Sled accident in Vilas, at Plum Lake.

old abe

Sadly another deadly snowmobile accident. The rider hit head on, a shoreline tree. RIP. May the Lord Bless those who morn.

2 in the Tomahawk area in the last few days...from what I understand 1 was a result of a headon with another sled and the other was open water

old abe

Thanks skidoodoug! Yes my wife told me last night that the snowmobiler that had been missing from Friday night had been found as he drown in a lake. Very sad once again, there must be around 20 sled related deaths in Sconny this year. :( RIP. May the Lord Bless those who morn.

chunk06

This guy might be a local that my wife knows a little (not 100%) she actually talked to me last night about selling the sleds until we get a place up north and time to only ride early/mid week. We only have about 600 miles on this season and the amount of people that we crossed paths with that can't keep right this season is mnd boggling. I have been riding almost 30 years and it seems to be getting worst. I don't think you can blame it all on drinking either as the amount of people i see drinking at stops have definitely gone down.

pclark

This guy might be a local that my wife knows a little (not 100%) she actually talked to me last night about selling the sleds until we get a place up north and time to only ride early/mid week. We only have about 600 miles on this season and the amount of people that we crossed paths with that can't keep right this season is mnd boggling. I have been riding almost 30 years and it seems to be getting worst. I don't think you can blame it all on drinking either as the amount of people i see drinking at stops have definitely gone down.
Thats a good plan and you will love being able to ride during the week. Understand that most have to take the weekend as part of their time to ride but you are correct in the fact that riders are certainly hogging the trails more. Perhaps they need to take a refresher safety course?

picbn

I agree 100%. Too many people don’t know how to ride right, worse than ever. Meet them on straight-aways and they come right down the middle.

ddhanna

Thanks skidoodoug! Yes my wife told me last night that the snowmobiler that had been missing from Friday night had been found as he drown in a lake. Very sad once again, there must be around 20 sled related deaths in Sconny this year. :( RIP. May the Lord Bless those who morn.
14 to be exact.

whitedust

Wearing protective vest or not should be listed. Maybe more people would use protective gear if they had a stat like that. Maybe not if doesn’t save lives. Maybe too complicated to make determinations that protective gear might have saved a life. For me I wear vest and FXR floatation gear as well.

wiscrev

Traffic has been heavy on the weekends and even though the trails look good, you still are running on ice as the new snow is nothing but baby powder. I'm going to guess many don't know how to handle the slick trails, just like they can't handle slick roads. JMHO

whitedust

Anyone else notice in that report most were older (40+ years old) except for the 8 year old?
Yes this isn’t rare it’s always been the older guys that have become fatale statistics. We complain about riding style of Ricky Racers but we really don’t know if they are 15 or 65. No way to know with helmets on.

goofy600

Currently tied with MI: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/-/medi...rts/2022-2023_Snowmobile_Fatality_Summary.pdf

Speed and/or lack of control (usually both) are the major contributors. Very unfortunate.
[/QUOT
Not that it matters but Wisconsin goes by year Michigan by season, but big point way to many. And if you look a lot are during the week so as MKW said in another thread way to many people that don’t know what they are doing riding, weather during week or weekend. I also think a lot has to to be blamed on the sleds way to easy to ride and way to much power. People can get in way over their heads way to quick on modern sleds. I have a whole bunch of other thoughts about this also but will save for another time.

euphoric1

Agree! .... "don't know what they are doing" and I think you can also add... don't care what they are doing! and this push for more horsepower, FOR WHAT???

snobuilder

Agree! .... "don't know what they are doing" and I think you can also add... don't care what they are doing! and this push for more horsepower, FOR WHAT??
1976 Yamaha SRX 440 was 300# and over 100 hp. ran over 95mph in 1000 feet.,,,so what exactly is NEW?

quit whining ppl.
Watch your local MKE news every day and tell me how bad snowmobiling is. Post the death toll. That will keep youse way busier than posting snowmobile deaths. But I guess those deaths fall into a separate category? No landowner permission and such.

XTEAM

1976 Yamaha SRX 440 was 300# and over 100 hp. ran over 95mph in 1000 feet.,,,so what exactly is NEW?

quit whining ppl.
Watch your local MKE news every day and tell me how bad snowmobiling is. Post the death toll. That will keep youse way busier than posting snowmobile deaths. But I guess those deaths fall into a separate category? No landowner permission and such.
Thank You!!!! 👍