Snowmobile oil

2003polaris

I know this subject has been posted before back and fourth. I have a Polaris snowmobile and used Polaris synthetic oil. I ran out of Polaris oil and bought mystic full synthetic oil. Is it really going to matter using this oil or will I have engine break down. What are your thoughts, only have 5000 miles on sled. Thanks

polarisrider1

I know this subject has been posted before back and fourth. I have a Polaris snowmobile and used Polaris synthetic oil. I ran out of Polaris oil and bought mystic full synthetic oil. Is it really going to matter using this oil or will I have engine break down. What are your thoughts, only have 5000 miles on sled. Thanks
Have fun.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, I'll go first. It won't make a difference, filler up, pull the rope, and hang on....

That being said, I'd check the Muffler Bearings and Rip Cord after a hundred miles or so just to be sure.

Hey, just having some fun here, the Mystic should be just fine in your Polaris.

Gary

srt20

My poo 800 has only had mystic run through it since new. Hasn't blown up yet. JMO, but poo oil, or any oil over $25 a gallon is just wasting money.

Now that I just jinxed myself, I better get some pistons ordered.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Semi synthetic is half and half, half synthetic and half conventional oil. Full Synthetic is an oil product that contains additional chemical ingredients that are not present in crude oil. In short, it's an Engineered Lubricant.

Last edited:

ezra

I have been running it for years no issues. a lot of my crew has switched over also

ezra

bottom line we can sit on this all day and debate what oil is best.
more than a few guys rum S&S with great results
Tons of guys spend the cash on POO /CAT/ DOO /amsoil/klotz/ipon/blue marble all with great results.
it is in your crank case for less than 1/2 of a second at wot so u
decide what u are willing to spend and how convenient it is for u to acquirer and run the chit .

eao

Semi synthetic is half and half, half synthetic and half conventional oil. Full Synthetic is an oil product that contains additional chemical ingredients that are not present in crude oil. In short, it's an Engineered Lubricant.

There are no standards that says what constitutes a semi-synthetic or synthetic blend. Synthetic blends are primarily a marketing-driven product that does little more than fill the void in the consumer's mind between regular petroleum and synthetic.

Here's the (fictional) directive from Marketing to Product Development:

Memo:

We are preparing to launch a new product line of "Semi-Synthetic" motor oils to appeal to the shifting mass of market becoming educated to and finding value in the performance characteristics of synthetic lubes--but whom, however, avoid the product due to its premium cost. Blend 10% synthetic into bulk petroleum oil for packaging as "High-Performance Premium Semi-Synthetic" at a price point of 220% the cost of regular petroleum oil.

Hoosier

I use amsoil for 3 reasons: (1) they give you cool stickers, (2) everyone else I ride with uses it and (3) it's widely available if you have to buy it on the trail (we backpack most trips).

I have about 7,000 miles on my Polaris. The engine was rebuilt for reasons not related to oil, so I have no idea if it is great oil or not. Guy in my group put 12,000+ so far on his Cat 700 before selling it to a relative so is still using it, but supposedly that thing will run on Cat pee so who knows.

There doesn't seem to be any conclusion evidence to support one oil over the others, and if there is, someone else will argue with it.I will probably switch to Mystik semi in the next sled. I have yet to hear of anyone having trouble as a result of it, and it's cheap. Seems like a no brainer to me. I would just have to plan ahead to make sure I could carry enough on a trip so I don't have to mix in other oils.

In the end, the cost difference isn't all that much to the total price of riding, particularly with the newer engines getting more efficient.

On another site, I've seen some quotes from a reputable Polaris engine builder named Indy Dan who says to never use synthetic oil because it doesn't stick to the internals of the engine (bearings, seals, etc.). That has made me wonder if semi or even non-synthetic is a better way to go.

Last edited:

switch07

Now that I went four stroke, I no longer have to wait on pins and needles for this thread to appear......reduced my stress level tremendously!!!!!!!