really that snowmobile friendly. The bartender told us that "she" does not like the smell of snowmobile exhaust stinking up the place from the bibs and jackets and "she" would prefer that snowmobilers not come in there. As far as ATV/SXS's, "she rides a tiger or zebra striped golf cart on the bike path and roads around town. Made my day when a Vilas County Deputy wrote her a ticket for it. I guess when you have a ton of money, the laws do not apply to you.

marty700

She's not the first person to ride a golf cart around town. I heard that she took her ticket politely and paid her fine. They are definitely not the "tree-hugger" kind. Paved bike paths aren't for everyone, but many people enjoy riding bikes for miles through the woods - so if paved paths aren't for you, there are many, many, other natural trails in the area. She donated real money to greatly improve that little town and her businesses employ hundreds, all with great benefits and working environs. I get it - either you like her or you don't (there are plenty both ways). However, speaking as a complete outsider, the folks who don't like her seem to resent her spending so much money. As for Smokeys' not being snowmobile friendly - that has not been my experience. Yes, they take your riding gear to another closet, but we have been greeted very warmly there. (I wouldn't want my riding jacket and bibs hanging next to my nicer coat - I was told that several guests complained about the "smelly" snowmobile clothing, not just Liz.) We have stayed at the Lodge many times, which the Uhlein's own, and you could not find a more snowmobile-friendly establishment. Not sure about the ATV/UTV issue.

goofy600

Wow found out a lot more than expected, just asked because I’m from where she owns all the land along the interstate down on Kenosha but thanks for the info. People that have the kind of money that they do are either loved and hated most of the time some way more than others.

pclark

Wow found out a lot more than expected, just asked because I’m from where she owns all the land along the interstate down on Kenosha but thanks for the info. People that have the kind of money that they do are either loved and hated most of the time some way more than others.
That is a pretty good assessment of wealthy people, How is the snow situation up at Cisco Lake? I think we could open down here in MW but should wait until Monday after things freeze up good as it's still fairly warm. Snowing lightly right now.

euphoric1

That is a pretty good assessment of wealthy people, How is the snow situation up at Cisco Lake? I think we could open down here in MW but should wait until Monday after things freeze up good as it's still fairly warm. Snowing lightly right now.
Things should freeze up pretty quickly next week and hopefully with Johns 5 to10 day potential some meaningful snow coming for all of us! too early to tell but fingers crossed! would be a nice Merry Christmas gift from mother nature if she pulls through!

goofy600

We have gotten about 5-7” of wet snow, and have gotten our groomers out, today it the third time they are out in a week and half mostly to pack and clear trails from trees coming down after storms. Lakes are frozen but I think regressed with the warm up and rain. We definitely need some real cold to set in but I think we have a good start, I will probably take a short ride today or tomorrow to get a better picture of our trails.