Snowmobile Trip to Copper Harbor

Hi all, I am trying to get some info for a trip from Mercer to Copper Harbor. We were thinking of riding Mercer to Twin Lakes or somewhere just south of the bridge the first day. Then do a Copper Harbor run the second day, and head back to Mercer the following morning. So my questions are:

1. Roughly how many trail miles from Mercer to Twin Lakes?

2. Once you are across the bridge, how many trail miles to do a loop to Copper Harbor and back to the bridge?

I have never been up that far north sledding, so I have no idea what the miles are. Thanks for any info and any recommendations on Lodging/Food would be great also! Thanks.

Mike

I can give you some information about #2:

From the Parkview Lodge in Twin Lakes up to Copper Harbor is about 90 miles. We did that loop last Christmas and had a great ride. Very easy ride; just under 200 miles, lunch (Mariner)and gas in Copper Harbor and back to Twin Lakes before dark.

Have fun!

zimmbob

I know that if you ride from the south end of Lake Gogebic (Like from the Gogebic Lodge), it's about 300 miles round trip. It is a nice ride. Going up the hill and checking out the view is awesome.

cyguy

Nice wide trails make this an even easier trip than you may think. There are a few loops and variations that you could add to see some different landscape. Have fun!

brad

Very do-able ride from Twin Lakes Mike. I do it several times a season. Like the guys above say....very nice!

Lodging and food in Twin Lakes: Krupps, Wyandotte Hills, Yooper Lodge, Park View (not sure if it'll be open). Lots of places for eats peppered along the way. Wildlife Refuge Cabins in South Range.... and you could actually stay in Copper Harbor or Lac La Belle too. These places are probably all listed in the Northwoods Directory here on this site.

Hope you and your crew have a blast!!

Thanks for the info everyone. I will look into the places listed as Twin Lakes sounds like a good place to stay for our trip.

ezra

once you cross the bridge why turn back find some loging roads and get lost for the rest of your trip if you want trails go to the MN north woods da up is for boondocking.get a guid and you can do calumet to copper in a day all off trail with maby 1 or 2 stops for gas and get a room at the mariner and get the massage you will need. but yeah your trip is no prob we have done bessemer to copper and back in a day a few times.

zimmbob

brad - so the Parkview isn't doing well? Might be closing? We always eat there two or three times when we come up and stay in Mass City. Love that place.

Anyone have any info on it being open or not? Just wondering. Always wanted to get the wives to go and stay there...

radsrh

zimmbob it is still open, it is up for sale and I think that has some people thinking they might not be around long.

zimmbob

Hmm, that would be a bummer, if it closes. Hopefully someone with the love for snow gets in there and keeps it open. They treat those of us on sleds pretty darn well.

brad

All as above. It is for sale, and you just never know. It really would be a shame if they close. Fairly good eats....real good breakfast, I'm local so have never stayed there, but I've heard it's real nice.

marty700

Parkview is a great spot. The rooms are nice and the hotel is very nice. The food is good and the service is outstanding. They really cater to sledders. Excellent amenities, perfect location, fair prices with a "no-snow" policy. I hope they stay in business. The last time I passed through their lot (the trail goes right through their parking lot) there had to be over 100 sleds parked for lunch.

marty700

By the way, my 14 year old son and I rode from the Skyview Lodge (in Presque Isle, WI - about a half-hour ride from Mercer) to the Mariner North in Copper Harbor and back last winter. We left the gas station in Presque Isle at 9:00 AM and reached the top of Brockway Mountain overlooking Copper Harbor at exactly 5:00 PM. We never went over 50 MPH (as I had a youngster with me, even though he rides as well as any adult). We stopped for lunch at about 1:00 PM at the Parkview in Twin Lakes and rested until about 2:15. We then continued with a few short stops until we reached Brockway Mountain. Mileage was about 170 miles from Presque Isle to Copper Harbor. The trails were impeccable - we hit only one stretch that was bumpy and it lasted less than five miles. Otherwise, everything we rode on was board flat and very nicely (and recently) groomed. The return trip was just as nice - although we added a few miles on the return to go through the Cisco Chain for a dinner stop at Bent's Camp.

We stayed in a really nice cabin at the Mariner North (they were sold out of hotel rooms). I would say that the loop from Houghton/Hancock to Copper and back would be close to 70 miles. You might be pushing your luck by planning to ride from Mercer to Copper Harbor and back to Houghton in one day. I wished we had planned for a second day in Copper Harbor, because there are several really beautiful loops you can ride up there and the snow is just incredible. Grooming last year up there was nothing short of spectacular (with the exception of a five mile stretch area just north of Calumet, which didn't seem like it had been groomed for some reason). You can stay in Houghton at the Radisson, which really caters to sledders, but I found the accomodations in Copper Harbor (the Pines and Mariner North) to be very nice as well. (Great breakfast at the Pines). I can always stay at a Radisson, but I rarely get to stay in a real northwoods lodge. I've attached some photos from the trip.

Just North of the Bridge:

113503.jpg

Junction of Trail 3 and Trail 134 (where Trail 3 breaks off to the North to Copper Harbor):

113504.jpg

Dusk on top of Brockway Mountain (wind howling - note the lack of snow):

113505.jpg

113506.jpg

Overlooking Copper Harbor on the way down from Brockway:

113507.jpg

Breakfast at the Pines Resort:

113508.jpg

Returning through Houghton/Hancock:

113509.jpg

It was a great trip. I hope to do it again soon.

lofsfire

I liked the Copper Harbor area I wish we would have been able to do some of the other loops as well We left from Rockland and our round trip that day was around 230 miles. read here

Here is another from the top of the Brockway Mountain.

Just click the link and give it a minute to load even after you see "Close Me" at the top of the page. Then click and move your mouse any direction.

360d View

signlightseal

I agree with marty700 we have stayed at the Parkview for several years now and have been treated really well. The rooms are very clean, the people are friendly, and the food is always very good. We already have our trip for December booked with them and I hope it stays that way.

lofsfire

If you are planing On staying in Copper Harbor here is one more place. The Bear Den Cabin.I real don't know much about it, but I met the owner last year. His name was Jake and there was the post on here last February about him, and how great of a guy he is! After only talking to the guy for about a 1/2 hr, that was my impression as well. Then a few weeks later I saw this post about Jake which just confirmed my thoughts. Anyways just thought you or someone might want another option!
Good Luck with your trip!